Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #1
I had her chipped only a month ago using the AKC Reunite Single Indigo ISO+ Microchip w/ Tag for $15.95, which is made of bioglass rather than plastic. It's not the mini-chip, it's the regular size one, and my vet inserted it. Bella's a 13 month old toy and weighs 4 lbs.

A week ago I shaved her down and she's pretty skinny; the vet said last month she's a bit underweight. This morning I discovered the chip is no longer between her shoulder blades but two inches away, (directionally toward the tail and down a bit by her ribs; it's not on her front leg, but just above it, maybe three inches above her elbow). It's not a bump or a lump, it feels like a grain of rice that I can manipulate a bit, and I'm dead sure it's the chip. I tried to massage it back toward the center of her shoulders with no success.

It's so close to the surface of her skin that it could probably be removed very easily. Should I ask the vet to do this? I'm concerned it'll continue to migrate over the months or years and may end up in a bad place, possibly in her rib cage. I don't know if it could migrate below the surface of the skin to an organ. Thanks.

Registered
Chips do migrate, but if it is just under the skin I don't think it will move to anywhere dangerous. The main problem can be some scanners only test the shoulder blade area, and if the chip has moved too far it can be missed - in the UK a Halo scanner, which scans the whole animal, is becoming widely used for this reason. If you are concerned I would talk to your vet at your next visit.

Reactions: Dechi and Vita

Premium Member
Lily's chip migrated along the lateral aspect of her right humerus. We noted that in her records at the vet and with the microchip maker. No biggie unless someone doesn't take the time to look for it.

Reactions: Vita and Dechi
1 - 4 of 4 Posts