Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been ransacking the net for an orthopedic bed. Ive seen so many options I'm just stuck. One of my spoo's Belle has been having more and more trouble getting up in the morning. Her current bed has lasted for several years but the cushion is not great. She weighs about 55 pounds and likes to stretch out. I've seen some measuring 47" x 29" but I'm not sure that will be big enough. What do you folks recommend? What brand and size are you using?
Poor Belle usually gets up a couple times a night just going back and forth between the floor and her bed. I know she's uncomfortable and just trying to settle down. So the orthopedic or memory foam seems a good choice
Thanks

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Our senior St. Bernard had a foam crib mattress for a bed. We covered it in plastic, taped it down, then put crib sheets on it. She found it very comfortable, and it was easy to clean. A single foam mattress might make a bed two spoos could sleep on together, and, being less smelly than a Saint, you might get away with a mattress protector rather than plastic. My spoo currently has no bed, and I am eyeing a crib mattress for her too, as the beds in pet stores seem small for her sprawling-ness.

A crib mattress is 52x27", a single mattress is 75x 39"

·
Registered
412 Posts
I had a big orthopedic bed for our poodles but the little ones would NOT quit chewing it! Finally threw it away and got dog hammocks, which they love. And those giant Costco dog cushions

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Her sprawling-ness. Haha
I'm looking at crib mattresses now.
Hammocks, hmm
I'll check that out
Orthopedic's can get pricey too
Thanks

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Orvis has the kid of beds you are looking for, but they are very pricey. I have their normal beds and they wear well and wash well.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Have you looked into heated pads for dogs? If you have one about half size of the bed she can self regulate. I have an older model which is more of a throw and has the option of ac or dc plug in for car travel. This particular company has several types of beds or pads.

Screenshot (55).jpg

·
Registered
529 Posts
Personally I wouldn't do a hammock bed alone. Consider sleeping on one yourself- looks very uncomfortable and cold to me. Now if I was a young dog in a hot place, that would be a different story. For an older dog who is getting the creaky aches and pains of old bones I would get a nice structured bed- an orthopedic bed- that is high enough for easy on/off. I think the crib mattress sounds like a great idea. I would have it against a wall or corner and add bolster pillows along two sides.

Have you tried taking your dog to a pet supply store and doing bed tests? Maybe s/he will pick her own! I've observed that my dogs usually prefer having some kind of a head rest (edge, bolster, pillow) vs a flat bed.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Our newest bed is a Birdsong Rüya Triple-Layer Orthopedic Foam Dog Bed. This is a super comfortable orthopedic foam, and my dogs like having their head up on a bolster. My only mistake was ordering extra large. Cammie is a small spoo (35 pounds), but I think the large would be fine for almost any spoo.

Two pictures of the same bed: The first is Cammie (who is overdue for grooming), the second is when my friend's toy poodle was visiting and she seemed to prefer the extra large bed to her own little bed. Go figure. These poodle have their own ideas!

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts