Poodle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
In my stupider moments - I would like an Airedale like a friend of mine had, or a welsh terrier. And then I recall how bloody stubborn and independent that airedale was :) only nonsheddimg dogs for me, or it would be a herding breed.

Honestly, an undersized spoo or oversized mini is probably in my future as a second dog. I really would like a havanese for my mom if Trixie ever passes.

·
Super Moderator
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I have been so spoiled by how smart and gentlemanly my Spoo has been compared to any other dog, I simply don't think I would have the patience any more for a lesser dog!

On the size part though. My standard has doggie friends from dachshunds to golden retrievers, and also some tiny dog of unknown breed that is actually about the size of his head! It is most adorable to see him gently playing with him by rolling a little ball, or taking him a stuffed animal!

I think it is not so much the breed, but the compatibility of the personalities and temperaments of the dogs that matters. I have seen both wonderful, and awful, dogs of all breeds, including poodles.
"Easy keeper" is what we'll be looking for next, for sure! A nice, calm, sturdy boy who will let Peggy rule the roost. I'd even be happy if he was a little lacking in the IQ department. Lol. Just a simple fellow who enjoys a good play session but still has a nice off switch.

·
Super Moderator
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
In my stupider moments - I would like an Airedale like a friend of mine had, or a welsh terrier. And then I recall how bloody stubborn and independent that airedale was :) only nonsheddimg dogs for me, or it would be a herding breed.

Honestly, an undersized spoo or oversized mini is probably in my future as a second dog. I really would like a havanese for my mom if Trixie ever passes.
Yeah, I regularly come back to a Havanese. I'm worried about unintentional spoo-inflicted injury, but every time I meet a Havanese in public, I drop to my knees and love it like crazy.

I do love the look of Airedales, but know they'd drive me nuts.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
A whippet makes a wonderful companion for a standard poodle. Whippets will play with a poodle outside but tend to become couch potatoes indoors. Now I'm thinking of an adult whippet - puppies of every breed are wild and woolly! Whippets shed very little. They are very clean - their short close-fitting coats just need a wipe with a damp cloth after playing in the mud. They rarely bark. They are very, very healthy with almost no hereditary diseases. Perhaps the one negative is that most are very, very good at food stealing. They are the ultimate counter surfers.

·
Super Moderator
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
A whippet makes a wonderful companion for a standard poodle. Whippets will play with a poodle outside but tend to become couch potatoes indoors. Now I'm thinking of an adult whippet - puppies of every breed are wild and woolly! Whippets shed very little. They are very clean - their short close-fitting coats just need a wipe with a damp cloth after playing in the mud. They rarely bark. They are very, very healthy with almost no hereditary diseases. Perhaps the one negative is that most are very, very good at food stealing. They are the ultimate counter surfers.
I've always wanted a greyhound, and a whippet might be a nice compromise!

Peggy would have sooooo much fun chasing a whippet. Usually she's the one being chased.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
It's a cinch that she'll never catch the whippet until the whippet wants to be caught! I have had standard poodles and whippets for many years - actually I'm looking for a whippet now because our whippet/border collie is getting very old and beginning to have problems getting around.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Yikes, the mention of shedding! Another way my spoo has spoiled me rotten! I will never have another dog that sheds. Did I mention I am now spoiled?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Eeeeeeeeeeee. A man just walked a miniature dachshund puppy past our house, and both my husband and I lost our minds.

I think a mini dachshund, especially with their fragile spines, wouldn't be a great fit for a standard poodle household. But I know I'd really like to add a smaller second dog at some point. Under 30 lbs.

Which breeds do you think make the best spoo companions and why?
We have a Cavalier who is 7 years old. Despite the size difference she and our 1 year old Ruby get along very well. Scarlett is definitely the boss and if Ruby gets too pushy she stands up to her and gets respect.

·
Super Moderator
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
We have a Cavalier who is 7 years old. Despite the size difference she and our 1 year old Ruby get along very well. Scarlett is definitely the boss and if Ruby gets too pushy she stands up to her and gets respect.
Cavaliers melt me! So cute. How's the shedding?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Yeah, a Whippet would be a very good choice! A Silken Windhound would be too.
I'm afraid I cannot agree with you about "silken windhounds" - crossing whippets with Shetland sheepdogs has some really strange results. I cannot imagine why anyone would purposely do that considering the natures of those two breeds.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Silkens are not crossed with any Shetland Sheedog History of the Breed – ISWS
It's a bit of both I belive. I think Johanna's comment originates from the Windsprite which truly is a mix of sheltie and whippet. But the silken windhound included windsprite in their original dogs bred to create windhounds. The sheltie input I believe is only a very small percentage of the end gene pool of windhounds.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yeah, my parents had a 50/50 dachshund poodle and he helped himself to an entire nest of baby bunnies. It really was straight out of a horror movie.

I also vividly recall him chowing down on many a pile of wild animal poop. That's just not something the memory lets go of very easily.
Should we blame the dachshund though and not the Poodle LOL. My Spoo, Joey, (who is still a puppy, almost 10 months) has eaten a mouse and two baby birds (one turkey chick and one young bluebird). When it comes to high volume treat like that he WILL NOT DROP!!! I suppose it's nature but it sure does turn my stomach.

·
Super Moderator
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Should we blame the dachshund though and not the Poodle LOL. My Spoo, Joey, (who is still a puppy, almost 10 months) has eaten a mouse and two baby birds (one turkey chick and one young bluebird). When it comes to high volume treat like that he WILL NOT DROP!!! I suppose it's nature but it sure does turn my stomach.
I've not seen the same prey drive in minipoos that I see in my spoo, so I tend to blame the dachshund in him. But who knows. He honestly just seemed like pure terrier to me, despite the fact that I met his parents and they were most definitely not terriers.

He was an intense but loving little guy.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I've not seen the same prey drive in minipoos that I see in my spoo, so I tend to blame the dachshund in him. But who knows. He honestly just seemed like pure terrier to me, despite the fact that I met his parents and they were most definitely not terriers.

He was an intense but loving little guy.
Dachshunds have one of the highest prey drives of any breed I've seen. So yes I would blame the dachshund too! One of the reasons I decided on a minipoo rather than small spoo was prey drive. The breeders of small spoos that I talked to were dubious about a spoo and a rabbit coexisting in the same house. Both minipoo breeders on my short list were not overly concerned about it. It has proven mostly true with Misha. It is tricky to find a high drive dog that is not highly prey driven. Misha does actually have a lot of prey drive, but he stops short at killing. He has no interest in hurting any animal. When he occasionally succeeds at catching one of the many lizards he chases, he simply seems confused. He will gently nudge them to see if they will run and continue the game. We have taught him to kill roaches (very common house pest in S. Florida) but he only does it very hesitantly and seems to only enjoy it because we praise him. He uses his paws to swat at them until they stop moving. He is very gentle with our rabbit though he does sometimes poke him with his paws or gently mouth his ears when he can't resist temptation.

·
Super Moderator
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Dachshunds have one of the highest prey drives of any breed I've seen. So yes I would blame the dachshund too! One of the reasons I decided on a minipoo rather than small spoo was prey drive. The breeders of small spoos that I talked to were dubious about a spoo and a rabbit coexisting in the same house. Both minipoo breeders on my short list were not overly concerned about it. It has proven mostly true with Misha. It is tricky to find a high drive dog that is not highly prey driven. Misha does actually have a lot of prey drive, but he stops short at killing. He has no interest in hurting any animal. When he occasionally succeeds at catching one of the many lizards he chases, he simply seems confused. He will gently nudge them to see if they will run and continue the game. We have taught him to kill roaches (very common house pest in S. Florida) but he only does it very hesitantly and seems to only enjoy it because we praise him. He uses his paws to swat at them until they stop moving. He is very gentle with our rabbit though he does sometimes poke him with his paws or gently mouth his ears when he can't resist temptation.
Gracie (half minipoo, quarter dachshund) didn't have a high prey drive either. She once battled a spider that was crossing the bathroom floor towards the bathtub I was lounging in. But that was pretty much the extent of it. Tucker (half dachshund) was a totally different beast. To put it kindly, he wasn't much of a "thinker."

P.S. Misha gently mouthing bunny ears is painfully cute. Ahhhh!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Gracie (half minipoo, quarter dachshund) didn't have a high prey drive either. She once battled a spider that was crossing the bathroom floor towards the bathtub I was lounging in. But that was pretty much the extent of it. Tucker (half dachshund) was a totally different beast. To put it kindly, he wasn't much of a "thinker."

P.S. Misha gently mouthing bunny ears is painfully cute. Ahhhh!
Haha bunny does not agree! Though he is surprisingly tolerant. They actually squabble like brothers. Both seem to deliberately push eachothers' buttons. The rabbit has multiple areas he can retreat to if the dog is annoying him but he tends to choose to just growl and lunge at Misha when he is annoyed. But sometimes Misha is asleep curled up somewhere and the rabbit will rush him and growl... it goes both ways! My boyfriend always takes the rabbit's side and tells Misha off for not submitting to the rabbit's desires. So Misha is better behaved when he is the moderator. I tend to let them squabble until Misha pushes boundaries because the rabbit seems to provoke him.

Misha is our bug alert dog too! He tells us if he sees a roach somewhere he can't reach or if there's a bug he does not recognize. Not long ago there was a 3" millipede in the house that really disturbed him. I told him not to mess with it but he seemed greatly displeased with the uncanny number of legs. He tried growling and barking but it paid him no mind! How rude.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts