Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Renn will turn 20 months old. I think he brain tuned in. He is becoming such a good boy and is getting more and more freedom in the house because of it. I am not as worried about him flying thru the rooms and knocking my husband over, lol. Well he isn't perfect but he will now walk most of the time with a few hops. I am taking him out more in the yard to play, ball is his favorite toy. There are times when he wouldn't bring it back or would run way with it but we now have two balls and when he brings one back I throw the other. (he has to drop the 1st one first) He has even started to come and let me grab his collar then go off again with his ball. This is all good progress to me. Taking it slow and easy. He also doesn't need his pinch collar anymore. I do put it on when in the street though but he doesn't pull at all and when he sees people and another dog he sits at my side or in front of me. He still has to watch but he does not get overly jumpy anymore when I turn to walk away he just follows. We sit in driveway and just watch at times and he is feeling more and more comfortable. We also do the Susan Garrett its your choice, and hot zone. Still working on that but he will now stand or sit and wait for something yummy to appear.We also play tug but he isn't much of a tugger but he is getting more into it. I'm getting nothing done in my house LOL. Plus we have had health issues going on in the house, He is my dog and really wants no one else. My husband walked by yesterday called him over to pet him and Renn got a bit overly excited and kept running back to me and sitting at my side. I told him it was ok and to go say hello, eventually he did he sat for a pet from my husband. I have also started my daughter to work or just play with him a little while I am out, once I come in he will run to me and sit at my side. We are getting there.

·
Premium Member
23,179 Posts
Hooray for Renn and you! I found that the real maturity for Lily came when she was about to turn 3 and that this year as Javelin turned 4 his head seemed a lot more collected. I think you will also find more leaps forward will come for another 2 years or so, but it is certainly a relief when you see it happening, isn't it?

Reactions: Mufar42

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it really feels good when you see something click on, lol I've had so much going on between my husband and my daughters health wise the last few months that this really was something I needed. Today I got brave and walk around the neighborhood some. All on lose lead, I beat hm sniff around some and whenever i stood still he was back to my side. Of course we were lucky there were no distractions and I need to get walking again.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Good for you Mufar. Asta really is a velcro dog with me. Likes my husband but to be near me is way better. As Catherine said I really noticed a difference in him when he was nearing the end of his second year. He became a lot more focused and has become much easier to train. Sounds like you and Renn are really coming along. He will just get better with time. Keep up your training, for us it never stops. We do a little bit everyday some new stuff, reinforcing the old stuff. I still am amazed by my wonderful dog. Bet Renn will be just as amazing for you.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I've noticed Gilligan started acting like he had some sense around 15 or 16 months. He's 21 months and sometimes amazes me how much he understands, and how he became well behaved.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Wow MF! Frosty is already almost 3?????? Time sure goes fast. Happy early birthday.

Murfar! That's such a joy when you see they're becoming civilized, isn't it? I mean...what a relief. I remember those days, especially with the bigger dogs...more noticeable I think than with the toys. But it sure does show what a good job you've been doing and how you two connect so well that he's getting onto it. Way to go! Yep, you'll notice more changes and as I recall with my Dobe, GSDs and other larger ones, around 3 yrs old wrong things settled into the lifestyle. He sounds though like he's turning into a real gentleman. :angel:

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HaHa lol He sounds though like he's turning into a real gentleman. I wouldn't go that far but we have improved greatly. Still a long way to go. He still leaps in the air at times but not so often anymore. He has learned that sitting gets him more attention. He is so velcro. No one can mess with him if I am here he just runs bak to me and sits. I have to release him and tell him to go say hello.

·
Premium Member
9,694 Posts
The “becoming” was a long road for Buck and me. Celebrate all your successes, even if they seem small in comparison to some of the superstars on PF. It keeps you going, because as Asta noted you have to incorporate obedience into your daily routine. Your patience and persistence will be rewarded. I vote for sooner than my Peter Pan Poodle. Rent seems on track for that:)

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Congratulations, all the hard work and training you have done are starting to pay off. It's wonderful that you can see Renn maturing and starting to settle down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts