Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Buck needed positivity AND treats. If Beignet worked for kibble that would be win/win. He is SO adorable.
Yes, I forgot to include treats in that statement!!!! He does receive lots of treats but we also go back and forth with love , hugs and rotate with lots of treats, some of them high value treats if he has distractions around him or if he isn't quite as focused. (y)🐩

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What a cutie! And I love his name.

(Correct me if I'm wrong, but positive reinforcement can mean play, toys, food, or praise, right? Or all of the above! It's just adding in something that reinforces a desired behaviour.)
Yes, it includes petting, playing, toys, treats, lots of praise and treats, sometimes higher value treats depending on how focused he is or if there are any distractions around him!

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Also, my new trainer, Logan Saich has been absolutely indispensable. I have had many different 'trainers' trying to work through some of his extra energy turned into sometimes aggressive behavior, but we are giving him 'jobs' to do when we see a sign of him 'guarding/protecting' things and being territorial and it has made a big difference in him.

Poodles like to THINK and be busy--at least he does. You can see him looking at me or Logan and the wheels are turning in his little head. He's always trying to get it right and sometimes he gets frustrated and barks but he keeps trying . He loves to figure things out!

I love poodles!
Here's an earlier one of when we first started !
Link: Earlier training

·
Super Moderator
5,265 Posts
I'd love to hear more about Beignet's guarding if you feel like sharing.

Peggy's had four guarding episodes that have crossed the line from "please maybe consider not taking this treasure" into "GRRRRRR MINE." And the last two made me worry it's escalating, perhaps due to her age (she's almost 11 months),

She is off-the-charts smart compared to every other dog I've trained, and I do think this makes her more challenging in some ways. We use primarily positive reinforcement techniques so I'd really love to hear more about your experience!

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd love to hear more about Beignet's guarding if you feel like sharing.

Peggy's had four guarding episodes that have crossed the line from "please maybe consider not taking this treasure" into "GRRRRRR MINE." And the last two made me worry it's escalating, perhaps due to her age (she's almost 11 months),

She is off-the-charts smart compared to every other dog I've trained, and I do think this makes her more challenging in some ways. We use primarily positive reinforcement techniques so I'd really love to hear more about your experience!
Beignet's "guarding" episodes are more about guarding territories, or areas of the house, especially when someone (my husband or almost anyone else) is walking by him, especially when they are carrying something. He tends to leap forward, barking, growling and snapping at thighs.

What we are currently doing about it is trying to use commands like "sit" , "down" or other things that he knows well to distract him from doing this and have him revert to obeying his command instead. Since his obedience commands are pretty much cemented in his behavior he tends to obey the command most of the time, but sometimes it doesn't work. It takes a lot of effort and foresight.

The other approach that my trainer recommended is using a plastic bottle with pennies in it and shaking it to snap him out of it. That also works but I dont usually have the bottle with me all the time so that is harder.

Don't know if this will help at all but it's our little challenge with Beignet . He's super smart like your baby but can be a handful too! 😜🐩

1 - 8 of 8 Posts