Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to travel with my dog, and i was wondering what has been your experience with different airlines?

Best? Worst? Why?

Please, i really need some help here..

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I'm about to travel with my dog, and i was wondering what has been your experience with different airlines?

Best? Worst? Why?

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
I don't have tons of advice to give, but one question. Are you flying your dog in the hold or on the plane with you?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Someone on here linked this awhile ago, but I bookmarked it because the site looked to be VERY helpful!

Airline Policies - just look up by letter!

I can't tell you anything from experience as I have never flown with an animal... however my parents flew American with my cat a few years ago (when I was a frosh in college... it was a great surprise!) and they had a good flight... Tom was allowed to even come out of his cage and sit on Dad's lap for a bit in the air.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts

Best? Worst? Why?

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
Delta has the bigest underseat storage . And contineltal has the pets safe program.. Look them up on the web and call them with questions..
I know that Delta was fabulouse ..I just had a puppy person Sullys mom fly out here and take him home in the cabin with her...

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
You should book this right away, because airlines typically only allow a couple of pets in the cabin at a time. I've only done it once, but it was over 15 years ago. I think it was Northwest, but I really don't remember for sure.

It was a pleasant experience, but like I said, it was a long time ago. Good luck and best wishes!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies! :)

I was really worried about carrier sizes? which airlines allows the biggest? etc.

:)
Thanks,

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I think the expert on air travel with dogs on this board is Cuddleparty. You could try PMing her and seeing what her advice is!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Since you mentioned a cat, that got me thinking. How could that work with animals in the cabin? I would imagine those with severe allergies would be set into a panic over animals out in an airline, no?

And what do people do who do not have a 'small pet' to fit under the seat? Is travel just awful for them underneath? I've heard such horror stories, but it was years ago.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I flew with my toy poodle, Katie, up to Boston a few times on American. While roaming the airport I would have her in the carrier and let her poke her head out.

I have found that flight attendants are better if you respect the rules and make sure the pet is totally contained in the bag. Most of them are real sweet.

I like the window seat because their was less hustle going on around her. An aisle seat would be scary with the drink cart going by. It does get drafty on the floor, so keep a little blanky in there if needed.

On my first trip, I was worried about her particularly on ascent and descent. Her ears didn't bother her at all. Might be a good idea to have a soft chewy treat handy just in case. I also tended to put my hand in her bag to check on her. It didn't take long to realize that I was just teasing her. Making her think that she was going to be able to get out. I think it's pretty rare that they let you take them out during the flight.

When I left her alone, she just curled up and slept the entire flight. It was really easy (once I calmed down and realized she was ok). She even made the entire 4 hour flight and airport time without having to potty. Such a good girl! God rest her soul. I miss her. :love:

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Aww I am so sorry that you lost your Katie :(
I like the chewy idea.... The center seats on Delta were the larger underseat storage

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Since you mentioned a cat, that got me thinking. How could that work with animals in the cabin? I would imagine those with severe allergies would be set into a panic over animals out in an airline, no?

And what do people do who do not have a 'small pet' to fit under the seat? Is travel just awful for them underneath? I've heard such horror stories, but it was years ago.
We have flown our dogs twice in the cargo hold (2 different dogs) and probably wouldn't do it again unless we absolutely had to. The worst part is entrusting your precious furry family member to the baggage handlers more than an hour before your flight! The other thing is one of our dogs became very sensitive to loud noises after the flight when she was fine before. Guess it's pretty loud down there in the hold.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Aww I am so sorry that you lost your Katie :(
I like the chewy idea.... The center seats on Delta were the larger underseat storage

Thank You for the sweet thought. I have lots of wonderful memories and am thankful she had a long life. I would imagine a center seat would have a lot more room.

Like Marian said, most carriers only allow 1-2 pets in the cabin.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have traveled all but one time with pets in the cargo hold. And as far away as Okinawa (13 hour flight for them) then another couple hours to get the off-duty customs guy to come in and release them. Only had one issue in 26 years of traveling and the airlines was great, they lost the heating in the cargo area and had an emergency landing of the plane to deport the animals and get them on another flight. All three landed on the next flight in from that airport. Puppies flying in or out have had no issues. Even when I had to pick up Bindi I was able to see the area where the airlines held pets, very nice and warm and safe, lots of fences in between them and anywhere else. They even had replaced the papers she was on.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Thanks for this posting stars :) Makes me feel better about Nee flying this spring ...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts