Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using nice el-cheapo Bio-Groom Super White shampoo for some time. Somehow my white mini manages to stay fairly clean and white, with no smell, so I only wash and groom him about every 6-8 weeks.

With this last wash, I noticed that parts of torso have a grayish cast, which I think is due to overuse of the bluing shampoo? So now I'd like to get the most wonderful non-whitening shampoo.

I don't want a shampoo for more coarse poodle fur since his barely changed from his soft puppy fur. I think it needs to be conditioning so that I'll be able to detangle him after washing and be able to plow through his coat with a clipper.

A lot of people like CC shampoos, though there are so many different ones. Should I spluge on Les Pooch? Any other recommendations? Should I use a conditioner also?

THANKS!! Vicki

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Personally I like to use Minksheen in between grooms. It is a 2-in-1 that seems to condition pretty well. The scent took some getting used to but after a bit I came to like it. I wouldn't use it for a pre-groom bath because it weighs down the coat a bit, but it's perfect for an easy quick bath that won't dry the hair out.

·
Premium Member
Killa and Tekno
136 Posts
Hi former groomer here, I recommend Chris Christensen White on White followed by Thick and Thicker products (I like the foam). These products work like magic for limp coats :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi former groomer here, I recommend Chris Christensen White on White followed by Thick and Thicker products (I like the foam). These products work like magic for limp coats :)

His coat is fluffy, not limp. - Isn't CC White on White another blue/purple shampoo? I need a non-bluing shampoo so that I don't get the gray cast over time.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Hi, your dog is super cute!
I use CC Spectrum One Shampoo and Conditioner. I really like them, even though they are for course coats they make it much easier to clip and scissor. They are both clear.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, your dog is super cute!
I use CC Spectrum One Shampoo and Conditioner. I really like them, even though they are for course coats they make it much easier to clip and scissor. They are both clear.
I thought about Spectrum One, but wondered if it would be a bit heavy for his soft, fluffy fur. More wavy than curly. A lot like puppy fur.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here he is before bath and grooming -- 2 months since last wash and full groom. Kind of wooly, not sparkling-white but not dirty, no smell, still very soft. With that thick wooly sheep-like coat (and I keep it a little longer in winter), I need to be able to get it clip-able, without too much trauma, after washing -- 3/4" blade in winter, 1/2" in summer. I do a combo of blow drying & combing, drying & brushing/ combing,... I prefer not to wash him very often, I figure it's better for his coat. Even though it would make clipping easier, since his coat would be shorter.

I've used CC Thick & thicker foam, but it seemed to make him get frumpier than usual. A bit heavy I guess. -- Thanks!

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
To get coat brushable without trauma, I would use a detangler. I follow that with a soft plastic-tipped slicker and slowly brush my way through the coat.

·
Premium Member
Killa and Tekno
136 Posts
His coat is fluffy, not limp. - Isn't CC White on White another blue/purple shampoo? I need a non-bluing shampoo so that I don't get the gray cast over time.
Fluffy and limp mean the same thing to me in terms of coat type, it might be a groomer thing. All I mean though is A coat that is the opposite of coarse. If you don’t want bluing I recommend any of the other Christensen products for general use.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts