Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup was genetically cleared by parentage of the standard issues in SPOOs. I was speaking to a breeder who had never heard of the place who did my pup's parents' testing but preferred K9 Health Check or Paw Prints. Someone else I talked to pooh-poohed Paw Prints in favor of one I hadn't heard of.

Is there one lab better or more preferred than another? All I know is when I contacted the place my pup's parents were tested to verify, they were very quick to respond to my questions & clarify anything I needed to know. Their response time was great, the detail they gave was awesome.

So I felt pretty good until I discovered some turned their noses up at anyone but (fill in the blank with their preferred place). SO is one better, more reputable, etc.. than the others? I've wondered if it's familiarity individuals or if there's something I don't understand. I would think if a dog is cleared of a medical condition like vWD… no matter where he's tested, it should be the same.

Thanks in advance for all info & opinions.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
No specific recommendation from me. If I had need, I'd probably try a well known teaching university like UCDAVIS, Cornell, or KState, first to see if they provide testing for the public.

I googled "DNA testing standard poodle health", found a link to Versatility In Poodles, vipoodle.org, which listed tests and a link to labs

https://www.ofa.org/dna-test-labs

By association, I'd be very comfortable using any lab listed there.

Screenshot (58).jpg

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I didn't know if there was one standard place most Poodle people preferred over another or what?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts