Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to attend some dog shows with my family to meet some breeders, and "get to know" some poodles. What is the best way to be informed of local events? I have this website link:
Home Page, InfoDog -  The Dog Fancier's Complete Resource for information  AKC Dog Show Events, and Dog Products and Services
I don't know if I don't know how to navigate it correctly, or if the info is just very limited. I need to know things like admission price, directions, parking, etc. Do I join a local poodle club even though I do not yet own a poodle?
Any help for we poodle enthusiasts that do not show/breed dogs?
Thanks!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Which area do you live in? Generally shows are free to enter, only time I've noticed admission or parking fees are mostly at the CA shows I've gone to. The best bet is to go the superindendants's website who is hosting the show, the two I use for any shows in my area are onofrio Jack Onofrio Dog Shows, LLC or Bradshaw Jack Bradshaw - Dog Show Superintendents they will have the premium posted on their sites showing you the run down on fees for the show, directions etc. Hope that helps. :)

You can join a club if you want to, in the afghan hound local club that I'm a member of their in quite a few pet owners who are part of it besides just the breeders/exhibitors. The members should also be able to help you in locating local breeders also...

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Check this site out:

InfoDog AKC Dog Show Information - Search by State

Most shows don't charge admission (except for the BIG shows, like Westminster or the AKC/Eukanuba show), you can just show up and walk around, check it all out. Look for a Poodle club holding a specialty show (label "S" on that website) if you want to see poodles only. An all breed show (AB) will have all breeds, including poodles most likely.

If you want to talk to a owner or handler, ask if they have time (they might be preparing to enter the ring, or grooming their dog) or ask for a business card so yuu can talk another time. You'll see the most beautiful poodles at a show!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Skye, you live in Pittsburgh right?

if so theres a show this weekend in Waynesburg Pa, and then another the weekend of the 4th is in North Moorland Park, close to New Kensington and Greensburg.
Terry Farley was telling me about these shows, but I'm not able to attend either one because of scheduled training I have to take for work v.v;

if you email Terry I'm sure he'd be happy to give you some info about the shows :D

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Will the superintendent also have a show schedule? Especially for All Breed shows, I always want to make sure I can time it so I can see the breeds I'm interested in (like the poodles, of course!). That's hard to guess especially if the show runs for a couple of days. The only show I've been to only had schedules available at the event from what I could tell.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, everyone! Keith, I did email Terry, and he did get back to me with some info. I also emailed the superintendent, who told me how to look up the schedule. Whew! That site is not very user-friendly when ya don't know what you're looking for!

So, I want to see the mini poodles, but there are 3 that will be on at 10:00 A.M. That is a bit early for my young family to get up and out! (LOL) So, I think we will get there around noon and catch the 12 standard poodles that will be on at 12:45.

So, will the minis be "hanging around" somewhere if they are not in the ring? I'm really hoping to meet some breeders! It will be a fun thing for my family to see all of the dogs there, though, no matter what!

·
Registered
681 Posts
I know our breeder, if she doesn't win her group, she doesn't stick around. We had to arrange prior to the show to meet up with her. I knew not to bug her beforehand, but afterwards, she was more than willing to chat with us and get to know us and us to get to know her dogs. It was very nice. If you have a breeder in mind, you might want to check to see if they are attending the show. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know our breeder, if she doesn't win her group, she doesn't stick around. We had to arrange prior to the show to meet up with her. I knew not to bug her beforehand, but afterwards, she was more than willing to chat with us and get to know us and us to get to know her dogs. It was very nice. If you have a breeder in mind, you might want to check to see if they are attending the show. Good luck!
Thanks for this. If I can get my family on board to be up and at 'em, we'll go early. The purpose is to meet breeders, since I am having some trouble finding them in our area for minis. Too bad I don't want a standard! Farley's D has standards and havanese, and is always so helpful!:)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Hey Skye,
I usually go first to the AKC site, under Events, then Events and Awards Search. You can enter the state/s where you want to search for shows and whether to search for current month, next 3 months, or all future events. Then once I find shows, if the entries have closed I go to the superintendent's site to find the judging program which gives the times of all the classes, as well as directions to the show and if it costs to enter. Most of the shows around here charge for parking but not admission, although some are just the reverse. Don't remember any that charged for both. If the show is still accepting entries, the AKC site will usually give you the breed count for the previous years.

Look at both or all days of the shows at the location. Minis might be shown at a later time on a different day. Also, people showing minis may have either toys or standards they also show. If so, they will be around waiting for their other classes to show.

I love, love, love going to shows!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, we made it to another dog show today, and I missed the minis AGAIN!!! We got lost, and we missed them. Ug! But, we did get to see the standards; quite impressive. Another newbie question, is there a way to find out who the winners were? Meaning, do they list the winners from shows somewhere? Just curious! There was a gorgeous white standard there that won (something! LOL). Just wondering if I could find out who it was. It's a little tough to keep two little ones entertained; I didn't really get to talk to anyone. It was a gorgeous day though, and it was outdoors, which was nice.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I was going to say InfoDog.com, too. You can not only see the winners but can see the catalogue entries, their placements and who was absent. And it's pretty fast in getting the results posted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts