Poodle Forum banner
201 - 220 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
Off topic, but wondering if the tolerance for yoghurt (what about cheese?) When she seems to react to everything else would allow future hypoallergenic formulas to be made with whey protein as a novel source.

For now- glad she has something that mostly works, even if it is feathers!

I wonder if she could handle hamster yoghurt drops sometime in the far future when you are feeling adventurous.
That’s a good idea too ! If she doesn’t react to yogurt, I could then buy good quality yogurt treats for rodents.

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
Dechi, I kept a list of all ingredients of all the foods I tried as well as some of the treats. That’s how I was able to narrow it down to legumes and fish. I use Fresh pet as treats, they have two very similar versions, one has peas (legume) and one without. One makes her sick (legumes) and one doesn’t. That was a very nice confirmation of what I saw on my charts.

Reactions: kontiki and Dechi

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
Dechi, I kept a list of all ingredients of all the foods I tried as well as some of the treats. That’s how I was able to narrow it down to legumes and fish. I use Fresh pet as treats, they have two very similar versions, one has peas (legume) and one without. One makes her sick (legumes) and one doesn’t. That was a very nice confirmation of what I saw on my charts.
Yes, I think it’s key. I didn’t have a starting point before but now that I do, I’ve started doing it (thanks PTP).

·
Super Moderator
10,311 Posts
Yes, I think it’s key. I didn’t have a starting point before but now that I do, I’ve started doing it (thanks PTP).
You’re welcome. :) It’s not especially helpful until you find something they don’t react to. Then you can start crossing possible culprits off the list. Until then it’s just overwhelming.

So thank goodness for that feather food!

And if yogurt ends up being okay, a little bit of kefir could be beneficial, as well. I’ve started adding it to my own smoothies. Love it.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
And if yogurt ends up being okay, a little bit of kefir could be beneficial, as well. I’ve started adding it to my own smoothies. Love it.
My Spoo absolutely loves Kefir ! I drink only the plain, and then rinse out my glass with a bit of water since it sticks to the glass, and pour it in his dish. He practically races to drink it and lick the bowl.

I'm using it as a way to get him to drink more water too as he doesn't drink much.

Thinking about how to make yogurt treats. Maybe I will try spooning small drops onto parchment paper on a cookie sheet, putting them on very low (150 F ?)in the oven and see what happens.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
Thinking about how to make yogurt treats. Maybe I will try spooning small drops onto parchment paper on a cookie sheet, putting them on very low (150 F ?)in the oven and see what happe
I would make cookies with his regular kibble food and use a little bit of yogurt and less water. Beckies cookies with her feather food are :

• 3 cups kibble
  • about 1 cup water
  • mix in blender
  • cook in oven at 350F for 25-35 minutes

It keeps in the fridge for many weeks.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I would make cookies with his regular kibble food and use a little bit of yogurt and less water. Beckies cookies with her feather food are :

• 3 cups kibble
  • about 1 cup water
  • mix in blender

If you 'cook' it at a much lower temperature for longer it will retain more of the enzymes and nutrients.

·
Registered
Elroy: Standard Poodle
1,298 Posts

• 3 cups kibble
  • about 1 cup water
  • mix in blender

I guess I'm missing something here. Just kibble and water? Why make them? Just give him kibble. What's the benefit here, moist kibble?

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
I guess I'm missing something here. Just kibble and water? Why make them? Just give him kibble. What's the benefit here, moist kibble?
Yeah, you’d have to read the thread to understand. And it’s getting pretty long. The benefit is not moist kibble. Beckie has food intolerances and can’t eat anything other than her kibble or she has reactions. It gets pretty boring and she likes having treats every day. If I give her a piece of kibble, it’s boring, she won’t take it. But she goes nuts for these cookies ! That’s all she can eat, besides her kibble and apples, carrots and potatoes as treats also.

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
Dechi here’s an idea that may or may not work for you. Have you considered grinding some kibble and blend it with a small amount of mashed potato or sweet potion carrot to make a thick paste that you can break off small pieces as a treat? It would avoid baking and smelling up the house?

Another idea, bake your recipe in a toaster outside?

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 ·
Dechi here’s an idea that may or may not work for you. Have you considered grinding some kibble and blend it with a small amount of mashed potato or sweet potion carrot to make a thick paste that you can break off small pieces as a treat? It would avoid baking and smelling up the house?

Another idea, bake your recipe in a toaster outside?
Oh, that’s not a bad idea to blend with mashed potatoes and no baking ! I might try that. The toaster would be hard to do because the kind I have doesn’t allow for anything but bread to cook. Also, forget about anything outside from november to april around here, snow gets in the way.

I’ll let you know when I try it. I could even give it frozen for added crunch and chewing time !

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Hmmm, how abouot softening kibble, or smushed blended kibble, in applesauce (No sugar or other ingredients). Then allowing small drops of them to simply dry, or baking on super low? That may even smell pretty good:)

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
Hmmm, how abouot softening kibble, or smushed blended kibble, in applesauce (No sugar or other ingredients). Then allowing small drops of them to simply dry, or baking on super low? That may even smell pretty good:)
Oh, yeah, I like that ! I’ll add apple sauce to my list of groceries to be delivered next time.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
Well, that’s it, we’re done ! We had our spring follow-up appointment with the dermatologist and Beckie is officially diagnosed with food allergies. Now we will only have an annual check-up every october. She is doing very well on her feather food (R/C anallergenic). She likes it and I’ve come to like it too so she is staying on it.

She hadn’t had her glands emptied in over 2 months, compared to sometimes weekly before we could manage her allergies. They were really full though so 2 months is a bit much. I figure 6 weeks would be more like it. She also hasn’t had her monthly Cytopoint injection and I will be monitoring her and give it if needed. The scratching/biting/licking has decreased a lot and is now in the normal range. It will increase when she needs her glands expressed.

What she is eating
- Royal canin anallergenic 100% as her main food

Treats :
  • apples
  • bananas
  • homemade treats with the R/C food, apples and bananas
  • Veggie dent treats from the vet (about once a week)
  • Whimzees (about once a week)
  • Sweet potatoe treats (once a month)

I’m happy we went through all this detective work. And I’m sure if Beckie could talk she would say she is happy too ! :)

·
Premium Member
4,714 Posts
Making the very best lemonade from this :)

The best news is that you have confirmation of the problem and a way to manage it!!
Happiness abounds 🌈 🦋!

Reactions: Dechi

·
Premium Member
13,503 Posts
It's been a long journey, but a successful one. Well done, and lovely to know Becky is feeling so much better.

Reactions: Dechi

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
Congratulations, there’s a special joy In knowing you have your dogs health under control with the right diet for them... the one that reduces or eliminates health issues.

Reactions: kontiki and Dechi
201 - 220 of 238 Posts