Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beau has started chasing behind me and nipping at my legs and ankles. I give a firm "NO! But so far that hasn't stopped it. He was biting my hands real hard but I have just about broke him of that. I let him mouth on me for a little bit and he is satisfied. He also loves to bite at my hair. My hubby says to tap him on the nose when I say no, but I don't believe in negative reinforcement. What do you all suggest? Is hubby right? HELLLLLLLLLLPPPPP!

·
Registered
17 Posts
It also helps if after you yelp if you give them a toy that is ok for the puppy to mouth, and praise him/her for chewing on the right thing. That way he/she can still chew, but learns what is appropriate and what isn't.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I don't get why people are so hesitant to correct their dogs. I can tell you that in the canine world if a puppy put his mouth on his mom or on a dog of higher status, that dog would nail him.

I absolutely NEVER allow a dog to put his mouth on me. I think this is dangerous behavior that can cut skin, rip clothing and hurt children and elders.

When my puppies try to put their mouth on me, I typically squeeze their muzzle hard and give them a very stern warning! I make it very clear that I am not kidding and they have transgressed in a big way. They get the message very quickly.

·
Registered
79 Posts
When I was younger my grandfather told me to wrap their lips under their teeth and make them bite themselves-not hard but enough that there was pressure- none of the dogs that I used this method on are head shy however it was a bit of a hassle to do, drop everying you're doing-very quickly too, and correct.
Then I read about the yelping noise, and my gosh it worked so well!
that was until my latest dog (who is the biggest bullheaded monster you'll meet) and I had to revert back to the old fashioned method, Not sure if I like doing it... I mean it gets the point across and she learned but... yelping was pain free and worked faster for all my other dogs. :S

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I use the muzzel grab also, with a firm shake and a gruff no works.

Negitive reinforcement is a very usful tool and in my opinion you can not train a dog with out it. Negitive training method dose not mean beating your dog. I had to take a newspaper to a pup today to get my point across that barking at Cici while she eats is not okay. After many positive trys he kept on until he got popped in the nose.

Also you are giving him mixed signals, by you letting him mouth on you you are telling him thats its okay to bite you whenever he wants. Its not fair to punish him for biting your ankles/feet but letting him bite your hands.

If you want to play with him use a rope toy.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can see what you all are saying. I read that mouthing was good. But now I can see the wisdom in putting it to stop. I will try the muzzle method and if I can the tongue trick.

Thanks Debby

1 - 9 of 9 Posts