1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
561 Posts
Well that's pretty awful! Peggy's the first dog I've ever let lick my face, and she's so sweet about it. Yesterday I had a migraine and she zeroed right in on the affected eye and gave it a gentle bath, almost as though she was trying to clean it the way I clean her eyes every morning.

This article makes me squeamish, but the condition sounds so rare, and his particular case even more rare.

·
Registered
11,595 Posts
I think the answer is that if you even begin to suspect sepsis, no matter the cause, seek medical help immediately. We have become rather blase about it since the advent of antibiotics, but blood poisoning is still a killer.

·
Premium Member
9,095 Posts
I saw that, and thought, add that to the list of possible causes if I end up in a hospital as a medical mystery given my unwanted exposure to poodle licking. I felt so sorry for the patient too.

·
Premium Member
22,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it is worth it to wash up after the dog baths. Also as far as sepsis goes when recognized early nowadays there are vastly better treatments, unfortunately this man didn't benefit.

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
Me too... I’ll take the chance. My dogs love licking me, and I love that they do. If I have an extreme flu I’ll be sure to tell my doctor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
I wish the article were more specific. By licking, I suppose they mean in the face, so the bacteria is in contact with saliva inside the mouth ? Or if they lick a wound, probably ?

Flu like symptoms are part of my life, so I would have no way of identifying this bacteria has entered my bloodstream with this symptom.

I do hate being licked, but both my dogs do it. Merlin is an anxious licker and Beckie is an enthusiastic licker... Yesterday she managed to get me inside the mouth. Eeewww...

·
Registered
157 Posts
It's got to be extremely rare though because almost everyone has a cat or a dog and you don't hear about this situation often. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Although, recently I can hardly believe all the undiagnosed illnesses people tell me they or their family members have, so who knows how often the cause of things like this are missed

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
22,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dechi even the original case report does not specify how much licking or where the dog licked the man. It is noted that this condition is rare and usually matters more to people with immune disorders (which should be taken to include diabetics, people with COPD and others with chronic health issues). I would certainly not take this to mean we all need to muzzle our dogs to prevent them from licking us or any other radical measures, but I do think it would be wise to wash up after getting a good licking from a dog if you do have chronic health concerns, especially if you have any open wounds that might have been licked. All of us should always be alert for and seek medical attention when you notice symptoms out of the ordinary such as odd rashes and fevers, etc.

·
Registered
959 Posts
je puisse difficilement croire à toutes les maladies non diagnostiquées que les gens me disent, à eux ou à des membres de leur famille, alors qui sait combien de fois la cause de choses pareilles
How is this person posting without posting in the welcome area first?? And spamming no less.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Very sad for him and his family, but very interesting to learn about. It's so odd that the illness comes normally from biting, not licking!!

I agree that washing up after a bath of kissing from a dog is a good idea... granted I dont really like being kissed by my dogs to begin with. Norman sometimes in the morning will sneak a few licks on my face to wake me up but I always wipe my face off with a tissue or rag. I think the feeling of a dogs tongue on my face weirds me out! ..... I wonder if me feels the same way about me kissing his snout or head? LOL!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Licking is a submissive behavior. One of my fosters was a super licker. He was a puppy mill breeder, five years living in a little cage. I never let him lick. But, licking has other purposes as well. Dogs often will lick boo boos, his own as well as yours.

One day I found one of my jennets (donkey) licking a very young lamb. I tried to dissuade her, but she would not stop. I took the lamb to its mother. The next day the lamb was dead. My donkey was mothering the lamb, she knew something was wrong. It was the only time I saw either donkey interact with a lamb.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I saw this and took comfort in the fact that it is rare. But it does make you think about what seems to be uptick in strange infectious diseases. It could also just be that we hear about it more now with social media and the like.

Both my poodle mixes and the new mini poo puppy are lickers; my Bichon mix is not, nor have any of my other dogs been lickers. Never thought about that till now, guess it is quite the poodle thing!

I don’t mind some gentle licks on the hand, but I don’t let them lick my face. I see where those mouths go and I’m just not into swapping spit with a dog who was eating goose poop a few moments ago, lol! But to each his own, I know a lot of folks don’t mind it.

·
Premium Member
22,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Carolinek yes isn't the surge of new infectious diseases curious? If I were at all religious I'd be thinking it was all new versions of biblical plagues, but the scientist in me thinks more about global change, climatological and otherwise.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Carolinek yes isn't the surge of new infectious diseases curious? If I were at all religious I'd be thinking it was all new versions of biblical plagues, but the scientist in me thinks more about global change, climatological and otherwise.
I'm going with the scientist in you. Also, we've overused antibiotics for years and now we have resistant bacterias. I managed to get a drug resistant bacterial infection after my last surgery. That was... interesting. Ever watch a team of doctors try and figure out what to do next? They pulled out some emergency antibiotics, IV stuff they reserve for last resort. It cleared everything up and I didn't have an allergic reaction.

I'm in the bullseye with risk factors for infections: type 1 diabetic and a long term chemotherapy patient, allergic to penicillin and other antibiotics. Do I let my dog lick me? Not really. I tolerate it on my hands only, and then wash my hands afterward. I also wash my hands after teaching dog class. I wash every single cat scratch with Hibiclens. I can't live in a bubble, but my immune system is comprised, so I take this stuff seriously.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts