Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well last night was fun. We learned a few things. Beau wanted to sleep through alot of it. Two of the owners didn't show up so there were only 3 of us. The other two were big dogs, shepard and labs. Beau looked so tiny compared to them. He didn't get sick going there or coming home. I guess the medication helped. We got a clicker to help teach our dogs. I got him some kong toys for teething. I put peanut butter in it and Beau attacked it.

Is there a place on here where you can put a signature that always comes up?

Debby

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Awe, I can't wait to start puppy classes!! Are you happy with the class you're going to? I've got myself on a waiting list for a k9 school near here that trains police dogs and search and rescue dogs etc... it's got an amazing reputation and they do all kinds of training for all breeds of dogs.
http://coldcreekshepherds.bravehost.com/... I'm so excited to explore Rogan's high level of intelligence and put all those labs and GSD to shame!! (kidding) I would love to get into obedience and maybe agility ... we'll see what kind of temperament he has and what he's best suited for first.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My hope is that Beau and I can eventually get to go to hospitals and nursing homes. My groomer has two standards and they are in obedience classes for that now. She suggested that I started beau early. When he is 6 months old I can get him into the kind of class you are talking about. We have one near us. You pay $100 for lifetime. Anytime you need more training you bring him back. I just found out about this after I had already paid for petsmart classes. But last night sure was fun. Debby

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
oh wow! $100 for a lifetime?!! that's amazing!! wow! I would totally do that if I were you!
I just checked and they've added at new puppy class for Sept 9th... Rogan will be barely 10 weeks, is this too early to start? How old is your Beau? I want to do it!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Beau is 13 weeks old. I don't think 10 weeks is too young. I may be wrong though. Perhaps someone else will know. Beau slept through alot of it. It was past his bed time. LOL I am definately going to do the other training when this one is over, if not to train Beau, then to train me.

Debby

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
10 weeks is too young, because they should have their last set of vaccinations when they are 12 weeks, and then they should be taken to dog parks and puppy school to be trained.

If they haven't had those vaccinations, then you shouldn't take them to meet other dogs or places where lots of dogs congregate (your own dogs and friends dogs are ok) just be careful

·
Registered
861 Posts
I just have to add that our breeder and our trainer both said to avoid dog parks like the plague, when they'r eyoung, b/c they'll either pick up some illness or bad behaviors.

Admittedly I am therefore having a hard time socializing our dog. I guess I should just try some regular parks on-leash.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
yea, when they are young just be very careful who you choose to socialize your puppy with, as one bad experience can screw the whole process up.
Just ask people before if their dogs are ok

1 - 8 of 8 Posts