Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using a gentle bar shampoo for their poods? Which brand(s) do you recommend?

Currently using Earthbath tearless. No problems with it, just wanting to switch to a bar form. Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Mysticrealm would be an excellent source of information on this. I'm only familiar with, but have not used, Chubbs bars. I think they are more geared to cats and dogs with oilier coats, so do not feel they are optimal for Poodles. The Earthbath yellow label you've been using I also use from time to time, just find it a bit too stripping for frequent use.

High quality pet shampoos are intended for dilution, and are primarily liquids. Lines such as those from Groomer's Choice (several; I love and use Coat Handler, now called the Hypoallergenic one; they also have it in a clarifying style), Chris Christensen, Best Shot, K9 Competition, Nature's Specialties, Groomer's Edge, and Quadruped offer some of the better options. All these have excellent conditioners, too. I've used four of these and have plans for a couple of the others, too, if not all of them :).

This doesn't answer your question, I know, just with the all-important rinsing that can be a little tough to fully complete, I really appreciate a liquid shampoo intended for dilution - that still does its job well. The above will do that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Streetcar! I've had Nature's Specialties on my list of shampoos to try and will look into the others as well. :) The idea of a compact shampoo bar lasting 3 months seems nice, but definitely not at the expense of being too stripping or difficult to rinse out completely.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Thanks Streetcar! I've had Nature's Specialties on my list of shampoos to try and will look into the others as well. :) The idea of a compact shampoo bar lasting 3 months seems nice, but definitely not at the expense of being too stripping or difficult to rinse out completely.
I have used Nature's Specialties Almond Crisp Shampoo for 26 yrs now. My groomer uses their line of products. I buy a 32 oz bottle on Amazon, no shipping chg on prime. Poppy is a very active, tomboy of a Standard and she gets bathed often.....very often. Our record is 4 baths in a week...sometimes I call her, affectionately, Miss Piggy. That 32 oz bottle, which is $28, has lasted me since June of last year. I just ordered a neww bottle yesterday. You use 1 oz shampoo to 32 oz of water. I mix it in an empty dish detergent bottle as I can just squirt it on her coat where I need it. Sometimes when Poppy has rolled and played in the mud she requires shampooing 3 times to get clean, just because of all the grit in her coat.

The point of all this is to say a couple of things. Because the shampoo is so concentrated it lasts a REALLY long time. I view that as a real bargain. When you use it it seems real watery and not very sudsy....it's supposed to be that way. It gets her coat so clean and leaves her shiny and never ever dry. She smells good, mild almond fragrance, and not over powering with fragrance.

It is a really nice line of products and I recommend them often. You can order smaller bottles and even order trial size bottles to see if you like it.

I hope this info is helpful.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I got a sample of the Wondercide Hypoallergenic Natural Shampoo bar soap and I am not a fan.........too hard to rinse out of long hair! Not bad results just takes too long!

I have been using the Kim Laube Aloe Heel and really like it...cost effective too, as it has a 50-1 dilution rate. Has a pleasant smell that is not overpowering. Also tried the Laube 'All In White' ....it's 'ok' but prefer the Aoe Heel!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts