Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,
I am new to the group and poodle parenting. My miniature poodle Molly is 11 months old And I just want to do what is best for her. I am very confused on poodle diet. I have had people tell me to feed them just a grain free dry food diet and I have had other people tell me to feed them them the kibble plus fruits and vegetables but no canned food. I would appreciate all of you experienced Poodle parents to help me out with advice in anyway you can. I cook her eggs and several other things several times a week because I tend to get wrapped up in what makes her happy and not necessarily what is good for her. She has severe itching under the neck she bites at her thigh area where she has chewed some hair off she pause at her ears So I’m kind of lost and it breaks my heart to see her do this. She gets bathed every Wednesday professionally with an all natural shampoo at least they tell me that it’s all natural and I just want what’s best for Molly I am open to any suggestions thank you in advance

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
What does her vet recommend? It sounds like a visit may be in order since she's itching and chewing her hair.

The best advice that I can give you is NOT to take advice from non-professionals.

My own dog eats Royal Canin dry poodle food at his vet's recommendation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What does her vet recommend? It sounds like a visit may be in order since she's itching and chewing her hair.

The best advice that I can give you is NOT to take advice from non-professionals.

My own dog eats Royal Canin dry poodle food at his vet's recommendation.
Thank you very much for the response. So you’re a poodle eats only dry food?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cut out all the human food. Possibly allergic to chicken based dog food. Try feeding a salmon based food. I only feed dry kibble.
Thank you so much for the response. She does get human food and that’s because I feel so guilty eating in front of her I am a horrible person when it comes to that I need to realize that she would be much happier if I don’t give it to her. My husband does not agree with me he has only had big dogs in the past but they only get dry food I don’t know how to stop her from begging when I am eating any suggestions would be good I have a hard time being forceful with her

·
Registered
18 Posts
Our toy eats the same! You want to feed your pup a diet that is approved by veterinary nutritionists (royal canin, purina pro plan, hills science are a few). Here's a good article by Tufts' vet med center about it . Our toy eats primarily dry, but I will buy the royal canin wet to put in treat puzzles, too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Our toy eats the same! You want to feed your pup a diet that is approved by veterinary nutritionists (royal canin, purina pro plan, hills science are a few). Here's a good article by Tufts' vet med center about it . Our toy eats primarily dry, but I will buy the royal canin wet to put in treat puzzles, too.
Thank you very much she is eating instinct which is recommended by my vet and many time she will turn her nose up to it because she’s waiting for people food which is my fault I always break down because I feel so guilty

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank you very much she is eating instinct which is recommended by my vet and many time she will turn her nose up to it because she’s waiting for people food which is my fault I always break down because I feel so guilty
Try to find a high incentive treat you can keep around when she gives you those eyes, my Gigi loves butternut squash! Our vet recommended keeping even kibbles or wet food baked into little balls away from our pet's normal eating place and that will help develop that sense of getting something "special"

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Try to find a high incentive treat you can keep around when she gives you those eyes, my Gigi loves butternut squash! Our vet recommended keeping even kibbles or wet food baked into little balls away from our pet's normal eating place and that will help develop that sense of getting something "special"
Thank you very much I will start with that today because her itching is just so bad and I can’t help but think that I am causing that by letting her eat people food

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cut out all the human food. Possibly allergic to chicken based dog food. Try feeding a salmon based food. I only feed dry kibble.
Also how do I deal with her refusing to eat the dry food usually by the end of the day I give in and I know that’s wrong but watching her what I feel is suffer breaks my heart and I know that it’s not suffering she’s just trying to wait me out and she usually wins do I just let her go all day and not eat? And not worry about it and eventually she will eat the dry food? Do I give her no treats or anything until she eats her dry food?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank you very much I will start with that today because her itching is just so bad and I can’t help but think that I am causing that by letting her eat people food
Similarly to people, an elimination diet will help you figure out what might be triggering her if you believe it to be food-related. I am part of a Pet Vet group on facebook & vets usually recommend seeing a veterinary dermatologist for persistent issues.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Similarly to people, an elimination diet will help you figure out what might be triggering her if you believe it to be food-related. I am part of a Pet Vet group on facebook & vets usually recommend seeing a veterinary dermatologist for persistent issues.
I have called her vet this morning and I am waiting for a callback and again I feel as if I’m not being part of the solution but part of the problem because I am giving her people food so today she’s going back to nothing but dry and we will see you in a couple of days if that helps her itching it’s going to hurt me worse than it’s going to hurt her LOL

·
Registered
18 Posts
Also how do I deal with her refusing to eat the dry food usually by the end of the day I give in and I know that’s wrong but watching her what I feel is suffer breaks my heart and I know that it’s not suffering she’s just trying to wait me out and she usually wins do I just let her go all day and not eat? And not worry about it and eventually she will eat the dry food? Do I give her no treats or anything until she eats her dry food?
I would suggest maybe trying a different kibble if she isn't interested in Instinct, grain free is generally not recommended unless it is allergy related, it's linked to Dilated Cardiomyopathy. I don't recommend allowing her to not eat all day, but I am not a vet either.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would suggest maybe trying a different kibble if she isn't interested in Instinct, grain free is generally not recommended unless it is allergy related, it's linked to Dilated Cardiomyopathy. I don't recommend allowing her to not eat all day, but I am not a vet either.
Thank you again it is also very confusing I have heard about how great grain free diet’s are and then I’ve heard that they’re not so I don’t know what to do and as far as her not eating the instinct she was on halo before this and she likes it for about a week and then she stops eating and she will eat when she gets hungry but I am just concerned about her going without

·
Premium Member
4,580 Posts
I don't have a toy, but a standard - it seems that you are getting some good advice. I had to wean my boy off begging for human food and it took a long time to get where we are now. I admit spoiling him.- also it does seem to me to be an allergy problem and maybe you should be looking at other food than instinct. I feed Science Diet, which some will criticized but my does do very well on it added benefit is improvement of skin and coat.
I would see a vet to see if there might be something that can help you pup with the itching - especially with prolonged itch.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank you again it is also very confusing I have heard about how great grain free diet’s are and then I’ve heard that they’re not so I don’t know what to do and as far as her not eating the instinct she was on halo before this and she likes it for about a week and then she stops eating and she will eat when she gets hungry but I am just concerned about her going without
I know there is a lot of contradictory information out there, some people distrust big companies and certifying organizations. The tufts article outlines some good questions you can ask when exploring different foods to help make the personal decision. I know switching brands is frustrating, but you will find something that works for her!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't have a toy, but a standard - it seems that you are getting some good advice. I had to wean my boy off begging for human food and it took a long time to get where we are now. I admit spoiling him.- also it does seem to me to be an allergy problem and maybe you should be looking at other food than instinct. I feed Science Diet, which some will criticized but my does do very well on it added benefit is improvement of skin and coat.
I would see a vet to see if there might be something that can help you pup with the itching - especially with prolonged itch.
We feed our cats science diet & their coats are beautiful since starting - also a great brand!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Yes. Just the dry. Plus water always available.

He also gets organic snacks, but I'm very careful to get only trhose made in the USA with safe ingredients.

My dog is 16 months old and at his last checkup, the vet said that he's the perfect weight.
He's had no health problems so far. Other dog food brands are also good, but he likes the RC and the vet suggested it.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Thank you so much for the response. She does get human food and that’s because I feel so guilty eating in front of her I am a horrible person when it comes to that I need to realize that she would be much happier if I don’t give it to her. My husband does not agree with me he has only had big dogs in the past but they only get dry food I don’t know how to stop her from begging when I am eating any suggestions would be good I have a hard time being forceful with her
Where does your dog go for time on her own? a crate? a playarea? She needs one. Give her a dog treat at your dinner time and if necessary, place her in the quiet area.

Our dog gets a dog treat at our meal times; he doesn't expect anything else. Then he lies at our feet and waits for us to spill food on the floor. (He says he's just being friendly, but I know different!)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you very much I appreciate the input I do have a call into my vet and I’m pretty sure he’s going to tell me to go back to all dry and we will go from there I have started that today as hard as it is for me to watch her want some thing and no I can’t give it to her my goodness they are just like children aren’t they! I’m going to give it a few days and if she still itching I will try changing her dry food also thank you all so much for all of your advice what a wonderful forum

1 - 20 of 41 Posts