Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My seven year old miniatures been on Wellness for toy breeds. I read in the poodle book that Orijen is top quality food for poodles. I am thinking of switching Bella's kibbles to Orijen. Do anyone feed their poodle Orijen ?

TLW

·
Registered
372 Posts
I don’t want to be a downer. It is an excellent food from what I can tell and the reviews are amazing which is why we wanted to try it. It was a total bomb for Bobby, the worst food we had ever tried for him. I went very slow with Bobby to try and transition him to this but it gave him horrible diarrhea. Way too rich for him. Not saying you shouldn’t try it as obviously many dogs do very well on it. This was just our experience. Bobby does much better with dog foods that have healthy whole grains in it.

·
Premium Member
2,113 Posts
I have fed Orijen, and for the same reason as you - because it's the highest rated dry food. That said, kibble has improved mightily over the last decade, and there are a number of brands that are very competitive. My dogs preferred Acana to Orijen (both are lines from the same company), and I had no concerns switching them over. If I found they preferred Go!, Instinct, or about a half dozen other brands, I wouldn't hesitate to change their diet.

About two years ago a study came out suggesting that grain-free dry food may be linked to heart disease, but those findings haven't been replicated. There have been several discussions here on the subject. Personally, I have no issue feeding grain-free. I bring this up so that you have context when inevitably someone else raises the issue.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
For my little pup, Orijen’s protein content was too high and put stress on her kidneys (came up in early exam). I went to Nulo, Zignature, and Primal which she’s been doing very well on.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I found those highest dog foods were too rich for my border collie and switched to Taste of the Wild. No problems. Also, having fostered several dogs, and only once being given dog food, I can say that if you go to raw you can transition immediately. Also, if you transition to grain free you can transition immediately with no mixing of the food. The problem seems to be the grain. The dog's system needs time to transition from corn to wheat, basically different grains. This can be accomplished by simply omitting a meal or two. So, no dinner that night, and no breakfast the next morning. At least a twelve hour fast before the new food. Unlimited water.

·
Registered
372 Posts
TLW, I would just give it a try. Bobby was probably not the norm. He doesn’t have a super sensitive gut by any means but he definitely does better on some foods more than others. I personally think, dogs, like people, do well on different diets. What one dog does well on may not work for another dog. My first dog, a mixed breed had a gut of iron. In the 14 years that we had him, I think he had diarrhea once. He could eat anything. Our last dog, Moose the Great Dane, had to be on a super strict limited diet as he had terrible gut issues. Bobby has a pretty good gut but a touch of sensitivity. I liked the idea of rotating foods so he’s been exposed to several different kinds of dog food along with various types of cooked meats and dehydrated raw....fairly varied and he has always done fairly well. I thought for sure he would do well on the Orijen and when we started it, transitioning slowly, he was doing fine but as we increased it the poop changed. I dialed back and things were better and we tried increasing it again. Nope...full blown diarrhea. I wanted him to do well on it as it looks like such a good food and he seemed to love it. I think it really was just too rich and honestly, I think Bobby’s gut likes healthy grains. I started him on Canidae All Life Stages as it had excellent reviews, after the hamburger and rice routine, and it was magic for his gut. Best poops he’s ever had! LOL!! So I’ve been rotating between the different grain inclusive Canidae formulas and I think I will stick with it for now as he is thriving on it and his gut seems very happy with it. All this to say, do what works best for your dog. If you decide to try the Origen I hope it works great and your puppers will love it! 😊

1 - 7 of 7 Posts