Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody,
I would really like to hear from you all about your best training tips for your Spoos.

TIA

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
Anything that encourages impulse control and connected attention. For a start look up Susan Garrett's Its Yer Choice.

Reactions: Fenris-wolf and Liz

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
Dechi good training is good training, plain and simple!

·
Super Moderator
3,572 Posts
My #1 tip is for everyone in your household to have at least one session with a positive reinforcement trainer. Not exaggerating when I say it changed my life.

I was in way over my head with this smart poodle. (Still kinda am. Lol.)

·
Registered
290 Posts
I always tell my clients that its important to stay interesting to your pup. While its important to be consistent it training that doesn't mean boring. Also if something isnt working, change the conversation. My pups start out velcro dogs but as they mature they get adventurous so I'll catch them not paying attention & tuck in & hide. Most of the time when pup discovers um missing, they have a small urgency. WHERE is she? & they'll use their nose to find me. Sometimes I'll call out one time. Now she's got to find me. Then when they do we have a party & say, "you found me!" Now um interesting. Pup thinks, man, I gotta keep an eye out. My human gets lost. In tracking it's a handler lost exercise & the start of a career. If the dog has children in the household I'll train the dogs to locate their kids. For the kids it's like hide & seek. For the dog its search. For the parents its peace of mind. But it makes us more interesting.

I've made obstacles in my house to train with my dogs just out of the blue. It keeps us from becoming the dude with the leash they want to avoid

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts