Poodle Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brian wore a Petsafe brand bark collar for 2 weeks. he didnt bark.

however on saturday night when my husband let him in from outside, Brian yelped and tried to bite him! I told him to take the collar off, thinking that moving the collar somehow set it off, and zapped poor Brian.

When my husband took it off, he said there was "gunk" on his hand.

I put brian on the grooming table to see what was going on, and MY GOD he stunk!

there were 3 holes in his neck from the collar prongs.
I called my vet, since Brian was in alot of pain and wouldn't let me shave it or clean it good to get a better look.

The vet saw us right away and put him under. She then shaved the area and scrubbed it really well. She said that the prongs were most likely holding the infection in , and thats why we didn't smell it or notice it before.

I have used bark collars before, and have never had a problem like this, the instructions do not say you are not supposed to leave it on.
maybe they should.

these pictures are of Brian still under anesthesia, after the wound was cleaned.

He woke right up and started trying to eat. He is doing much better now, and is getting hot compresses 2X a day,an anti inflamitory which ends today, and he also had a shot of antibiotic. he is getting the area scrubbed each day, and neosporin put on after cleaning. alot of the inflamation is gone now.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
OH MY!!!!
The poor guy!
I've used a bark collars before, but I've only ever used ones that you can adjust the intensity. I'm definitely not a fan of bark collars and will only resort to using them in really extreme cases.

I've always started on the lowest setting. We've NEVER left them on for extended periods - and I don't believe they should be left on for long periods of time either... so I agree with you there should definitely be a warning.

I've used one very successfully to teach a rescue that he's suppose to remain quite in his kennel.

From the picture it looks like Brian was burned by the prongs? I've never seen that happen on any of the dogs I've used it on.

I hope he feels better soon.... poor guy!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yup the prong burned him, and then went in the skin some.

he is ok now

this is an adjustable collar it has something like 6 or 9 settings

I just had no clue

·
Registered
646 Posts
ok I am sorry but am really grumpy. Life just is really sucking the life out of me right now.

I have the same collar for Mandy and it says DO NOT LET THE DOG WEAR IT FOR MORE THEN 12 HOURS AT A TIME. Why would one leave it on a dog for 2 weeks and not check the think this has nothing to do with Petsafe collars it has to do with people that don't read instructions or the instructions are missing... Sorry for Brian.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
ok I am sorry but am really grumpy. Life just is really sucking the life out of me right now.

Beware of people that cant read instructions.
I have the same collar for Mandy and it says DO NOT LET THE DOG WEAR IT FOR MORE THEN 12 HOURS AT A TIME. Why would one leave it on a dog for 2 weaks and not check the think this has nothing to do with Petsafe collars it has to do with people that don't follow instructions.
I have a PetSafe training collar and I believe it says 5 or 8 hours on it too... I know there is an hour limit on documents that came with it though. Terrible that it happened, lessoned learned read instructions thoroughly ;) and check collars regularly. And if no instructions came then that's TERRIBLE! You should call them. (Even non-shocking collars should be checked)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I'm really surprised the dogs behaviour did not indicate he was in pain or distress prior to you noticing this? Poodles are usually such great communicators. :confused:

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm sorry Brian was injured by the collar, and that it escalated as far as it did. I hope he recovers soon!

I have to admit that you did not use the shock collar the way it was intended(ie, only using it for a a couple of hours each day). I'm guessing you didn't read the instructions properly and that's how this incident happened. I don't think it's fair to discourage people from shock collars because you did not read the instructions and mishandled the product. If used as intended there is a low chance of something like this happening.

But, nobody is perfect and as Todd said, lessons learned. Next time please read the instructions and check the collars regularly so this does not happen again in the future.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
WOW- look at the damage it did to that poor little guy! I can't believe I was actually considering getting one at one time. I think you should spread the word around to dog owners about what damage they can do!

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
WOW- look at the damage it did to that poor little guy! I can't believe I was actually considering getting one at one time. I think you should spread the word around to dog owners about what damage they can do!
It was not used as instructed (or had missing instructions). Trust me, they don't do that when you leave them on <10 hours a day.

Anyway, I`m closing this thread... there's no reason to make the original poster feel any worse than they already do... we know it was NOT done intentionally and I think everyone here who's read this has learned a valuable lessons about instructions, collars, and prongs in dogs' throats.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.