Poodle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I would think an English cocker spaniel or a small Brittany would be a great buddy. They are very sturdy and are very playful. Similar enough they would get on very well.
I've been really enjoying Cocker Spaniels lately—reading about them and looking at photos. It's a shame the ones I've met in person are so neurotic, much like the Goldens around here.

I'd love a blue roan.

·
Super Moderator
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
A friend has a miniature longhair dachshund with a merle type pattern (not sure what they are called in dachshund) She competes in rally and agility - very sweet little dog, but boy can she bark. It's shocking to hear this huge dog bark coming out of this teeny weeny little dog. Barking can be an annoying problem with this breed.

Have you thought of a larger minipoo?
I think our destiny is probably a sturdy minipoo. I'm so spoiled. Every breed has one glaring flaw: Not a poodle.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I've been really enjoying Cocker Spaniels lately—reading about them and looking at photos. It's a shame the ones I've met in person are so neurotic, much like the Goldens around here.

I'd love a blue roan.
Yes the blue roans are beautiful. I also love blacks, reds, and blondes. All lovely. I have met some really nice ones around where I live. I suspect that just like poodles, breeding really matters.

·
Super Moderator
1,256 Posts
On a tangent, have you heard of the Dachshund UN performance art installation that happened a few years ago? One of my acquaintances participated with her dog. It was a very strange and amusing piece.

·
Registered
552 Posts
My elderly aunt has a standard dachshund who does very well with my 2 spoos. He is not at all fragile like a mini would be. Although, by son used to have a mini dachshund and he also dI’d fine with my spoos. I have a video clip of he and Raven playing tug-of-ar with a rope tug toy when she was about a year old. She laid down and let him pull. It was cute and well supervised. If your husband is set on a dachshund, I would not rule it out. They do shed some, bit not terribly.

·
Super Moderator
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Oddly Teddy loves dachshunds. The older and grumpier the better. I’m not sure why but he does. He always gravitates to em and they never want anything to do with him 🤣 long haired dachshunds r my fave! What about a Moyen?
Honestly, if a mini can handle Peggy, that would probably be perfect for me. I so miss my mini mix. She had so much personality crammed into that small body.

·
Registered
213 Posts
My neighbor has a long haired dachshund. I just love that long loaf of bread. He’s so sweet but prey drive is insane! He not only will kill and eat anything he can catch but will roll in whatever remains. It’s a horror show to humans but the best day of his life to him.

·
Super Moderator
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
My elderly aunt has a standard dachshund who does very well with my 2 spoos. He is not at all fragile like a mini would be. Although, by son used to have a mini dachshund and he also dI’d fine with my spoos. I have a video clip of he and Raven playing tug-of-ar with a rope tug toy when she was about a year old. She laid down and let him pull. It was cute and well supervised. If your husband is set on a dachshund, I would not rule it out. They do shed some, bit not terribly.
That sounds so cute. :)

I love Standard Wirehaired Dachshunds. They all look like they should be wearing little round wireframed glasses and smoking pipes.

·
Super Moderator
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
My neighbor has a long haired dachshund. I just love that long loaf of bread. He’s so sweet but prey drive is insane! He not only will kill and eat anything he can catch but will roll in whatever remains. It’s a horror show to humans but the best day of his life to him.
Yeah, my parents had a 50/50 dachshund poodle and he helped himself to an entire nest of baby bunnies. It really was straight out of a horror movie.

I also vividly recall him chowing down on many a pile of wild animal poop. That's just not something the memory lets go of very easily.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Yes you've reminded me why I feel negatively toward them haha. I worked at a place for two years where there was an adjoining property that had a pack of six of them that they just let run wild. We would see them chasing after small animals. Sometimes they would catch them and play with them the way a cat would, horribly maiming them but not killing so as to not end the game. Put a bad taste in my mouth. They would also try to bite people. But I'm fairly certain they were not well bred!

But I'm sure many terriers have the same drive and I know I'm probably unjustly negative toward them. I did meet a really sweet old dachshund some number of months ago. I went to the shop where I purchase Misha's food from and while I was waiting for them to retrieve my order there was the sweetest old mini dachshund in the office. There was nobody in there with me, but he immediately came over to me and stood up (with great effort that needed a Hnnnngh speech bubble) on his hind legs to beg to be picked up. Of course I did, and he was quite nice and snuggly. I do think standard wirehairs are probably quite sturdy, though still prone to back injury of course.

·
Super Moderator
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
On a tangent, have you heard of the Dachshund UN performance art installation that happened a few years ago? One of my acquaintances participated with her dog. It was a very strange and amusing piece.
I just looked it up. Wow. Almost painfully adorable.

·
Super Moderator
1,256 Posts
Something to consider is that dachs means badger in German. Dachshunds were bred to go down into badger setts and deal with the inhabitants. If you think about the disposition of the average badger, it's not surprising that dachshunds would be badass little dogs.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Cairn terrier. Tough, smart, low shedding, don't take any crap. You do have to groom them, tho.
We actually have a cairn terrier. She can definitely hold her own with my 68 ls bouncy standard. She is actually a good dog and I don't necessarily have a love of terriers. She is a good alert dog, does have a strong prey drive but she listens quite well and has excellent recall. Plus i can trust her with people . She also sheds minimally and her grooming is minimal.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was going to say German Shepherd too😔 My mom was thinking about getting a dog and I'm still wondering what would be a good fit. Thinking about an Aussie. @PeggyTheParti what else are you looking for in a dog? You want something that will keep up with Peggy? Wait what about an Aussie?!?
An Aussie owner told me they need at least a two hour walk daily. That could be a problem according to the human energy and the weather. They are charming.

·
Registered
64 Posts
We actually have a cairn terrier. She can definitely hold her own with my 68 ls bouncy standard. She is actually a good dog and I don't necessarily have a love of terriers. She is a good alert dog, does have a strong prey drive but she listens quite well and has excellent recall. Plus i can trust her with people . She also sheds minimally and her grooming is minimal.
I have met some very nice schnauzers, a new breed to me until I lived in a very doggy neighborhood.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I have been so spoiled by how smart and gentlemanly my Spoo has been compared to any other dog, I simply don't think I would have the patience any more for a lesser dog!

On the size part though. My standard has doggie friends from dachshunds to golden retrievers, and also some tiny dog of unknown breed that is actually about the size of his head! It is most adorable to see him gently playing with him by rolling a little ball, or taking him a stuffed animal!

I think it is not so much the breed, but the compatibility of the personalities and temperaments of the dogs that matters. I have seen both wonderful, and awful, dogs of all breeds, including poodles.

·
Super Moderator
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
An Aussie owner told me they need at least a two hour walk daily. That could be a problem according to the human energy and the weather. They are charming.
Herding breeds are so temptingly beautiful and charming. I love the close attention they pay to their owners. But we know we couldn't give one the life it deserves.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
I had an Aussie. Fantastic dog, I miss him terribly but be aware that they are very active and can get destructive if bored. I never had this issue, my dog was an angel and incredibly smart to boot. The shedding was unbelievable though. Birds use to love him though as they gathered tufts of his hair for their nests.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts