Poodle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, yesterday, my 23 week old miniature poodle Benni had his first full groom. The groomer used a number 3 (1/2" length left) which she said was the longest she could go using a clipper, I cannot believe I picked up the same furry long haired poodle I had dropped off. I think he is getting used to his new look too.
Since his coat is much shorter now, and with the cold temperatures here in Southeast PA, how often should I bathe him to prevent drying his skin. I always take him outdoors for potty breaks with a coat on.
He is definitely becoming an over sized mini. He weighs 20 pounds and without getting a perfect measurement due to him not standing still for more than a couple seconds, he is approximately 15" to 15.5" tall at the withers. a
Dog Water dog Dog breed Vertebrate Carnivore
Dog Water dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,819 Posts
Adorable! What a velvety little boy. :) How did he do?

I don’t generally bathe Peggy between grooming appointments. I remove any crusties or goop from her eyes with clean fingers as needed (generally a couple of times per day). But other than that, she stays fresh and clean even with regular outdoor adventures. Regular brushing helps, as do shaved face, feet, and tail/bum.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Adorable! What a velvety little boy. :) How did he do?

I don’t generally bathe Peggy between grooming appointments. I remove any crusties or goop from her eyes with clean fingers as needed (generally a couple of times per day). But other than that, she stays fresh and clean even with regular outdoor adventures. Regular brushing helps, as do shaved face, feet, and tail/bum.
Well, he was "challenging" according to the groomer. I figured as much since he is still very mouthy. I have done everything I have been advised to do, but he's just very difficult. I actually wear puncture proof gloves I use for glass mosaics when I brush him daily or try to get a finger toothbrush into his mouth to get him used to my fingers. I have started this a week after I had him since his tooth care is very important to me. I hope once I start using a flavored toothpaste after his adult teeth come in, he will be more accepting of my finger brush or actual toothbrush in his mouth. Is it harmful to bathe him more frequently than six weeks when he gets a full grooming?

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
Benni looks so cute in his new clip.

I usually bathe every 2 weeks.

I use a high velocity dryer to use to fully dry my minipoos after a bath because I don’t want them going out in the cold with wet hair.

Poodles in conformation get bathed more often. I don’t think washing a poodle every two weeks would dry their skin out unless they have a skin condition, or very dry skin (not sure how common that is). What is important is to rinse shampoo completely. Shampoo not well rinsed, left on the skin can be an irritant for dogs as well as humans. I also don’t use conditioner except long ears ot bracelets and puffs.

Reactions: LittleCloud

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
You should not have a problem with drying the skin if you use a high quality shampoo that you dilute and then rinse well. Pro shampoos are intended to be diluted. CC, Quadruped, Nature's Specialties, Special K, Best Shot - products like these and more should do well. Many don't use a conditioner; I do, plus a bit of grooming spray during drying and brushing.

Such a cutie you have!

·
Registered
Luca red tpoo and Matteo blue Spoo
299 Posts
Love those ears! He is looking good. I wash the dogs two to three times a week, as my husband is allergic to fresh wood and we often go for walks in the forest. I rinse thoroughly and use a good shampoo from the vet. None of the dogs have any problems with their skin.

·
Registered
Mini Poodle
117 Posts
Oh, he is quite charming! I bathe my minipoo every 2 weeks, unless he needs to be cleaned again. then I go ahead and do it then. The other day I bathed him and 2 days later, he had to get another one. I would say just watch in case he shows any signs of dry skin. I use Burt's bees oatmeal shampoo/conditioner and he seems to do good with it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your replies. Will bathe him less frequently during these low winter temperatures.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I bathe every 7-14 days and dry with high velocity dryer. I do condition, either while bathing or with a leave-in conditioner after drying. I do not think frequent bathing is a problem if you are using quality products. You may find the hair gets dry if you bathe frequently without conditioning. But I've never seen issue with the skin. I think bathing and air drying with a long coat could cause issues because the skin stays damp for so long and it is unhealthy. But with a short coat it is probably fine. With a long coat it is much better to use a high velocity dryer.

·
Registered
80 Posts
What a cutie. Benni could Piper’s (bigger) twin brother! We bathe Piper every one to two weeks using Nature’s Recipe “almond crisp”. No problems with her skin. We do clean her eyes/face/sanitary daily with a wash cloth

1 - 10 of 10 Posts