Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadly we are between poodles right now. We have had three standards and lost the last one last week at the age of 13 years and 7 months. She was a very good girl. We miss them all a lot. We'll be doing some traveling this fall and winter for various reasons so we don't think that it would be a good idea to get a new puppy until the spring.

I would love to hear about responsible breeders in SoCal or even as far away as Las Vegas. We are pretty indifferent to color although we have had two cases of toe cancer in our two black, half-sisters and I find black trickier for my aging eyes to groom as well, so it's not my first choice.

We're newly retired so poodling will be a full time job at our house! On-the-job training in agility and obedience will be provided to the successful candidate. Medical care, housing, and all meals provided.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
We are sorry to meet in these circumstances. I'm in the Midwest so no help for specific recommendations, but here are some links to start your investigation, til some other members drop in.

https://poodleclubofamerica.org/find-a-poodle-breeder/
This link should get you to pages which direct you to folks within PCA who can help with breeder referrals for your desired area.

https://marketplace.akc.org/puppies/poodle
These are AKC registered breeders but review their websites thoroughly. Look for OFA, CHIC health testing info in the site. If not on the website, ask the breeder to provide all health testing results and links (this will be on the dam and sire fyi). In fact, do that with any breeder you make contact with. A quality breeder will not hesitate to show the health documentation.

"Poodle Breeders" Standard Poodles, Miniature Poodles, Toy Poodles Breeders Directory!
All the breeders listed here are required to do appropriate health testing in order to list on that site.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/477233365657056/
Breeders here all do appropriate health testing.

https://www.poodlebreeders.com/
Another site with multiple breeders listed. Use the same caution.

There are some sub forums here where you can find discussions of breeders recommended, and some, not so much. They're listed at the top of Poodle Talk.

If you use the Search at the top of any page, use Advanced search for breeders in your area.

Contact a few breeders to introduce yourself. Even if they don't have or don't offer what you're looking for, it can be a close knit community. They may know where to refer you.

Love your sense of humor :)

·
Premium Member
23,170 Posts
Welcome to PF. A newly retired home will be great for a new spoo pup. Your plan to wait for next spring to take care of other business first. Since I am in the east I don't really have specific suggestions, but wish you success in your search.

·
Premium Member
9,694 Posts
I am so sorry for your losses. I’m glad you have some travels and commitments to distract you and give you some time to heal. It’s also a rare chance to have a little time off from dog ownership responsibilities. I don’t think you will have any trouble finding a great breeder of standards in California and it’s never to early to get a dream breeder list started or get in line for a spring litter. First pick!!! Welcome to PF:)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Also, it’s interesting what you mentioned about your black Standards - I have never heard of toe cancer in them but maybe it is on the rise?? I wonder if it’s colour related or?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sadly we are between poodles right now. We have had three standards and lost the last one last week at the age of 13 years and 7 months. She was a very good girl. We miss them all a lot. We'll be doing some traveling this fall and winter for various reasons so we don't think that it would be a good idea to get a new puppy until the spring.

I would love to hear about responsible breeders in SoCal or even as far away as Las Vegas. We are pretty indifferent to color although we have had two cases of toe cancer in our two black, half-sisters and I find black trickier for my aging eyes to groom as well, so it's not my first choice.

We're newly retired so poodling will be a full time job at our house! On-the-job training in agility and obedience will be provided to the successful candidate. Medical care, housing, and all meals provided.

Oh my god how sad. I’m so sorry. My family lost our black male Standard 4 years ago to a rare cancer.. He was 12 years old but the last months of his life he was so lively and happy. We miss him greatly so I know the pain you are feeling :(
I now have a red male Standard that is 4 months old - I almost swear my black boy has been reincarnated.
Welcome to the forum. You will find so much information here and people always willing to help! I only joined a couple weeks ago and already have learned a ton from many new, and senior members. Best of luck to you :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts