Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to long ago I blogged about a similarity with kids and dogs. I am providing the link below but you don't need to read it to get the gist of this post. My advice was, don't do anything once that you don't want to have to do every time.

What I Learned From My Dogs Today – I’m Not Saying Your Child Looks Like a Dog… | 2spoos (2 Standard Poodles)

Well, I didn't listen to myself. But in fairness, it was the vet who started my current problem. Sherlock is very skinny. The vet started to be concerned about it when he turned a year old and didn't start to fill out. When he is shaved down, he looks like I abuse him by not feeding him. She has a lot of theories about what the problem is and we have been going through the fixes with the least invasive first. Here is a skinny boy picture.

[/url][/IMG]

I managed to get a few pound on him by supplementing his meals with a high calorie wet food. But lately, he has been throwing up bile in the morning because he isn't hungry in the evening and has a very empty stomach in the morning.

The vet suggested I put a bowl of food in the bedroom for him to munch on at night after I close the bedroom door. This worked great. Too great. Both my dogs free feed. When I put the bowl out up stairs, both dogs would munch out of it. I have been doing this for two weeks and Sherlock has not thrown up bile once. He grabs a bite here and there and eats some when he first wakes up while I get dressed to walk them.

But now, neither dog will eat out of the bowl downstairs. During their usual feeding times they run upstairs to eat. If I close the bedroom door, Shasta stands and barks at it until I open it for her to eat. The bowl downstairs stays untouched. I don't mind it so much except for carrying the food up the stairs and now having a stray piece of food on the floor for me to step on when I get up to use the ladies in the middle of the night.

Does anyone have an idea why the dogs prefer the change? Is it because it is new? Is it because it is in a smaller more remote room? Is it because they think I need to lose weight and walking up and down the stairs more is good for me?

Regardless of why - I will now be doing it from her on out. Ugggg.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My mini is very skinny (my family has a variety of 'skeleton' themed names they call her) and has never had much of an appetite. She often wakes up in the morning and vomits because she has an empty stomach.

My dog free feeds also. She has had a bowl in the bedroom for months now and often wakes up in the night to eat (she's not crated). But the bowl in the bedroom is a different texture than the one in the kitchen (bedroom is silicone, kitchen is stainless), and she prefers the bedroom bowl. She also has two stainless water dishes and she prefers the one one in the bathroom (shallow bowl) to the one in the kitchen (deep bowl). I don't know how dogs form their preferences -- so strange -- but there are definite preferences!

I have found that mixing kibble with some high-value meats and vegetables and letting the flavors mingle for an hour or two increases the chances that she will clean her plate. I also add a little bit of organic, unrefined coconut oil to her food once a day and this helps with it being appetizing and also gives her good calories to help put/keep weight on.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
They sleep in the room you feed them correct? I'm wondering if they prefer eating there due to the fact it feels more secure. Like it is their den their personal area. I know mine preferred to eat in their crate when I feed them there. They eventually got used to eating other places.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My two have always had funny water bowl preferences. Shasta's order is toilet, outdoor fountain, upstairs water bowl, downstairs water bowl. Sherlock's is outdoor fountain, downstairs bowl, toilet bowl, upstairs bowl.

My dearly departed spoo, Shandy, wouldn't drink out of anything but the toilet. It drove me crazy. I kept the lids and doors closed because I thought it was awful. But she lived for me to forget and lap it up. The person who was training them told me to get over it. I still cringe but make sure the cleaning chemicals are rinsed out (lots of post cleaning flushes - good thing my area doesn't have a water shortage)

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They sleep in the room you feed them correct? I'm wondering if they prefer eating there due to the fact it feels more secure. Like it is their den their personal area. I know mine preferred to eat in their crate when I feed them there. They eventually got used to eating other places.

I think you are right. The bowls downstairs are in a pretty open place. Maybe I could try moving the downstairs bowl into a low traffic area.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Could be revenge for that cool whip container game you make them play! They invented a new game for you!
Or they just like breakfast in bed, like at the spa!
But seriously, my spoos love routine, but they also are fascinated when there's a new variation in routine. So it may be a little exciting for them, like finding a new rabbit hole-'there's food here too!'

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could be revenge for that cool whip container game you make them play! They invented a new game for you!

Or they just like breakfast in bed, like a spa

The revenge for me playing the tub game is never being able to enjoy a piece of pumpkin pie without being stared down.

And I'm waiting till I find a piece of kibble in the bed. Both like to grab a mouth full and take a stroll. It is bad enough I have to sleep with toys, chewys, and dirty socks.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Oh! I just read your article, blog, thing. LOL It's hilarious, and so true. Well done, The Opera Poodle!

Reactions: The Opera Poodle

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I TOTALLY get it. Lou and Apollo were THE WORST picky eaters ever, I tried so many different brands, different types of "toppings" and then found out less is more, for these 2.

And THEY DO EAT IN MY BEDROOM, it might sound gross, but oh well... At least they are eating well :p

What I do now is:

1 spoon of melted coconut oil (it helps flavor stick to the kibble)

+ Only 1 VERY SMALL amount of
1 type of topping / addition to kibble like: different types of shredded cheese or cooked unseasoned ground beef or chicken or crumbled stinky soft-dog-treat dust (like pet botanics soft training treats, or bill jac's liver treats, etc..)

I only put 1 spoon of melted-coconut oil on their food and then top it with these tiny treats crumbled up in like a "smelly dust" over the food. The dog-treat dust gets stuck to the coconut oil sticking to the kibbles!! Which makes it more appealing because of the strong BACON smell.

I vary the topping and they don't get bored. They do eat in my bedroom, I tried and tried but they won't eat anywhere else, they just won't eat, unless I'm in the bedroom on my iPhone or watching tv while they finish their meal... Don't ask me why. But at least they eat well now, every day. And especially Lou, she was very thin, now her ribs don't freak me out anymore, she has a healthy layer of fat covering the ribs, finally!

Wishing you the best with this! It was very frustrating being worried all the time about my babies not eating, so I hope everything works out real well for you !! and I hope my 2 continue to eat well too!!

Ps. I just took that picture of Apollo laying down with the bowls in the background, I used 2 "air mattresses" flattened out as a "plastic rug?" So no food or water would touch the new carpet!! LOL I clean the plastic surface when they're done but the 2are very delicate eaters so there's no mess. But the plastic is there to protect the new carpet just in case, of a spill.

ImageUploadedByPG Free1422769501.655753.jpg

ImageUploadedByPG Free1422769853.370781.jpg

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I TOTALLY get it. Lou and Apollo were THE WORST picky eaters ever, I tried so many different brands, different types of "toppings" and then found out less is more, for these 2.

And THEY DO EAT IN MY BEDROOM, it might sound gross, but oh well... At least they are eating well :p

What I do now is:

1 spoon of melted coconut oil (it helps flavor stick to the kibble)

+ Only 1 VERY SMALL amount of
1 type of topping / addition to kibble like: different types of shredded cheese or cooked unseasoned ground beef or chicken or crumbled stinky soft-dog-treat dust (like pet botanics soft training treats, or bill jac's liver treats, etc..)

I only put 1 spoon of melted-coconut oil on their food and then top it with these tiny treats crumbled up in like a "smelly dust" over the food. The dog-treat dust gets stuck to the coconut oil sticking to the kibbles!! Which makes it more appealing because of the strong BACON smell.

I vary the topping and they don't get bored. They do eat in my bedroom, I tried and tried but they won't eat anywhere else, they just won't eat, unless I'm in the bedroom on my iPhone or watching tv while they finish their meal... Don't ask me why. But at least they eat well now, every day. And especially Lou, she was very thin, now her ribs don't freak me out anymore, she has a healthy layer of fat covering the ribs, finally!

Wishing you the best with this! It was very frustrating being worried all the time about my babies not eating, so I hope everything works out real well for you !! and I hope my 2 continue to eat well too!!

Ps. I just took that picture of Apollo laying down with the bowls in the background, I used 2 "air mattresses" flattened out as a "plastic rug?" So no food or water would touch the new carpet!! LOL I clean the plastic surface when they're done but the 2are very delicate eaters so there's no mess. But the plastic is there to protect the new carpet just in case, of a spill.

View attachment 224930

View attachment 224946
Lol - my blog was all about that coconut oil. It would be better them eating it off their food than off my fingers every night. Right now I sprinkle a probiotic on top of his food. I am really sensitive about his weight because my second spoo, Shandy died of bloat at the age of two and I was told her low weight could have been a factor. I was following all the "rules" for bloat, immediately knew what it was, had her at the emergency room in under 20 minutes, and still lost her. It was 11:00 at night and all she did was jump off the bed. If I thought her being heavier would have prevented it, I would have force fed her lard. Man, I miss that silly girl!

It is lovely how much you do for Lou and Apollo. They look like such loves who deserve the great care you give them. I always enjoy pictures of them. They always look so content and happy.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss dear. I couldn't open the link you posted, so I didn't know you had mentioned coconut oil... It's also late, I can't sleep, but I guess my brain is already sleeping... ? maybe I'm kinda like on auto-pilot right now. I hope I didn't say anything that upset you ...

I should prolly stop jabbering if I'm so tired that I'm not able to be coherent ... :p It's just that I can't sleep and really enjoy talking to you all :) I honestly (at this moment) don't even remember what this specific thread is about... I've been reading too many threads and jabbering this evening ... I'm sleepy.... :p

Well... I wish you the best with anything & everything ok? I really do. :) Regardless of what this thread was actually about . Big hugs to u .

Nite nite :) ??????

Zzzzzzzzzzzz

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm so sorry for your loss dear. I couldn't open the link you posted, so I didn't know you had mentioned coconut oil... It's also late, I can't sleep, but I guess my brain is already sleeping... ? :p maybe I'm kinda like on auto-pilot right now. I hope I didn't say anything that upset you ...

I should prolly stop jabbering if I'm so tired that I'm not able to be coherent ... :p It's just that I can't sleep and really enjoy talking to you all :) I honestly (at this moment) don't even remember what this specific thread is about... I've been reading too many threads and jabbering this evening ... I'm sleepy.... :p

Well... I wish you the best with anything & everything ok? I really do. :) Regardless of what this thread was actually about . Big hugs to u .

Nite nite :) ??????

Zzzzzzzzzzzz
Oh no. You didn't say anything at all that upset me. I like when I am reminded of my girl Shandy. Yes, it was sad. But I don't want to lose the lesson of protecting my current babies from bloat.

In fact, I'm the one who should say sorry for putting such a bummer in the thread line. The joy we get from these fur-balls is amazing. That is why all my blog posts are humorous. Poodles are to be smiled at and celebrated!!!!

Hope you get some good sleep.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Oh no. You didn't say anything at all that upset me. I like when I am reminded of my girl Shandy. Yes, it was sad. But I don't want to lose the lesson of protecting my current babies from bloat.

In fact, I'm the one who should say sorry for putting such a bummer in the thread line. The joy we get from these fur-balls is amazing. That is why all my blog posts are humorous. Poodles are to be smiled at and celebrated!!!!

Hope you get some good sleep.

I guess I won't get any LOL I'M STILL HERE :D I'm glad to know I didn't upset you, better to go to bed knowing that :)

Now I want to read your blog ... :D :p Could you post the link again? Or the name of it so I can google to find it?

Is it a really long blog, if yes I prolly will see the sun rise tonight !! Hehehe

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very short. It is at 2spoos.com and is called "what I learned from my dogs today - I'm not saying your child is ugly." The title is as long as the post.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought I was being cleaver tonight by moving the downstairs dish to an out of the traffic area thinking they were eating upstairs because it was "cozier." And it worked great - sort of. They went to the corner in the dinning room where I put the food and water and they both ate a good share. But about an hour later, they started to play and got into a game of chase, and yup, spilled both bowls because they were going to fast to make the corner. Perhaps I will just get out the gold rimmed china and feed them at the formal dinning table. It seems to be going in that direction.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts