Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bella growls at Lola every time she tries to play with her I keep them separated when I can't watch them but how do I make her like her? Bella is normally a very sweet dog and I want her and Lola to get along what are some good ways to get Bella to bond with her? I hold Bella a lot so she knows I still love her but she don't want the new puppy near her.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
It's hard to know exactly "when" you're holding and comforting Bella, but if this was a situation in MY house, my growling dog would NEVER get comforted or told "it's ok..." because it's NOT!!! I would not reward her unless she's doing something of which I approve. Sometimes my 8 year old mini dachshund will growl at one of the other dogs if they get close to something she thinks is "hers"... I don't allow it!! I will make a sharp, "Eh eh" noise and she knows momma's not happy and she'll submit... if you are allowing Bella to growl at Lola or trying to comfort her or reward her for expressing dominance; she has no reason to quit!

Good luck!

·
Registered
681 Posts
The first few days at home, we had both dogs on leashes. So they were easy to control. Midge took to Captain right away though. Just keep a close eye on both of them, and give them each their own space. In the past, we've put a towel in with the new dog and a towel in with the old dog, and then switched after a day, so they can get used to the other dog's smell.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
It's hard to know exactly "when" you're holding and comforting Bella, but if this was a situation in MY house, my growling dog would NEVER get comforted or told "it's ok..." because it's NOT!!! I would not reward her unless she's doing something of which I approve. Sometimes my 8 year old mini dachshund will growl at one of the other dogs if they get close to something she thinks is "hers"... I don't allow it!! I will make a sharp, "Eh eh" noise and she knows momma's not happy and she'll submit... if you are allowing Bella to growl at Lola or trying to comfort her or reward her for expressing dominance; she has no reason to quit!

Good luck!
Yup what she said. You allow the behavior and comfort her and reward it by petting or cooing or coddling and you are reinforcing that behavior. Look at it this way. If the dog was doing something you liked what would your reaction to her be? Would you pet her as a reward? Would you tell her to come and jump in your lap? The dog doesn't know good and bad behavior you have to teach it. Tell her that this new dog is part of your pack, you are allowing it and it's not up to her to discipline pack members it's up to you. So just give her a correction any time she gets protective over something (right now she's doing this about you) and watch them together at all times. On Leerburg they don't allow new dogs freedom to roam the house. They are new to the pack so they are introduced very slowly and always on a lead or contained in a crate in the house. This way that new dog/puppy knows that you are in control of it's whole life. I think it also makes the rest of the dogs in your pack know that you are leader and know what you are doing so they can trust your instincts.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't hold Bella when she growls at Lola I tell her no. I just meant I hold her too at different times so she won't get jealous of the new puppy. I will try the towel thing that sounds like a really good idea. She is only out to roam the living room area when I am right over her watching her every move and so far she has not had any accidents in the house she has been doing great with going outside. I had forgot how much work this is I keep thinking when I'm outside in the cold waiting for her to potty that there are others on here going though the same thing I am, so if anyone comes up with any good ideas on how they are doing their potty training please post. I am taking her out every couple of hours or so through the day and I and some of my other family members are holding her a lot in between times so she will hold it longer and so far she is doing real good, she is so sweet and full of energy we love her a lot.

Kathy

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I think you are applying human emotions and feelings to your dogs and it's clouding your judgement as far as training goes.

When I introduce a new dog I leave that new dog in a crate and let my current dogs sniff and get a feel for the new arrival. As soon as my dogs are calm i might take it outside..i'll have one dog on one side of the fence and one on the other. I usually have my current dog on the OUTSIDE of the yard and the new dog on the inside...just so my current dog isn't defending her territory..which has honestly never been an issue anyway.

I don't see a reason to allow any of my dogs to be dominant because I feel as soon as that happens I'll no longer be the person they look to for direction. For instance the backyard isn't theirs to guard..it's mine.

Picking up, petting, even a soothing voice can be rewarding a dog for anxious and improper behavior.

On an unrelated note I grew up with a shepherd mix..she was a family dog and was so terrified of thunder. Everytime it would storm i'd invite her up into my bed and hold on to her all night. She ended up having severe thunder/anxiety problems even before the bad weather would start. We always knew when rain was coming because she'd be flipping out. I probably reinforced her behavior by cuddling and comforting her...although I was a child and just wanted to comfort my best friend..it may have been better to ignore her.

My last roommate had a husky/shepherd mix terrified of thunder and he'd do the same thing. I told him to ignore the dog when that happened and it took a few storms but he eventually didn't act as neurotic. he also bought CD's and nature stuff and would play thunder sounds randomly on his computer..now it's no big deal.

It's a different situation but a similar concept of ignoring behavior you don't want. I think many of us see a scared, sad, upset dog and want to comfort them but while I think dogs experience some sort of jealousy I don't think it's the same as human jealousy and shouldn't be treated as such.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I never pick up Bella or pet her when she is behaving improperly and I did have Lola where Bella could sniff her and get to know her I just wanted to know if anyone knew of some good ways to help them bond I don't think it will be a big problem its only been a few days. But I want to thank everyone for your comments I moved Lola's blanket in with Bella so hopefully that will help.

Kathy

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
how do I make her like her?
You can't. You can get them to tolerate each other, but there is no way you can MAKE them like each other.
Train them together, give Bella treats when she is behaving nicely with Lola, try the blanket thing, and just give them time.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
You can't. You can get them to tolerate each other, but there is no way you can MAKE them like each other.
Train them together, give Bella treats when she is behaving nicely with Lola, try the blanket thing, and just give them time.
Great advice. Most of our adult dogs have taken time to adjust to new puppies in the house. We have always been very careful to manage their interactions and make sure neither the older dog or the puppy is put in an uncomfortable or dangerous situation. Eventually they have all settled into their places within the family and we have had a harmonious time from then on.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I just want to say in Bella's behalf that puppies can be very annoying. If a puppy gets up into an adult dog's face or infringes on its space, I don't see why the adult dog shouldn't be able to reprimand the puppy.

I would not tolerate bullying by an older dog but I think puppies learn valuable social skills when the older dogs put them in their place.

If Bella does not want to play, she should not have to play.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I just want to say in Bella's behalf that puppies can be very annoying. If a puppy gets up into an adult dog's face or infringes on its space, I don't see why the adult dog shouldn't be able to reprimand the puppy.

I would not tolerate bullying by an older dog but I think puppies learn valuable social skills when the older dogs put them in their place.

If Bella does not want to play, she should not have to play.

I totally agree!!! It's an important puppy lesson to learn their place and how to respect space and their's NO better teacher than a stable adult dog.

Some times I think we way overthink this whole training thing :)

Once the new puppy has learned her manners and Bella has become used to her, I'm sure they will be great buddies, but you have to let it happen naturally. Just remember, new puppy is never going to learn how to respect Bella's space if she's never allowed to explore the possibilities and learn her lessons on her own.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Its the whole adjustment stage, i say give Bella some time and she'll come around once she realizes the pup isnt going anywhere. It can really bother the alpha dog when another one comes in. In my personal home i never had any problems with this. My old girl was alwys the bottom of the chain so when i brought gracie in there was no issue, then when i got mister they all just meshed nicely.
Let Bella put the pup in its place if its getting too rowdy with her but make sure she isnt outwardly attacking the pup.
Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts