Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having had a dog with hip dysplasia which required surgery on both hips and use of ramps and care for activity his whole life, we want to avoid it ever happening again to one of our pups.
I heard that delaying neuter until after growth plates close (15-18 mos) decreases chance of hip dysplasia. Our vet doubts the literature and says the surgery is more complicated. It also leaves long folds of skin where the testicles were.
Is this true? Why can't they just trim the excess skin to make it more cosmetic? Or should I look for another vet? Or should I just have Lewis snipped at 7 mos - his current age?

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
My standard turned 13 months on the 1 of Jnaury. He is getting neutered on Tuesday. The recommendation is 12-18 months. I just feel its time. Our boxer was also neutered at 12 months he is 4 now. The skin from his testicles did hang but gradually shrunk. Its there more so than on a dog with an early neuter but not terribly noticeably.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I'd wait until the growth plates are closed! Those are important hormones you would be removing by early neuter! As far as excessive skin, it is negligible and not as important as your dogs proper bone growth!

P.S. I am happy you finally found a pup! But hey! Post some pics of him cuz we'd love to see him!

·
Registered
589 Posts
If you want this pup for mobility assistance it is even more important to wait until the growth plates are closed. If you neuter early, the bones will grow long and thin. Your dog will be taller but skinnier. If you wait, the dog will be a bit shorter but sturdier, with better bone mass.

I waited until Zephyr was 2 yo before I neutered, and am very happy that I did.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Saaanderud:

What type of poodle do you have? Standard, mini or toy?

I have a oversized toy, 11 months today, and debating on when it the best time to neuter.

·
Premium Member
6,417 Posts
12-18 months is what I was shooting for with my toy boy Leonard, I ended up doing it at 8 1/2 months because he retained 13 baby teeth that were not coming out and were going to interfere with his adult teeth. Didn't want him to undergo anesthesia twice.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
I’ve neutered my male toy at 18 months. He recovered very well and there is no flap of skin whatsoever. It’s like he never had balls...

I wouldn’t neuter a dog before he is finished growing. 18 months is perfect.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
twyla

...he retained 13 baby teeth that were not coming out and were going to interfere with his adult teeth.
Need to have my vet look at Rocky's teeth...not sure if he still has any baby teeth.

·
Premium Member
6,417 Posts
twyla

Need to have my vet look at Rocky's teeth...not sure if he still has any baby teeth.
Leonard had a full set of baby (front teeth)incisors, and three retained canine, he looked like a shark.

·
Registered
586 Posts
For a spoo, i’d Definitely wait till he is at least 2. My mini was neutered at 10 months due to timing, but he had finish growing at 8-ish months (quite normal for small dogs). at 7 months, your spoo still has a ton of growing to do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts