Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love Peggy's fluffy ears, but they've reached the length again where they start tangling badly at the ends. I think it's because she dips them in her water.

The last time this happened, I was brushing right over the tangles without realizing it, and they turned into solid mats that I mistook for her ear leather. :( Our groomer shaved them right down for us, and I'm trying to do better this time, but I just don't seem to get it. I suspect my tools aren't up to the task. I don't want to hurt her delicate ears.

I'm currently using a generic slicker brush, and the teeth are starting to bend and warp. The pin brush is entirely ineffective.

Help?

I want to get better at this, but it's very hard on my body (I have a joint condition that causes frequent dislocations and chronic pain), so I need to be as efficient as possible.

My husband just wants to shave her ears down again to keep things simple. But we've already compromised by keeping her body very short, so I'd love to keep her glorious ears.

I have no issues with her tail, which I'm slowly growing into a pompon. (Correct term?) The budget slicker also works fine on her topknot; I just divide it into sections. Do I need a good comb for her ears?

I was looking at this one....

Thank you from Peggy and me!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I am no expert and maybe I’m doing it wrong but I use and really like the basic metal greyhound comb. I actually use it on Bobby’s entire body including his fluffy natural tail. I do it in sections and use a detangling spray and sometimes a bit of coconut oil so the comb glides through better. I feel like the comb gets right down to the skin quite nicely.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I find that using a fine toothed comb, especially on the tips of the ears is most beneficial. You can get a greyhound comb that has coarse on one end and fine on the other. I have small, arthritic hands and hated my Chris Christensen butter comb. My hands hurt after just a few moments of use, even with the optional wooden handle.I do have a CC #011 6" staggered tooth comb which has a thicker handle and is more comfortable to use, but does not have fine teeth. JW makes some inexpensive combs with rotating teeth and foam handles that are also comfortable to use. Resco makes a nice comb with rotating teeth and a rounded handle; shop around because for some reason the price varies greatly for the exact same item. My favorite comb to use on a non-show coat is a long toothed rake. It will pull out coat though, so not ideal for someone who is trying to have a show coat. The rake is what I fall back on when I skipped brushing for a week. I use Showsheen spray to mist the coat, or Cowboy Magic if I actually have a mat. one other thing... if her ears are getting encrusted from eating, you can put a snood on her for meals.The sleeve cut off of a child's sweat shirt of leggings will usually suffice. Of course, if she free feeds the snood idea is no good. Best of luck to you. Wish We lived closer; I would let you try out my arsenal of combs to see what best suits your needs.

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
I use a comb, and I prefer the Chris Christensen buttercombs. They really do move through hair more easily.

The other thing you might try is a v-rake matt pick.

·
Super Moderator
5,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am no expert and maybe I’m doing it wrong but I use and really like the basic metal greyhound comb. I actually use it on Bobby’s entire body including his fluffy natural tail. I do it in sections and use a detangling spray and sometimes a bit of coconut oil so the comb glides through better. I feel like the comb gets right down to the skin quite nicely.
Thank you! Do you happen to know the difference between the greyhound comb and the poodle comb? These combs are way too expensive to just keep trying until I find the right one.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I've had these since April: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IFQX1O2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They're the only thing that really, really gets at the mats that tend to form, and I don't know how I functioned without them before. You might also already know this, but when you use a comb on curly hair, make sure you start at the tips of the hair and work your way slowly down to the roots, because if you come up from the roots, it becomes one big knot and is pretty painful and difficult to get out.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I use a CC 000 fine/coarse comb and a normal slicker. I have not had problems brushing every day but that may be because Misha is always blown out after baths so he may mat less.

·
Super Moderator
5,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I use a CC 000 fine/coarse comb and a normal slicker. I have not had problems brushing every day but that may be because Misha is always blown out after baths so he may mat less.
Peggy's always blown out, too, but not when she dips her ears in her water bowl. That's why I think her ears might be the only place I'm seeing this. The texture of her hair is also quite different on her ears. It still feels like silky puppy hair.

Sounds like I might just need to add a comb to my routine.

·
Super Moderator
5,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've had these since April: Amazon.com: Hertzko 2 Pack Pet Combs Small & Large Comb Included for Both Small & Large Areas -Removes Tangles, Knots, Loose Fur and Dirt. Ideal for Everyday Use for Dogs and Cats with Short or Long Hair

They're the only thing that really, really gets at the mats that tend to form, and I don't know how I functioned without them before. You might also already know this, but when you use a comb on curly hair, make sure you start at the tips of the hair and work your way slowly down to the roots, because if you come up from the roots, it becomes one big knot and is pretty painful and difficult to get out.
Thank you for the recommendation and reminder! Same thing would happen if I tried to comb my own hair from the roots.

I have this comb, and I especially like it for Raffi's very long beautiful ears! Someone else on here had recommended it at some point but I can't remember who. Paw Brothers Extra Long Poodle Comb: Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies
Thank you! Gotta love those long beautiful ears. :)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I also have the paws brother poodle comb, which is great for her topknot, but also a few inexpensive ($10-15) greyhound combs. I like to comb a section with the grain of the hair, then comb against the grain with the wide teeth, then do a quick comb with the close toothed size. If it's really tangled, start at the tips, then work to the skin. A comb is pretty easy on my hands even in an arthritis flare, I find it a way more efficient use of my time/than a brush, which i only use for blow drying. .
I buy mine from Rens (Q brand), which you probably can't get. I keep combs in various rooms for impromtu mini grooming sessions. I think Andis combs are inexpensive on Amazon, too and should be reasonable quality (I have an andis pin brush, which I stole for my own hair lol).

·
Registered
568 Posts
I use a slicker brush (I like the Artero one that is paintbrush shaped and bendy) and then I follow that up with a greyhound comb making sure I get down to the skin. My comb is an Andies off of Amazon. I have lots of combs/locations: training bag, passenger side door of every vehicle, easy chair, and (ahem) two grooming tables -one in the shed and one in the guest room. I really have no excuse for not combing my dog, lol. Combing long ears everyday is the key to avoiding mats.

I also have greyhound combs of different sizes. I like the mustache size for combing out eye crust, a wide tooth for fluffing, regular for most everything. I do not have expensive high end combs, and I would love to try one. I hear reports that they are so much better. I’m a little skeptical of this, but someday I’ll probably hand over my money for a CC because clearly I have a comb addiction.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Im inexperienced with the comparison with differences with brush teeth in the poodle world, and what's "best".

However, it sounds like grip and comfort are a high priority. I purchased is the furminator brush at my local pet store. It's handle is rubber and pretty bulbus that fits in the palm.

The teeth aren't as long and they have a slight contour.

I keep Basil's ears short, but for her body I still apply a similar line brush/comb technique and it still gets down to the skin.

Here are some pics to compare.

(Basil's 6:40am bed head)

·
Registered
463 Posts
If I may suggest,
If her ears are matting wash them and use a good quality conditioner. Maybe something like cowboy magic detangler and keep her ear hair shorter.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts