Poodle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I met my first Bedlington this weekend, and I was so intrigued by their coat. They are definitely not the dog for me, but I am looking to learn more about coat maintenance and vocab. Wikipedia describes Bedlingtons as having "lint-y" coats, which is very accurate imo, whereas the poodles I met have much denser, curlier, woolier coats. However, their coats are described very similarly, e.g. being "harsh" or "hard". I don't think they feel similar at all, and i feel the words "harsh" and "hard" are extremely inaccurate.

My questions:

• What differences are there in maintaining a pet Bedlington coat vs. a pet poodle coat?
  • There's some variation in poodle coats across lines; does it ever get as soft and light (like, sparse/poofy) as the Bedlington coat?
  • What do things like "harsh" or "hard" or "crisp" mean when describing dog hair?
  • What is the fundamental difference between the Bedlington and poodle coats? Is it just density and straightness?
Thanks!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I used to have a Bedlington and the coat feels completely different. The beddy has a finer, softer (linty) coat with looser curls. not much can be done with the beddy coat in terms of styles, like the poodle with the different trims, as it starts to fall with length. the beddy coat is easier to maintain, it still matts but not as easily.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts