Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eeeeeeeeeeee. A man just walked a miniature dachshund puppy past our house, and both my husband and I lost our minds.

I think a mini dachshund, especially with their fragile spines, wouldn't be a great fit for a standard poodle household. But I know I'd really like to add a smaller second dog at some point. Under 30 lbs.

Which breeds do you think make the best spoo companions and why?

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Won't fit your under 30 pounds thinking but a German Shepherd dog. Peeves and Lily are the same age and have been besties for almost 12 years now.

There is a mini doxie in my extended family. We had him at our house when he was a puppy. It was pretty nerve wracking watching over him with the bigger dogs. They were nice to him but if Peeves had stepped on his back he would have been really badly hurt for sure. Addiotnally I find doxies a little snarky and they are very hard to house train. The dog still isn't house trained actually (goes on pads, but he ruined a rug and a sofa before that happened). Definitely not for me, cuteness factors aside.

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The German Shepherd is my favourite breed, and has been, unwaveringly, for my whole life. Sadly, I'm afraid my husband will never be fully onboard.

His ideal second dog is one that does not exist: A dachshund that's sturdy enough to safely co-exist with a spoo, and also (magically, I assume) does not shed.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I was going to say German Shepherd too😔 My mom was thinking about getting a dog and I'm still wondering what would be a good fit. Thinking about an Aussie. @PeggyTheParti what else are you looking for in a dog? You want something that will keep up with Peggy? Wait what about an Aussie?!?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I would think an English cocker spaniel or a small Brittany would be a great buddy. They are very sturdy and are very playful. Similar enough they would get on very well.

I'm not a huge fan of dachshunds. Cute but I don't fancy back issues and they are stubborn and have insane prey drives. Also why I don't care for most terriers. They have a tendency for animal aggression which I don't care for.

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was going to say German Shepherd too😔 My mom was thinking about getting a dog and I'm still wondering what would be a good fit. Thinking about an Aussie. @PeggyTheParti what else are you looking for in a dog? You want something that will keep up with Peggy? Wait what about an Aussie?!?
I'm not sure I'm up for a herding breed. Lol. I'm thinking sturdy, affectionate, and low-key.

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What kind of dogs does Peggy seem to like?

Normie heads for the really big ones with no concern at all.
She likes all dogs with manners. If they are pushy or ignore social cues, she wants nothing to do with them.

I don't think she'd do great with a terrier.

·
Registered
330 Posts
She likes all dogs with manners. If they are pushy or ignore social cues, she wants nothing to do with them.

I don't think she'd do great with a terrier.
They're so cute. I love their sturdiness. I wonder if a terrier would break me, though. Peggy's prey drive is.....a lot. Lol.
I wouldn’t get a terrier if I was in your situation, then. Misty is only part terrier, and she goes absolutely ballistic if she sees a bird or a squirrel. She used to be really bad around bikes, and flying a kite around her just won’t happen. She also doesn’t really have an interest in other dogs that aren’t other terriers. They just don’t meet her play style, I guess. But she does have a high energy/is very sturdy, and so can keep up with a larger dog if she finds one that really meshes with her. I‘ve always worried less about her around other dogs than I do Fluffy.

·
Registered
588 Posts
They're so cute. I love their sturdiness. I wonder if a terrier would break me, though. Peggy's prey drive is.....a lot. Lol.
I had a Cairn Terrier, he didn't have much of a prey drive. Cairns are earth dogs, meant to follow rodents down into their lairs and dig them out, not to chase them. He was very smart, very stoic, very opinionated, and very cute!

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Boston terriers are in my top 5. I’ve had many and they all are such clowns, easy to get along and very playful. They are tough little guys also and for all these reasons, they would make a great companion for Peggy !
We could get a real black & white theme going!

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had a Cairn Terrier, he didn't have much of a prey drive. Cairns are earth dogs, meant to follow rodents down into their lairs and dig them out, not to chase them. He was very smart, very stoic, very opinionated, and very cute!
He sounds lovely!!

Peggy and a Cairn would have a blast with the colony of rats that appears to have moved into our neighbourhood. It's the most elaborate network of holes I've ever seen.

·
Super Moderator
1,274 Posts
I would think an English cocker spaniel or a small Brittany would be a great buddy. They are very sturdy and are very playful. Similar enough they would get on very well.

I'm not a huge fan of dachshunds. Cute but I don't fancy back issues and they are stubborn and have insane prey drives. Also why I don't care for most terriers. They have a tendency for animal aggression which I don't care for.
A well bred Cocker Spaniel can be delightful. So very joyful, so very sociable. They will also stand up for themselves. Three generations of my family have rueful memories of being disciplined by the family spaniel when we failed to behave with proper respect.

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
A friend has a miniature longhair dachshund with a merle type pattern (not sure what they are called in dachshund) She competes in rally and agility - very sweet little dog, but boy can she bark. It's shocking to hear this huge dog bark coming out of this teeny weeny little dog. Barking can be an annoying problem with this breed.

Have you thought of a larger minipoo?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts