Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This summer the Toronto Humane Society, which is probably the most well known animal shelter in Ontario, was rocked by charges of animal cruelty and mistreatment. I had heard for a long time from smaller rescues and people in the know that some questionable things were going on there and so was happy when it was brought to the public attention. Anyway, the OSPCA (Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) has been investigating the THS for the last 6 months, but it seemed like nothing was ever going to happen with regards to this and it would all die down.

Well something massive is happening now, which is that 5 staff members at the THS (including the hotly debated president) have just been arrested on charges of animal cruelty! Whoa, this is way bigger than I ever thought it would get.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/toronto/toronto-humane-society-officials-arrested-charged-with-cruelty-to-animals/article1378385/

Here's the original article which made waves this past summer:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/toronto/killing-them-with-kindness/article1160810/

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Wow. That's horrible, those pictures.. those are VERY graphic pictures, the eye photos get me the mose.. I'm glad these animals are getting justice.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
HORRIBLE! And frightening. I hope they get the punishment that fits the cruelty. I hope they have a good plan to rehome these animals to a MUCH better place.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know, it's a real shame. Hopefully they will bring new management into the THS and it will go back to being the well-regarded shelter it once was. It's a real shame it's been allowed to go so far down the path it has, but at least now things will hopefully have to change.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
OMG! What a horrible thing to have happened to all those animals! :(

I managed a small humane society in my hometown from 2000 - 2004 and there were a few animals who did die in their cages, but in four years it was probably less than 10 animals and most of them were "failure to thrive" kittens...

As manager, it was part of my job description to make the decisions which animals were slated for euthanasia. In addition, it was part of my job to hold the animal's vein for the veterinarian when they administered the euthanasia solution. I lost count of how many animals died in my arms... But I had come to realize during my years there that there were worse deaths than a humane euthanasia, administered by a caring veterinarian, and assisted by staff and volunteers who were committed to each animal who came through our doors.

That part of my job was the hardest, but it's the one I took most seriously - Not everyone would be able to do what I had to do and be able to keep coming to work... but to watch the animals at the THC die slow, painful, lingering deaths would have been a million times worse!!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I went to volunteer as a kitten feeder last year and due to their incredible disorganization and contradicting information even after I went back 3 more times, I gave up. I am SO glad I never had to witness that cruelty first hand.

It sure it something when the president of the humane society is arrested on animal cruelty charges.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went to volunteer as a kitten feeder last year and due to their incredible disorganization and contradicting information even after I went back 3 more times, I gave up. I am SO glad I never had to witness that cruelty first hand.

It sure it something when the president of the humane society is arrested on animal cruelty charges.
Yeah, one of my friends was a kitten feeder and said although she loved what she did, the organization had some funny things going on. It's a real shame when what should be a great organization turns so far from its path.

On a personal note, I have never been met with such unfriendly people as I have been there. In my hunt for my poodle I have kept an eye on the various shelters, and I have to say with the hostile reception you get it's a wonder they've been able to adopt out any animals!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, last thing I'll share, for now at least...

http://www.thestar.com/videozone/731865

This is horrific! They found a live trap cage in a drop ceiling with a MUMMIFIED CAT in it! How long was that cage there? Who sticks a live trap cage somewhere then forgets about it?!? Ugh! That poor cat who was trapped in it. :(

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
There is no reasonable explanation for this. What a horrible, slow, painful way to die... :(

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Wow, syke... Nice avatar!! Is that a picture of YOU?? :) Too cool!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
This is extremely sad, and unfortunately not a rare occurrence.
You are lucky if your shelter is decent - Especially in this economy.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I cried looking at those poor, defenseless animals. A real horror! My husband said that the guilty should be put into the cages in place of the animals!! I'm not sure that is enough punishment for people who would allow things like that to happen. I am glad that they were found out and that measures are being taken to correct the problems.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
..........Speechless.....that is just awful.

·
Registered
546 Posts
It's amazing.. the prez even went on air as saying "I am innocent in all of this". I'm sure he has convinced himself that he is a victim in this whole horror story... another reason why dogs/pets are far superior to people... I could hang out with doggies all day long. People often suck.

Here is the latest news on it:
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Humane+society+joins+Toronto+probe/2315273/story.html

They have temporary staff coming in to help oversee things..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts