Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a night owl. Sherlock is not. As you can see from the picture, when I pass his bedtime, he lets me know - in this case bringing me my PJ pants. However, none of my three dogs will go get in bed without me. They will fall asleep in the living room or office depending where I am. It isn't until I go up and get in bed will they settle in for good. I have friends who's dogs are already waiting for them when they go get in bed. And some people have dogs that come get in at their own pace even if their human is already asleep. I wonder if I somehow "trained" my dogs to wait till I settle or if it is a poodle thing. (Yes, some dogs are crated for night. But his applies to those of us who don't have the will power to listen to one single night of crying outside of the puppy months when crate training is so important.)

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Another night owl here, since always lol. This helped us with the puppy housetraining since I'd keep them with me til 3a or so, put them in their condos and they'd sleep thru the few hours til DH got up.

Finally since they turned 2ish, they've settled on midnight as their preferred condo time but they will not go alone. They don't fuss or bring us jammies (love that!) but when they're told it's condo time, Neo goes flying up the stairs and zooms into his condo. Sometimes we can't catch him to take his outdoor lighted collar off.

·
Super Moderator
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another night owl here, since always lol. This helped us with the puppy housetraining since I'd keep them with me til 3a or so, put them in their condos and they'd sleep thru the few hours til DH got up.

Finally since they turned 2ish, they've settled on midnight as their preferred condo time but they will not go alone. They don't fuss or bring us jammies (love that!) but when they're told it's condo time, Neo goes flying up the stairs and zooms into his condo. Sometimes we can't catch him to take his outdoor lighted collar off.

View attachment 464749
Love the collar! Midnight sounds like a good compromise!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
My dogs sleep in their own beds at night, but they usually do not go to their beds until I take them out and then give the "bed" command for the night. They usually stay wherever I am until that time. If they do go to their beds before then, I know they are really tired, and then I just start their night routine early.

·
Registered
11,949 Posts
Sophy trained me out of late bed, and into early nights and eraly mornings - although getting older may have helped! The dogs would really like to go to bed as soon as they consider the day is over - around 8.30pm - but I usually hold out for 9.30pm at the absolute earliest... Once I agree it is bedtime they go out for a pee if necessary, Sophy dashes up and hides herself in the bedclothes, and Poppy waits on the first quarter landing for our bedtime talk and snuggle, then follows her. These days I try to get Poppy out for another pee in the early hours, as the steroids she is on can lead to slight night time incontinence. Apart from that, and if the cats are not being too riotous, we sleep peacefully till 6 or 7am.

I love that hint with the PJs!

·
Super Moderator
615 Posts
The PJs are hilarious.

Honestly, my cats have always had much stronger opinions about bedtime rituals than the dogs. My current cat has a schedule for the entire evening, and he gets disgruntled if I break from it.
  1. Arrive home from work and feed cat. (Six-ish)
  2. Do something that is entertaining for cat to watch while dinner is digesting. (6:30 to 7:30)
  3. Refill automatic feeder under appropriate feline supervision (seven-ish)
  4. Play with cat. (Anywhere between 7 and 8:30 is ok for this)
  5. Settle down to read in bed (8:00) Reading on couch is ok as long as it ends by 8:45.
  6. Human must be physically in bed at 9 pm. Further reading as acceptable as long as it does not interfere with cat falling asleep on bed.
Pogo, in contrast, doesn't really care. We take him out for a potty break around 8:30 or so. He may come hang out afterwards. He may go up to bed. He may go nap in the guest bedroom. He gets called to bed when we go to bed, but he doesn't really care when it happens.

·
Super Moderator
2,786 Posts
Nice stories, and I love the bedtime photos by Opera Poodle and Rose!

Mine aren't particularly interesting, only that nighttime is playtime in the bed for the first 5 or 10 minutes as they run around and vie for tummy rubs. My bed is pushed up against the windows, and they settle down on their blanket on the window sills and stare out at the busy city lights and traffic before falling asleep.

·
Super Moderator
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The PJs are hilarious.

Honestly, my cats have always had much stronger opinions about bedtime rituals than the dogs. My current cat has a schedule for the entire evening, and he gets disgruntled if I break from it.
  1. Arrive home from work and feed cat. (Six-ish)
  2. Do something that is entertaining for cat to watch while dinner is digesting. (6:30 to 7:30)
  3. Refill automatic feeder under appropriate feline supervision (seven-ish)
  4. Play with cat. (Anywhere between 7 and 8:30 is ok for this)
  5. Settle down to read in bed (8:00) Reading on couch is ok as long as it ends by 8:45.
  6. Human must be physically in bed at 9 pm. Further reading as acceptable as long as it does not interfere with cat falling asleep on bed.
Pogo, in contrast, doesn't really care. We take him out for a potty break around 8:30 or so. He may come hang out afterwards. He may go up to bed. He may go nap in the guest bedroom. He gets called to bed when we go to bed, but he doesn't really care when it happens.
Can I come live with you as a cat?

·
Super Moderator
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice stories, and I love the bedtime photos by Opera Poodle and Rose!

Mine aren't particularly interesting, only that nighttime is playtime in the bed for the first 5 or 10 minutes as they run around and vie for tummy rubs. My bed is pushed up against the windows, and they settle down on their blanket on the window sills and stare out at the busy city lights and traffic before falling asleep.
We too have sumo wrestling matches when first in bed. I always lose with a paw to the head or a hip to my shoulder. And I'm just the referee.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Jessie loves her bedtime ritual. My husband and I usually watch an hour or so of TV together right before bed and are covered in 2 cats and a poodle. They all have their specific places and ways to sit on us, and those are not to be distrubed under any circumstances! (We get some really whiny animals on nights when we don't watch TV, it's funny how much they'll pout). When the TV goes off Jessie whips up her head, when the lamp next to me goes off she flies off the couch and spins in circles. She charges over to the back door to go out for a pee, then gallops back into the house playfully chased by Cleo cat (another daily routine) and eagerly waits by the open door to her crate. I think she likes to make sure she got the routine right before assuming it's bedtime. When I praise her and say bedtime, only then she happily trots in and settles down to sleep.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I'm realizing our present bedtime routine is booooring! Will need to work to spice it up a bit. ?

My husband goes to sleep before me, while Peggy and I watch TV in the living room for an hour or two. After a short potty stroll, Peggy waits on her mat while I refresh her water bowl. Once done, I say "In!" and she races into her pen. Then I say "In!" again and it's another dramatic scramble, this time into her crate, where she curls up at the verrrry back to wait for a few treats. I cover the crate and—after the soft crunching of her bedtime snack—typically don't hear a peep from her until I say "Good morning!" about 10 hours later. Even then, she sometimes doesn't stir until she hears the clatter of the crate door opening.

I pray this never changes but expect that it will.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I am an early bird (or I used to be), my poodle is a night owl. At about 10:30, I take her for her evening bathroom break. She then comes inside, devours food from her bowl that she's ignored all day, has a big drink, and decides it's play time. She romps and wants to chew and chase a ball, and play toys, and growl and pounce until - finally, I coax her into settling on the bed. Once it took until 1 am, and I told her if she tried that again, she would be a crated dog! Usually it's just an hour of wind down.

We settle on the bed, and she gets a toy to sleep with, and she contentedly chews herself to sleep, while I lie in some odd sideways position, because she always takes up more than her fair share. She's happy to share space, but I have no desire to have a 50 lb poodle sleep on top of me, so I scuttle out from under her.

In the morning- she's usually up when I get up. Occasionally if I get up early, she won't even bother to get out of bed until I've had my first cup of coffee and used the human bathroom - I occasionally even have a bath before she deigns to rise from the bed!

·
Super Moderator
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am an early bird (or I used to be), my poodle is a night owl. At about 10:30, I take her for her evening bathroom break. She then comes inside, devours food from her bowl that she's ignored all day, has a big drink, and decides it's play time. She romps and wants to chew and chase a ball, and play toys, and growl and pounce until - finally, I coax her into settling on the bed. Once it took until 1 am, and I told her if she tried that again, she would be a crated dog! Usually it's just an hour of wind down.
They really are like three year old human toddlers with the delaying bedtime thing. Shasta always checks all the bowls in the house for water. If she finds one near empty, she acts like she is dying of thirst. Her water bowl journey at night takes her to three different stories of the house. We both know what she is up too but I play along.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I admire you folks who have dogs sleeping in crates. I woke up this morning balled up at the head of the bed as it was the only space after my three monsters belly flop and stretch out.
Hahaha that's me! How do I always get pushed up so I wake up with a scrunched neck. Our dogs just snuggle in the living room at their own bed time and then follow me to bed at mine. I wish our puppy could last a bit longer for her first potty though--every morning she needs to go at 4:00 a.m. and I'd love another hour and a half to sleep before taking her out

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
I, too, am a night owl. I use a ritual with Asta. Asta nudges me to take my night meds. Go into my room and does whatever I say, as long as the highest value treat is the reward. For Asta, the high value treat is a peppermint. Then it is out for potty and home for a cookie.

So its: nudge, peppermint, outside, cookie.

This ritual works at any time, although he will only nudge at specific times - for me about 1 in the morning.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I admire you folks who have dogs sleeping in crates. I woke up this morning balled up at the head of the bed as it was the only space after my three monsters belly flop and stretch out.
LOL. What you don't know is I spend the entire night tortured by a sweet but unrepentant 8lb cat. She sleeps where my legs are supposed to go and herds me around the bed as she pleases. When my husband is out of town I often wake up horizontal across the top of the bed.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts