Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Last time my girl Princess was in to see her vet I had him look at a small mass I noticed. It is on her upper eyelid and at the time was very small. The vet removed it and after 2 weeks it’s back, only bigger. She is scheduled to see that vet again next Wednesday. So I’m asking here because first I was surprised it returned so quickly and that it’s larger this time. I don’t think they did a biopsy as the vet seemed to recognize it right away as benign. After some online research I’m not so sure. I’m not sure a biopsy wasn’t done so I’m checking on that. Going forward, what else should I watch out for?
Thanks

·
Registered
767 Posts
Misty has a wart in her ear, and I freaked out a while back because it had grown. Went to the vet, and they recognized it as a wart because, to them, it looked exactly like one. They told me they could remove it, but it was not really worth it, as she wasn't in pain or discomfort and it was not growing at the rate they would expect to see in a cancerous growth. They called me a week later and said that the way it looked was typical of how warts are, and since the growth of it had slowed down, and not to worry unless it started bleeding more (the main reason we took her in, turned out to be a scab on top of the wart), or started growing extremely fast.

In order to do a biopsy in that area of the body (the eyelid), they would either need to A) put her under anesthesia or B) sedate her heavily. However, they would more likely do a fine needle aspiration, since this is less invasive overall (but still likely would require at the least sedation). It also depends on what kind of removal they did--wart removal procedures, (at least, the one they described to me as the one they would do on Misty) entail taking surgical pieces of string, wrapping them around the wart and cutting it off. I believe they also may freeze them off, but this is less common. Anyways, it is possible for a wart to grow back, although rare. I think this usually happens if the whole wart is not removed, if I am not mistaken. Papilloma of the Skin

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is very interesting,
I hadn’t considered a wart. I should also mention that this, whatever it is, the next day after having it removed, it was back. I also saw a spot on her lower eyelid directly across from the upper eyelid. The idea of a virus crossed my mind. Especially considering how quickly it showed back up and then how quickly it seemed to vanish. I wonder if this could in some way be related to the synthetic hormone she was started on? She had some urinary incontenance I’ve got a bunch of questions for her vet. If you folks think of anything let me know. She goes back to the vet next Wednesday
Thanks everyone

·
Registered
767 Posts
I do wonder about her hormone (or even the fact that her hormones are off-balance) medicine causing lipomas:
Old Dog Lumps & Bumps
Ah, and warts are caused by a virus! It's dog-to-dog, and what you describe with one fading could be the clue to figuring this out, since as the dog's body fights off the virus in that area, the wart will sometimes fade completely. It's called CPV (canine papilloma virus).
Benign Dog Lumps and Dog Warts (You can see the video, just not the article)
And you're very welcome!

(As an aside, can I just rant for a minute about the mercola site? I wanted to look at the article for this post, but it's closed because it's 'censored' until you give them your email. If I recall, it didn't use to be 'censored' and some of their content was rather informative. The last time I gave them my email, I got emailed non-stop about vaccine drama... Just AGH!).

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Remind me how old Princess is? Was it a wart?

Gracie got lots of them in her senior years, and our vet told us they'd grow right back if she removed them.
Peggy,
Princess is 9 years old. The vet referred to this as a benign mass. No mention of warts. I’m making a list of questions. I wasn’t able to speak with her vet after the procedure as he was already caring for another pet. I realize their busy but that is kinda crappy.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Floofy,
More good links, thanks.
not sure what is going on with Mercola. Haven’t visited in awhile. Got tired of them always selling expensive remedies. I will say they have some interesting content. Censorship until you give your email is bad marketing. I’m going there now and see what happens

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Princess was wet her bed only once as well as what I thought were a few small areas on the carpet. Never could quite tell for sure and the vet put her on a hormone. I’m still not convinced she needs it. Another question for the vet. It’s like I have to be careful what to say to this vet. Feel like I have to be the vet. Everyone I talk to raves about this clinic

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a follow up,
Had the vet remove the mass again from her upper eyelid. He said he was conservative the first time and didn’t want to take any more tissue than necessary. But, since it had grown back so quickly removed more tissue to ensure all of the mass was removed. This also necessitated a couple stitches. This was done last Wednesday and already looks like it’s healing well. I’m waiting on the results of the biopsy.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for following along. It surprises me how much my girls have come to mean to me. And this group provides great solace

1 - 11 of 11 Posts