Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dunno if any of y'all caught this piece from Psyc Today. Some interesting data from a huge survey.

"The results of this large data sample show that, generally speaking, dog owners are happier with larger dogs. This is especially true for men."

I found this bit odd tho...

"For women, there is a virtually linear relationship between dog size and satisfaction, with the trend seeming to be "the bigger the better"

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/canine-corner/201808/do-people-get-more-satisfaction-large-or-small-dogs?utm_source=FacebookPost&utm_medium=FBPost&utm_campaign=FBPost

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Haha, fun little study! I don't know, I just prefer spoos over everything else. After them, I love certain small dogs and certain larger dogs equally.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Interesting, after having a small dog, I must say I prefer smaller dog because they are easy to travel with; and smaller poo. But my preference is a smart dog, I dont think I can go back to a not so smart dog or hard to train.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
There was some grain of truth in some of that! Age has a lot to do with it sometimes.....the older you get, the less you need, and I guess that includes the size of our dogs!!!LOL!

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
"...The dog owner's age also has an influence on the relationship between dog size and satisfaction. The data shows that younger people more strongly prefer large dogs than do older people. Older people (defined here as individuals at least 70 years of age) seem to be equally satisfied with any dog of any size. The data shows a gradual increase in the popularity of small and medium-sized dogs as people age..." (article)

It's the weight for me with dogs and furniture. If I can't pick it up, carry it or move it easily, I don't want it. A bag of small dog food is around 5-lbs. Bathing a small dog is a breeze and can be done in my kitchen sink where I don't have to bend over and like I would with a big dog in the bathtub.

·
Premium Member
9,556 Posts
I had big dog envy a time or two which is why I supersized to a Spoo after the last Scottie. My neighbors have formidable dogs patrolling their fences that have gotten out a time or two. Nice to have the same breed options for downsizing:)

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
I love small dogs because they are easier in a lot of ways. They also cost a lot less money.

But, if I didn’t have severe allergies, and if my health was good, I would have a big dog. My favorite of them all is the Doberman, and almost equal now is the standard poodle. But since that will never happen, I am more than happy with my little buddies !

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I got my first poodle at 25 and he was a toy, I like them because they can go places larger dogs can't, they stay cleaner (mine will not lay down without their blankets outside). My 3 dogs are 15 pounds and I can pick they all up at one time. I have had GS, Dobs, and collie, the only one I will never have again is anything with terrier in it.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There was some grain of truth in some of that! Age has a lot to do with it sometimes.....the older you get, the less you need, and I guess that includes the size of our dogs!!!LOL!
Ya, I was thinking of you, and Dechi, when I posted. Dunno if I'm quite ready to downsize dogs yet. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I like big dogs but I'd never had a dog of any kind until this year (I was 38). I always figured if I had one it would be something mid size. My daughter has severe allergies so we had to go with something hypoallergenic. We ended up with a toy. I NEVER fancied myself a poodle man, and especially not a lapdog, but I love the little guy. He's my buddy and I'd take him anywhere. I nixed my wife's desire to have him shaved in the formal poodle style. He's just a scruffy little furball who get his feet rounded and face trimmed, and general overall haircuts. No pompoms or close haircuts Most people don't even realize he's a poodle. And he's all dog. Little guy thinks he's a wolf most of the time..lol

·
Registered
2,858 Posts

Words of wisdom. Since my foot injuries, I couldn’t walk long distances, I’ve quickly understood why it is bad to have large dogs. Lucky is not a good dog to have if you have mobility issues. It isn’t just grooming concerns but he is a little clumsy sometimes and stepped on my injured foot several times by accident. Sometimes he likes to jump into bed with me and lands on my leg. When my small dog does it, you don’t motive, when Lucky does it, you have a huge bruise the next day. I can see how accidents with large dogs can end with broken bones.

This is a fun thread! I personally prefer big dogs because I feel safer having them around and they are less yappy. Little dogs are great companion dogs, which is exactly what most are bred for. They are incredibly loyal and affectionate. Most are just as athletic as the big guys plus very portable. I just wished they barked less.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had both but have found the larger to be more gentle less yappy. My last 2 poodles have been giant standards.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I decided to get a mini because it has become pretty difficult to lift a standard. Now I want another standard (in addition to the mini)! Each variety has its attractions - but I am trying to stay within the limit of 4 dogs.

·
Premium Member
9,556 Posts
I admire men who are unabashedly smitten with their small dogs. We have a friend whose first marriage ended in divorce and unfortunately his wife claimed their Tpoo and prevailed. If he ever spoke of his divorce, all he would say was, he missed the poodle. Happily, he upgraded to a better woman and a Mpoo:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts