Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my parents are saying they're going to rehome belle. I'm so hoping they will go back on what they're saying since they're known to do that..

They're saying they're tired of her peeing on the floor, and that it's my fault that she does because I don't properly care for her :(.

So now they're saying she has to be rehomed..

·
Registered
843 Posts
Having a dog is a big responsibility.
Housebreaking is a big part of it.
Maybe you can sit down with your parents and make a compromise,find out specifically what they would like you to do.
Then you have to live up to your end of the bargain.
Good luck.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Having a dog is a big responsibility.
Housebreaking is a big part of it.
Maybe you can sit down with your parents and make a compromise,find out specifically what they would like you to do.
Then you have to live up to your end of the bargain.
Good luck.
Seriously i've tried everything they just refuse to listen to me. I'm the invisible child in this family. They even said they have absolutely no attachment to belle whatsoever. And just now my mom wanted me to just toss her out in the garage just because the baby is trying to eat and she didn't want to see her begging. Of course I didn't do it and have her in my lap now but, i just dont even know who my parents are anymore.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I am sorry you are having problems with your parents and Belle's potty training. How old is Belle, what kind of poodle is she (toy, mini, standard)? Does she have the run of the house?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am sorry you are having problems with your parents and Belle's potty training. How old is Belle, what kind of poodle is she (toy, mini, standard)? Does she have the run of the house?
She is 8 months and she is a toy. She absolutely does NOT have run of the house, I try and keep her on a schedule and do not let her roam the house until she does potty outside. Her accidents have become much less, so I don't understand why they're flipping out. :(:crying:

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Awwwww, I hope it works out for Belle that she can stay. *fingers crossed*for ya!

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
When they're young you should take them out every 1hr to see if they have to go.. this will reinforce where they should be going.

When Belle starts to go say your command like "go poddy" or "go to the bathroom", and do this EVERY TIME. Eventually Belle will go on command.

It took Moose a while to get it too so don't worry it's just not your dog.

The thing to remember is they won't ever get poddy training if you don't constantly reinforce the same thing over and over.

Training them this is a LOT of work and takes a LOT of time.

Once you get that command in their head and they listen it maeks your life EASIER, and once you learn their "schedule" it's even easier.

For instance, with Moose I wake up, check email, he hangs out with me then I feed him and I mix water in his food (very little). Then I take him out to go Pee, and he comes back in and rests with me for 1hr-2hrs then I take him for a run or walk and during that time I KNOW he will Poop. Then he gets more water, and either hangs with me while I work or outside with me exploring... he gets water throughout the day, and I let him go out when I thnk he needs to. He gets real ansy, and will nudge my hand, or put his face on my lap if I`m on the couch if he wants to go out, moose is not a dog that goest ot he door so it sucks in that aspect, but he does try to get my attention, and says HEY I NEED YOU. (Since I take him out often anyway this is rare now-days). He poops once a day unless I run him again later after his nightly feeding, which is rare because he nromally has diahree if I run him after dinner, so after dinnner he gets a littlew ater (feed is aruond 6:30ish) and then I let him Pee once before I put him down for the night.. Depending how tired he is he sometimes goes to bed at 7 or 8 and sleeps until 9 the next morning.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Oh, and we trained Moose in a rental before we bought our house, haha, that was our goal :) Not to have him Pee in our house! L O L. Glad we did too, since now we have brand new carpet, and soon new hard floors too...

Although throw-up is almost as bad and he stil does that sometimes.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I just got my new puppy on Saturday. My first dog that I still have is a toy poodle mix. I was having lots of trouble too until I consistanly crate trained him. They love routines. Like the the other poster posted. It's been a while sense Toby was little but I know it took me at least a year to have him house broke to the point that I didn't worry about it and he 'knew' how to tell me.
If you have a crate/kennel use it. Right now I have a crate and a pack and play left over from my kids and if the puppy is awake and I can not have him in my sight he has to go one of the two. We did this with Toby (the toy) too and they don't like to potty in 'thier' bed. TO me it was harder to train the toy but he was my first dog and it was a learning process. Really you have to watch them ALL the time and stick to a routine to break it...If your commited to training her then sit down with your parents when things cool off a bit.

ROFL! just reread my post....the pack and play was left over from the kids not the crate =)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you so much for the advice I greatly appreciate it!!

I'm hoping if I can "show" my parents the effort I'm putting into training her they will allow me to keep her!

I did not even ask to have her, it was seriously fate that I ended up with her so I know this is definitely my best friend and I want to do whatever it takes to keep her!!

Right now things are going smoothly, belle hasn't had any accidents all day today. (Like I said I'm starting to figure out her schedule so the accidents are happening a lot less!!)

Crossing fingers that by tomorrow they'll calm down and will not make me rehome her!!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Toy dogs are much harder to train then large dogs, that's just the way it is. My spoos were a breeze, I literally had to show Romeo (my cream standard) the back yard door and doggie door once and that was it, no kidding. My Havanese, also a toy dog took from 12 weeks to 6 months of constat and consistant training, but at 6 months he was totally depandable and got the run of the house. I would recommend you crate her or put her in a playpan every time you can't watch her, no exceptions. If you crate, make sure the crate is just big enough for her, so she can't soil in it. If you have a playpen, put a wee-wee pad in there. It takes time, but it will happen.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I guess my mom is being serious. She just told my 4 year old niece that Belle is going to live with her!!

I'm FURIOUS because my sister neglected her last THREE pets!! Her 2 cats *I* reported her and took it upon myself to put her cats in the shelter so that they could find loving homes!!

Her dog was set loose and ran away and was found by another family!!!

I'm VERY upset and WILL GO INSANE if my mom gives my dog away to that BITCH of a sister I have!!

I went off on my mom saying she shouldn't give my sister the dog because she WON'T TAKE CARE OF HER!! My mom said, "Oh what like you do?!"

OF COURSE I DO!! I'm the one who trains her!! I'm the one who took her to the vet!! I'm the one who runs her to the groomer's!! I'm the one who feeds her, nurtures her, and exercises her!!

BUT I GUESS I'M JUST A BAD PET OWNER!!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I suggest you start looking for a responsible home for Belle just in case you can't change your parents mind. At least then she wouldn't go to your sister. Is it possible that you could move out or find a foster home for her until you can?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ring the Bells

Just in case you can get things to work out, you might try training with bells. With my first 2 dogs I realized that part of the problem of potty training was to get them to tell me that they needed to go. So, when I got my first poodle, I purchased bells to hang on the door and taught herto ring the bells to ask to go outside. This worked... Suzy would ring the bells and if no-one responded and opened the door for her, she would come stare at you. I am now potty training my second standard poodle, Roxy, and will start to introduce bells this week. Because she is starting to understand that potty and outside go together....

Hope it works out that you can keep her!

p

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I hope you don't have to get rid of her !!!!!!!! Hit me up on aim later

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So far today mom hasn't mentioned anything about rehoming belle. I'm hoping it'll stay this way. I've been trying to just keep belle out of my parents' way so that they have no complaints about her.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
I'd just train her as much as you can when you are home and when you are not stick her in her crate.

If you haven't crate trained her now may be a perfect time too.

Let your parents know when they can't watch her put her in her crate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Potty pads work well too! My 2 toys use them during the day while I am away. Of course they do not have the run of the house...just our master bathroom with babygates to hold them in. Very seldom do they have accidents in the house. We are also on a slight schedule for going outside. When we wake up they go out first thing. They know "go potty" and they get all excited. The go out during the evening a couple of times and then they "go potty" before bed. It took me a while to train my boy.

Your Belle is only 8 months. They say puppies/dogs can hold their potty 1 hour for every year old they are. Take that into consideration.

Let your parents know that you are on here getting advice on how to take responsibility of your puppy. Maybe they will see that you are going to take care of her. Not sure how old you are but it is a lot of responsibility but you can do it if you really want to keep her!

Good luck! I know you would be really sad if you didnt get to keep her!

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Yes I advised to just stick with the training she is only a puppy your parents need to understand that. Like I told you Enzo will pee on floor if we let him sleep out of the crate for more than 4 days. Enzo is 7 months.

Sorry that our convo got cut short my sister jacked the comp from me :mad:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts