Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading some articles about it, but it must be true that it causes tear stains. :eek:hwell:

Pompadour was on Royal Canin junior when we got him, he had a lot more tear stains before, this food has beet pulp.

Now his current food doesn't have beet and with some added raw meat his tear staining has reduced, he still have them but not like before. :biggrin1:

Are there another foods or additives that causes tear stains? does food coloring is related to tear stains also?

Since in my country we don't have many options on kibble, he is on proplan with some raw suppliments.

Recently I found at a pet store a food called propac, they have a puppy formula free of corn and wheat, and it has lamb meal and chicken meal as first ingredients PRO PAC ® Dog | Lamb & Rice Puppy :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Don't know about beet pulp with dogs but with horses it certainly changes the colour of the manure so I would think that any secretions would be more colourful and we all know how beets stain!!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
It comes from sugar beets. I haven't ever noticed a difference in my horses poop color but then I've never looked lol

Interesting topic.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have also heard tap water can cause tear stains, I have had Boston Terriers for years and for them I switched all their water to distilled or bottled water and they have no stains now.

·
Registered
12,466 Posts
I'm not sure about the beet pulp explanation. Some foods certainly have additives that reduce tear staining - and I know many people swear by bottled water or a little cider vinegar in the water. It seems to be more a case of changing the pH balance of the tears to make them less hospitable to the bacteria and yeasts that cause the staining, than colouring from food somehow getting into the tear ducts. It could, of course, be that beet pulp makes the tears more alkaline in some way, and thus makes them more prone to staining?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts