Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, 'bevels' are the nicely rounded 'cuffs' above a nice lil poodle foot. They are notoriously difficult to get nicely even!!! lol. It's taken me a while, but I've figured out by reading online how to do them fairly well, fairly easily. I took a series of photos when doing Paris this week, but the same works even with less hair :p

Firstly, combing all the hair down, and holding the foot right at the top of the foot, holding all the fur down too:

then start trimming all the hair poking out of your hand (I need to hold fairly firmly to keep all her hair laying down while I snip through it)

partially done to show what I mean:

all trimmed, all around, right up to my fingers (every little bit!!) including behind the pad by my thumb too (a little akward.. I know!)

and then let go!

there is always a bit of extra sticky-outties to tidy up, and you still need to round just the very edge into the leg. But it generally gives MUCH more to work with than trying to do it all by hand!!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I like this. I was brushing hair down and holding but I like seeing exactly how you are cutting it and getting into a nice circle.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was gonna also say that I'm really just posting the pics, cos I *wish* I'd had pics when trying to work out what people were explaining online! lol!! It took a bit of experimenting and fiddling about to work out what they were saying, and then to actually get it working for me... and hence I hope the pcis help someone else! :)

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
I was gonna also say that I'm really just posting the pics, cos I *wish* I'd had pics when trying to work out what people were explaining online! lol!! It took a bit of experimenting and fiddling about to work out what they were saying, and then to actually get it working for me... and hence I hope the pcis help someone else! :)
YAY!!!!! Thank you!! :)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Excellent shots - I had been combing Vinnie's leg hair down, but had not thought to hold it in place. I'll have to give it a try this weekend! Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Ooh thanks for the pics!! Those are very helpful. :) I'll have to give this a try later. It looks way easier than the way I was doing it!! (neater too) lol

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it is fiddly to do still, especially around the back of the foot (and for that I generally just make sure it's not way longer than my thumb holding it, and worry about neatening it properly later!) but it does get a better edge to work with than simply combing down and scissoring.

The same theory goes for ANY bevel, including mini and toy feet (note though that a thinner floppier coat doesn't show it as well!) as well as TAILS!!! I do the *exact* same thing with a tail; comb the fur up past the tip of the tail, hold it & trim the end off. Then comb it all down towards the base, and hold it firmly while trimming around the shaved band.

kPoos, I'm not sure how to show it, cos it literally is just tipping the very edges all around, there's nothing special about that. Like on the "let it go" pic, there's a bit flaring out on the left, I just tipped that with scissors, exactly as I was holding her there, to smooth the line. I'd put her foot down, and fluff up, tip any flaring bits or whatever, but nothing much.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
FD - I groomed Vinnie this evening and tried your method - works like a charm! It looks much better. I just gives it such a smooth look at the bottom of the leg.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
ok... no laughing!! :biggrin: My bevels are not NEARLY as nice as FD's! The hair on Vinnie's legs is not quite as long, so I think the bevels are not nearly as obvious, but they look a lot different to me compared to what I normally do.

Sorry for the bad photos - just my little point and shoot:

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Thanks - I am a nut about his nails - long nails are a pet peeve of mine - I grind his weekly before I groom him. He's VERY good about it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts