Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With the pandemic I started doing my dogs’ nails again. I have a powerful rotating tool that I used a few years ago but not anymore. It’s just too powerful and dangerous, if hair gets caught, it can hurt a dog. So no more of those.

I also have my old Pedi Paws and that’s what I use. It’s slow and quiet and it does the job. I need to get replacement heads (just the filing part) for it but they are extremely hard to find and cost 90$, six times more than the Pedi Paw is worth... So that’s out of the question.

So I need to buy a nee one. I have a few criterias :

1- not too loud
2- works fast (so powerful enough)
3- not too thick to hold (it will hurt my hands)
4- cordless

And it has to be made especially for pets.

Any ideas ?

ETA : the dremel 7300 looks like a good option but it looks too thick for my hands.

·
Premium Member
4,259 Posts
Ii have the Andis nail grinder and it has made everything easier. Too bad that Asta won't cooperate too much. I think it covers about all of your features.

Note These were much lower priced that I found on ebay.
The Arco SE is a rebranded Wahl. with 5-1 blade

On Asta I use my trustworthy Oster A5 turbo with a toe bladeThis has been my go to combination. Note however that the A-5 Turbo . Again I'd started my search on ebay.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Rens pets is where I usually buy all my grooming tools as they are usually a lot cheaper than anywhere else online in Canada. They typically have a nail tool on sale every other month or so. Looks like they have 3 different versions, none on sale this month. 2 Andis, and 1 dremel. Sales usually start at the beginning of the month and online availability sells out quickly, which is frustrating. I have been haunting their sale flyers for a HV dryer :)

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rens pets is where I usually buy all my grooming tools as they are usually a lot cheaper than anywhere else online in Canada. They typically have a nail tool on sale every other month or so. Looks like they have 3 different versions, none on sale this month. 2 Andis, and 1 dremel. Sales usually start at the beginning of the month and online availability sells out quickly, which is frustrating. I have been haunting their sale flyers for a HV dryer :)
I’ve ordered from Ren’s before. I did check their nail grinders but as you sail, no specials for now. I’ll keept checking, thanks !

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If anyone is interested, I went on a dog maintenance group on FB (there are groups for everything now, it’s amazing). Some of the members are professional groomers, some regular members and they all seem to agree than the Dremel micro 8050 is the way to go. It has six speed, it’s slim, it’s cordless and it even has a light to help you see the quick.

It’s more that I expected to spend (lowest price I’ve seen is about 60 USD and 119 CAD) but since I plan on keeping doing my dogs nails, it will pay for itself in about 1 year).

For those with standards, I’ve seen a video of a groomer on Youtube who does the nails of a big, maybe 60lbs dog with it and the nail melts like butter.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
I know this is not what you asked, but the diamond bits are really worth the expense. As far as I know, they only fit Dremels. Good luck in your hunt for a nail grinder.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know this is not what you asked, but the diamond bits are really worth the expense. As far as I know, they only fit Dremels. Good luck in your hunt for a nail grinder.
Oh this is very helpful ! I’ve heard a lot of good things about them and didn’t know they only fit Dremels. Another good reason to choose a Dremel. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts