Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Embarrassing to admit, but our feisty little mini is making it über difficult to get medicine in his ears. He has a nasty ear infection in one ear & the beginnings in the other.
He is the sweetest, most empathetic boy most of the time, but has some major issues around control & becomes aggressive when frightened. He allowed the vet & techs to clean his ears & demonstrate the first application - squeeze bottle - of medicine, but at home it's another story.
I actually bought a muzzle, but he wriggles & twists like a squid when I try to put it on!!! Feeling rather inept at the moment.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
The vets have a new med for ears that they administer 2x two weeks apart. We did this when my guy had an infection. I now clean his ears once a week when there is no pain and he is finally getting use to it. Not loving in but much better.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
The vets have a new med for ears that they administer 2x two weeks apart. We did this when my guy had an infection. I now clean his ears once a week when there is no pain and he is finally getting use to it. Not loving in but much better.
That medication is called Osurnia and I think I would go back to the vet and ask for it. You will get much better results since it sits deep in the ear and releases medication ongoing. Fighting with a pup who isn't feeling well and has painful ears is going to be problematic when it comes to accepting regular ear grooming later in life.

In the meantime, you cannot just expect a dog that is distressed and uncomfortable to accept a muzzle. A pup that has painful ears is already pretty stressed out and this is not the time to train something as dramatic as wearing a muzzle.

You have to train a dog to accept a muzzle and it is well worth doing. Put the dog on a leash so they can't take off on you. Hold the muzzle cupped in one hand and have some treats in the palm of that same hand. Let the dog go to the muzzle hand to get the treats and let him disengage when he wants. Keep doing with the dog making the decision to engage. Once that is going well have treats in your hand with the muzzle between your fingers so the dog can't rapidly grab the treats and gently push the muzzle onto the dog's snout. If it accepts that then let him get the treats reasonably quickly. Keep doing that until the dog happily let's you put the muzzle fully onto his snout. After that you can now start working on fastening the muzzle, again going in baby steps. Once you have the dog readily wearing the muzzle without resistance then you will be able to use it on a dog in distress. It is important to refresh the training of accepting the muzzle periodically. All of our dogs are trained to accept muzzles.

I use these muzzles. https://www.chewy.com/baskerville-ultra-dog-muzzle-black/dp/117371?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Baskerville&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuMiH2_Li3QIV2uDICh2DFAYsEAQYASABEgLoAPD_BwE

Reactions: fjm

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I never did ask the vet what the name of that ear med was, but it quickly gave him relief so that you could touch his ear. In two weeks we went back got the 2nd dose and he has been fine since. I am pretty careful with his ears and keep them pretty clean.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Both my dogs have occasional ear infections--Blue saw the vet on Friday for another one--and I asked for the one-time treatment. I've used the daily med in the past, but since this one-time stuff became available, my dogs haven't had anything else. It is waxy, will make some of the hair on the ear leathers messy, but it works like a charm, and it's waaaay easier for dog and human.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Just me, but I do have a history of working for large breeders and handlers and taking care of upwards of 50 or more poodles at a time, I have had to take care of more ear problems than I care to admit, it is unfortunately, a poodle problem.

Granted some ear problems are worse than others, some extremely painful, but for the general ear problems, here's what I did.

First show no emotions as you treat the ears. Poodles are so in tuned to you they feel your distress and that makes them distressed. K, I know that is not easy, my dogs are my kids, of course I feel distressed at any hurt, but turn that part of you off. Believe it not, body language really makes a difference.

Don't start with just grabbing the ear and treating, do other things first, brush, clip, or just a friendly belly rub, all in a matter of fact way. Then work the ear treatment into the routine. This doesn't mean they are going to like it any less, just accept it as a part of a routine.

But most importantly, find out what caused the problem in the first place, does your poodle need the hair in his ears plucked or clipped more often? Some poodles ears are hairier than others and preventive maintenance varies. For example, my Roland has very hairy, waxy, inner ears and must be plucked, others here will tell you that their poodle just needs the outer hair of their ears clipped and I've seen poodle ears like that. My Roland came with ear infections, plucking after I got them cleared up has kept them away, if I don't pluck at least once a month a new one starts. Unfortunately I can tell he's going to be one that needs constant attention, but to me, it's just something I have to do to keep my little man healthy and using what I already said, a part of our everyday life.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all so very much for your comments and suggestions!
I will definitely go back to the vet & ask for the one time treatment.
It was a vet tech that suggested the muzzle, but it makes perfect sense to me that you would have to train a dog to accept one prior to needing it when in pain. Thanks for the detailed explanation of how to train that.
And the detachment while handling or grooming, so hard to do!! I have practiced it while grooming him, but I was upset & nervous myself when trying to apply the ear meds so I'm sure that came across.

Thanks again, everyone! This is such a helpful site!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts