Poodle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so for Christmas I got my mom a HUGE vase, its 1.5 gallons in the "bowl" part and then tapers into a narrow top. The vase at the widest part is about 11'' in diameter. My mom is the principal at a school and for her office I thought Id get her a beta to keep her company in her office. She works at a boarding school and so shes not off during weekends she randomly gets called in on weekends. So I filled the bowl up to the widest point with tap water that I let sit for 24 hours. (and yes it was dechlorinated)

and then I was at homedepot looking at tools for my dad and stumbled across a very large bundle of curly lucky bamboo. So I bought that and stuck it in the vase, the roots dont crowd the tank and there is more than enough room at the mouth to drop food or slide a female hand in as the bamboo was one of those ones where its tied together in a tight bundle.

Then I went to petsmart and bought a really neat looking blood red male beta, some regular beta food and some dried blood worms. hes currently enjoying his time in the bowl with the bamboo. I was worried bout him chewing on the roots but he doesnt touch them much, just occasionally nipping them, and he never makes a mark so I think it is more curiosity than hunger. He gets fed twice a day, once at 5 in the morning and once at 5pm.
(I feed him at the same time my mom would get to work) I also plan on making his feeding regimen consist of beta food one day, then blood worms the next since I found out these guys enjoy mosquito larva in the wild. (in the spring I might spoil him with some)

The office has a window but he wont be in direct sun, there is enough sun light in there for the bamboo to grow so I think hell be fine. I was wondering if there is anything else i should know?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okay well i bought a tiny under tank heater =P
and betas are one of the few fish that can breathe atmospheric air, gar and plecos can do that too, but its not common in fish

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol Im not allergic. I won a shubunkin goldfish at a party a long time ago. I put him with two others I bought in a 35gallon long tank in our garage with a UV light and one 75 gal box fiilter and two 10 gal filters that I had laying around (which I planted pothos in, did wonders for soaking up all the ammonia)

(we have a heated garage, the water temp was like 60-65 in winterr and 72-75 in the summer)

So I bought a 20lb bag of pond feed and 4 boxes of freeze dried shrimp to feed them, I read that the shrimp help with protien of course but also enhancing color. Unfortunatly my fish were too small to eat the shrimp, they would suck them in but have trouble spitting them back out. So I refreezed the others and bought blood worms and fed them that. They lived for 4 years and then died of some sort of parasite when I fish sat for my cousins gold fish who was obviously poorly taken care of.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nowhere i know of sells ghost shrimp =/. But I did move my betta into a 5 gallon tank with a heater. He stays at 77 in the day and 74-75 at night. I no longer feed him betta food as he refuses to take it. He gets all freezedried food now. I have a bottle of bloodworms, brine shrimp, daphnia, and mysis shrimp. I feed him a pinch of that medly twice a day. he takes it out of my hands now. I also have a pothos, anubus and java moss growing in his tank. I also have an old phylodendron weeping its vines into the water.

Dreads is VERY stubborn and will not eat food if it isnt floating or alive.. if it sinks he just watches it fall and then turns back to me for more. So I got a dojo loach. The dojo isnt very pretty but he loves to eat all the falling shrimp and at night while my betta is sleeping on one of the pothos leaves ill feed the dojo again. I have a black apple snail in there but hes pretty sluggish and really only eats some betta flakes and romane lettus.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dojos get big ._. the lady at the petstore told me they get 6 inches....

What do you mean by ghost shrimp being aggressive? Like they will try to eat my betta, or reproduce alot or what?

Today i put in a half coconut shell with some holes in it in the tank with some java moss tied to the top. It looks like a hobbit cave. My betta doesnt care for it though, the loach goes in the cave and sleeps. my betta preffers to sleep on the pothos leaves.

anyone know how long it takes for java moss to start really spreading?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.