Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He is to be neutered. :musicus: I don't know exactly what he will require when he comes home. Will he be groggy all day? Will he be in pain? Should the vet give him some pain medication? What kind of questions should I ask the vet before I take him home?

Thanks Debby

·
Registered
17 Posts
When we had our mutt Zeus neutered, he acted completely normal. We didn't get pain meds, because he really didn't seem the least bit distressed when we picked him up - he was jumping around happy to see us just like always. The only think we really had to worry about is him messing with the stitches, and he only licked at them for a day or two.

I hope everything goes as well for your little fur baby!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
We have not owned very many male dogs, and have never had one neutered, but I have always heard that it is even easier on a male then on having a female spayed. I don't really know. We have had quite a few females spayed throughout the years and they all did fine, and never needed pain meds. that I can recall. I wish Beau a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I'm sure he'll be fine. Our dogs have never had a big problem with neutering. The most important thing is that he not bother the stitches.

Good luck tomorrow!

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I've seen dogs freshly neutered hopping around like there's nothing different. When my dog got spayed though, she barely wagged her tail when she came home and drooped her head, it was so sad, but she perked up after the pain meds and was fine in a couple days.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Good luck Beau!! By the time you read this reply im sure he will already be there. Riley had surgery in July, so i know what you are feeling now!
The Biggest thing is to make sure he does not lick at or bother his incision in any way (there may be sutures on the outside or there may not depending on the vet)!!! I work at a vets, and i have personally seen dogs that have had to go back to surgery so we can fix the damage they did to themselves. Not fun! You can either use an e-collar (cone) or backwards boxer shorts (if he is good with them) if he does lick at it.

You need to keep him quiet for about 5 days afterwards too. The more movement and activity, the more it will cause swelling and redness. I personally would take home pain meds. They are safe, and it was a surgery after all. There have been many studies done where animals heal faster with pain meds then without.
Some dogs dont even notice they are neutered, and others mope for awhile. He will most likely come home groggy, or at least sleep when he gets home (he will be excited when he sees you at the clinic). Keep him quiet no matter how he thinks he feels though.

Im sure your vet or someone at the clinic will go over go home instructions when you pick him up (we have a whole sheet we send home). If not then just ask here and we can help! Sorry for the ramble, but this is what i get paid to do. :) Good luck!!

·
Registered
562 Posts
When Mister was neutered he was pretty groggy the whole day and just slept and laid low till day two then he was back to bouncing and being crazy. He received a pain injection at the vets office before coming home and that was all he needed. He also had to wear a cone because when i wasnt looking or when i was at work (he is kennel trained) he would lick at his incision which is a big no no.
Good luck.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got a muzzle that fits him perfectley. I thought that might to the trick for a few minuteds at a time. It is 5:30 in the a.m. here and I am so nervous. I know it is the right thing to do, but it is hard to do. Thanks for all the well wishes.

Debby

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Cant say im so thrilled with the muzzle idea. First off, what kind of muzzle did you get? One that keeps his mouth shut, or a basket muzzle where he can pant and breathe? If it is a cloth muzzle then i would Not use it. He cant breathe properly with it on, and i know of dogs that have died from this. If it is a basket muzzle then he can still lick at his incision (granted not as well, but still cause damage). I would get a cone or boxer shorts if he bothers it. How is he doing?

·
Registered
562 Posts
A muzzle might seem like too much of a punishment to him, my dogs have never been muzzled. He might enjoy the cone more. Its not as confining as a muzzle and they can still drink water with it on.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is a basket muzzel, but I am not having to use it, he is being a good little boy. He is very sleepy. They told me at first not to feed him tonight just a little bit of water. Then they looked at his weight and said that I needed to feed him by 8:00 because they don't want his sugar to drop to low. He is 5.8 pounds today. At this rate he will be 15 pounds. He is so pretty now. He is sleeping on top of my foot.

Debby

1 - 14 of 14 Posts