Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone: I know there is much conversation about what is the best dog food...we have 3 poodles and feed them CA Nature (or natural I always forget!)..but someone recently told me that any food with "meal" in it is really bad. Right now our new puppy is on Smart Puppy from Iams I believe (would be nice if I had the bags in front of me!)...I would like to start her of right so any suggestion or your experiences would be great.

The only thing our vert said is to avoid food with grain as poodles particulary standards are subject to nasty ear infections (am having had one with constant ear problems I must say the higher priced food without grain worked well).

So just opening a forum to hear your opinions! Thanks! Karin

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I just read about that...I am considering Orijen, Blue Buffalo and Pet Promise based on friend recommnedations. Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, that is a great site! Sounds like Orijen may be better for adult dogs though so I will check it out in a few months.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Karin,

Orijen comes in puppy, large breed puppy, adult and senior varieties and is a great food. I also really like Evo, but that one is an all stage dog food that can be fed to puppies through seniors. What you are feeding now (California Natural) is a good quality dog food, but I prefer higher protein and fat levels. This same company makes Evo and if you want to stay lower in protein Innova. All dry dog foods have "meal" in them, without exceptions. It's the quality and the source of the meat and meal that makes a difference.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks that is really helpful! I read that Orijens the puppy one though is too rich in protein..maybe I will try it and see!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
We have ours on Natural Balance small bites. It doesn't have puppy or adult formulas. I like the ingredients in that food so we are trying it out for a bit.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
We have ours on Natural Balance small bites. It doesn't have puppy or adult formulas. I like the ingredients in that food so we are trying it out for a bit.
I had my 2 of my dogs on natural balance, and I know they have recently changed the forumula and the ingredients are no longer manufactured in the US. Since that has happened 2 of our dogs had started vomiting up the Natural Balance Kibble, and this is not only limited to my dogs, I've read on another forum that quite a few people have had this same problem.

Here is one of the threads about the ingredient change:
http://www.dogforums.com/5-dog-food-forum/55378-natural-balance-changes-duck.html

·
Registered
52 Posts
I actually really like EVO too. I mix canned with the dry. My pup is very greedy and engulfs food until she vomits. So i had to cut her feeding way down as she wasnt able to digest very fast as well. However, even so I cut her feeding down she remainds healthy and just the ideal wait for her size and age on the evo food. So I would recommend this food also. But your chioce.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
All the foods listed so far are good foods. California Natural is a good food (actuallly made by the same company as innova and evo), but i personally feel it is a little grain heavy. Lots of poodles are prone to ear problems, but going grain free wont eliminate problems. I have mixed feelings on the grain free kibble, but have heard great reviews (personal and professional). Iams puppy is not at the top of my list. If you just got your girl and she is still settling in then i would finish the food the breeder gave you. Then Gradually switch to something else. There is no perfect food that everyone agrees on. Mainly it comes down to what is available to you, your price range, if your dogs like it, and (this is the biggest) how your dogs do on the food. It could be the best food out there, but if it doesnt agree with your dogs then what does it matter.

Just for the record, "meal" isnt bad. It is regular meat with the water taken out. You actually get more "bang for your buck" with meal as it is more "concentrated". I would not rule out a food with it at all.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
For the record, our 14 week old Standard is on Orijen large breed puppy, and he seems to be doing fine on it. Time will tell I guess :) He doesn't seem to be in love with it though, he eats it but only when he's hungry enough! lol

We had another dog visiting us for a week and Rogan would go nuts trying to get this other dogs food! I guess the flavour of this (pricey) Orijen is not totally his cup of tea!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks to all of you for such great-common sense answers! I am almost finished the Iams and will be amking a trip to our local (non chain) pet store and see what they recommend. And thanks for letting me know exactly what meal is..everything I have read says it is good for the dogs so I don't know why or how my friend go it so wrong. Oh well!

Again thanks, I really love this forum! Karin

·
Registered
897 Posts
We feed all of our dogs Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream. It's grainless and good for allergy prone dogs (which our boxer is). The protein isn't too high for our puppy either.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
If your pet store doesn't have what you would like to get, don't forget to check into your local feed store. A lot of them carry the better brands.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I feed my standard Blue buffalo she seems to really like it i find she eats less compared to purina one we fed her chicken and rice but then switched to fish and patato

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I feed Lou
Blue buffalo duck 100% grain free
1st ingreedient DUCK, not corn or wheat

Also feed her EVO canned food 95% duck
I feel she deserves the best :)
She is sooooo spoiled!

These two , at the exact correct amout that works for her, creates great poops, its not too rich for her, its better than food with grains i fed her at first.
I also didnt feed her puppy food since she was 3.5 months since she is so big, to avoid large dogs health issues

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
We feed Jazz Blue Buffalo Freedom and Taste of the Wild, for puppies. Both are grain free. Our vet said Jazz didn't need large-breed--she's almost eight months old and weighs about 45 pounds, so she isn't exceedingly big--and said we can go with adult food in another month. We feed Luke the Lab TOTW, in various flavors, so we'll just switch Jazz to that. It'll be convenient to buy just one big bag for both of them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts