Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am ready to buy some clippers. I would like to get some expert advice. I have been reading about Wahl and Andis,and Oster. I have read that the Oste's get to hot. I would love to hear your words of wisdom.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I am partial to my Andis. I have 3 different versions of theirs and love them. I also use their blades. They are quiet and don't get hot. They are also the most comfortable in your hand. I recently bought their newest cordless version. I am very happy with them, which I was not expecting to be. They are great. The charge lasts about an hour of continuous grooming.

Good luck. If you have any questions I'll be glad to help.

·
Registered
478 Posts
"I just recently got the book "Poodle Clipping and Grooming" on Amazon.com and LOVE it. I has wonderful photos and drawings and a great list of must haves when grooming your dog. I HIGHLY recommend this book!" Ladybug

This was recommended in another thread. I went to school to learn so I don't know of any personally. Also look in the "OMG It's so expensive at the groomer." There are alot of suggestions in there and some video links on youtube. I watched one and it was very informative. :)

·
Registered
575 Posts
I prefer Laube clippers personally. I've got the Andis Ultra Edge and it hurts my hand because it's so heavy. It also heats up quickly when working on heavy coat and seems to not be powerful enough to get thru it easily.

The Laube is more expensive, but professionally speaking, it's a better clipper.

ETA: For strictly poodle grooming the Kalstone book is great and if you want a little more info, the Notes from the Grooming table book is excellant. The instructions are so easy to understand and it has great drawings for reference. It also explains all the prep work a lot better IMPO, than the Kalstone book

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
My Laubes are very light and easy to work with and barely gets warm. Mine is the speed feed. The only thing I can compare to are Wahl which I don't mind them for an all over trim with a comb - these get hot so I don't use these often.

When I was looking for comparisons not long ago I came here and then I took the info and went to amazon and ebay and read tons of reviews and looked at what clippers were really selling. I am a BIG amateur but wanted to be sure that I got at least good clippers for all 4 dogs. The bigger sellers were Oster, Andis and Laube. Now Andis so many like, and I am sure they are good but I have also read that they have a great marketing strategy versus the others so this really helps sell a brand too. They are a hot brand at the moment.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The Laube Speed Feeds are FANTASTIC trimmers! I have used mine for nearly 4 years, EVERYDAY. Never a problem except to change the blades. I don't like the ceramic one tho, I prefer the steel. I can do small dog clips all over with their attachment combs (made for that trimmer), but for larger dogs, you would need a full sized clipper like the Laube Mini Micro or Lightening. The Speed Feed is my choice for doing feet and faces on all size dogs. I have a Mini Micro and a Lightening and can't groom without them. I have problems with CTS and the other clippers are far to heavy and awkward, making my pain flare up and causing fatigue.

For snap on combs, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Wahl Steel combs. They glide thru the coat like butter ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
clippers

I was just going to start searching for the laube clipper . Thank you
I will look for the speed feeds and the wahl steel combs. Great

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
For about $130 you can a very decent clipper that will provide a couple years service. I usually order from www.petedge.com. They usually come with a 10 blade. I prefer Wahl KM 2 and get an extra Wahl #9 blade....excellent for using under a set of Wahl Stainless Steel Snap-on Combs. For the best feet get the Wahl cordless rechargable Chromado OR Bravura. Good equipment more than pays for itself. Keep you blades sharp

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
I will have to get a set of Laube's and try them. I am an Oster girl. I have six sets. They are all I have ever used. I feel safe going with the pioneer. I have one set of two speeds and never use the higher speed because they heat up way too fast. I love my Osters, but do admit they can get pretty hot pretty quick. And if your hands are small, they are pretty big so may not be very comfortable for you.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Arreau, I also have the Laube Speed Feed clippers and I really, really like them for doing Lucy's FFT! It has an adjustable blade so no need to change blades for different lengths (but the downside is they can't be sharpened - you just need to buy another if it's not sharp anymore...) I also have a couple of other clippers and a couple of other trimmers, but I always reach for the Laube! :)

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
No, you don't need to buy a whole new CLIPPER, just the blade that snaps onto the clipper - I haven't priced them yet, but I'm guessing they'll be around the $20 (less than $30 more than likely) Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Just a note. I have no experience with the speed feed, but it sounds alot like the wahl arco. I can really only use it for face/feet, or for shaving my cat :D unless i want a super short cut on Rileys body. I had to buy a "big" clipper with changeable blades to do longer body cuts. I wont give up my arco for anything, but it is not an "all around clipper".

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am a big fan of Andis clippers and basically Andis everything. My dog clippers are Andis and I just love them. They do a great job! All of my different blades are also Andis and my dryer is also Andis. I also have 2 horses, so my big heavy duty body clippers are of course Andis and my smaller trimmers are also Andis. You can't go wrong with Andis, they are great and I can't say enough good things about the Andis line. :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
I use the Andis UltraEdge 2 speed, which I only use for the body, with or without the Wahl Stainless Steel combs. I'm going to order a Wahl KM2 - tried one and love, love, love it! For FF&T it's the cordless Wahl Moser Arco, hands down. They don't get hot, they're easy to use, and do a beautiful job. Replacement blades are $18.

I ordered the Laube Speed Feed, and it was a waste of money. Laube's customer service (hah) is pretty bad, according to several groomers I know, and is the general concensus on two groomer forums. The Wahl Arco is a much better clipper, IMO. I still have the first one I ordered back in 2003, and it works, and works great!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts