Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As mentioned in another thread, Peggy had an awful grooming experience and I'd like to maintain her at home now for as long as possible.

What's the best brush for daily maintenance of a short coat? I've got a couple of different slickers and combs for her longer tail and topknot, but her body was clipped (I think) with a 7 blade. And not very evenly. I can actually see skin in some spots. :(

Would I use the canine equivalent of a horse's rubber curry comb? Soft bristles? Pin brush?

And is there a book I could refer to for this sort of thing? Like a definitive guide to grooming poodles for the home groomer?

I generally do better with books than with YouTube videos (although YouTube videos are great for watching a technique in action once I've absorbed the basics).

Thanks, poodle friends!

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I actually just use a human pinbrush on Rory - bought several dog ones and didn’t like them, then one day tried one of mine and have used it ever since! He is kept pretty short so not much is needed for his body and legs, just topknot, ears and tail.

·
Super Moderator
7,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did use a pinbrush on her today, and she seemed to appreciate it. I think she's still so itchy and the bristles on that brush are gentle but nicely massaging. I also found a bump on her that seemed to have a sharp splinter coming out of it. Eek. Maybe it was embedded in her skin, and her body finally pushed it out?

That right there is a good argument for doing at least a gentle brush every day!

·
Registered
449 Posts
A2026203-4BE5-46CB-B704-5418C40D6A56.jpeg
Here‘s what I use. The white brush is called a Groom Genie. It’s actually a cat brush but I love it and so does Bobby. I bought it when he was a pup. The bristles are softly firm and are nicely massaging. They are gentle on his skin and they go through his short hair nicely. Unfortunately, they don’t make them anymore but maybe you could still find one online? My main tool is the greyhound comb. If had to pick one tool, this would be it as I comb him from head to toe with it. I comb him section by section and it really does do a a good job. I actually splurged big time and purchased a CC butter comb. It’s due to arrive tomorrow. The bristle boar brush I use at the end of his combing session to distribute his natural oils and whatever else I put on him. I sometimes use coconut oil and the brush does a nice job of evenly distributing that. It also picks up more loose hair. Short haired poodles are relatively easy keepers when it comes to brushing and combing.😊
You had asked about a rubber curry brush. I think those are best for slick short haired dogs. That’s what we used for our Great Dane. Worked wonders on his coat but I think the rubber would pull and drag on the thick poodle coat and not do a good job getting deeper into the coat to the skin. Then again, there are so many different kinds maybe there is a type that would work.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I like to use my Paw Brothers plastic tipped slicker on Misha's short areas. He seems to enjoy it in itchy areas. It is super super soft to the point that it doesn't actually remove burrs well at all. But it's great for casual brushing. And it's super cheap.

·
Super Moderator
7,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
View attachment 471357
Here‘s what I use. The white brush is called a Groom Genie. It’s actually a cat brush but I love it and so does Bobby. I bought it when he was a pup. The bristles are softly firm and are nicely massaging. They are gentle on his skin and they go through his short hair nicely. Unfortunately, they don’t make them anymore but maybe you could still find one online? My main tool is the greyhound comb. If had to pick one tool, this would be it as I comb him from head to toe with it. I comb him section by section and it really does do a a good job. I actually splurged big time and purchased a CC butter comb. It’s due to arrive tomorrow. The bristle boar brush I use at the end of his combing session to distribute his natural oils and whatever else I put on him. I sometimes use coconut oil and the brush does a nice job of evenly distributing that. It also picks up more loose hair. Short haired poodles are relatively easy keepers when it comes to brushing and combing.😊
You had asked about a rubber curry brush. I think those are best for slick short haired dogs. That’s what we used for our Great Dane. Worked wonders on his coat but I think the rubber would pull and drag on the thick poodle coat and not do a good job getting deeper into the coat to the skin. Then again, there are so many different kinds maybe there is a type that would work.
Thanks for this. Can't wait for your butter comb review! I recently got a greyhound comb, but have only been using it to find tangles.

·
Super Moderator
7,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like to use my Paw Brothers plastic tipped slicker on Misha's short areas. He seems to enjoy it in itchy areas. It is super super soft to the point that it doesn't actually remove burrs well at all. But it's great for casual brushing. And it's super cheap.
It probably feels similar to the pin brush I was just using on her. She looked at me when I finished like, "Um. Did I tell you to stop?"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts