Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And as ambiguous as ever
Beatrice is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.
And I have said ignorance is bliss, I had to open a can of worms I didn't want to.
Why??
Beatrice is due for her rabies this year, in order to a vaccine waiver I have to prove she is Ill, or find out if she is well enough for the vaccine.
Thankfully my vet understands my uncharted territory with Beatrice.
My gamble with a cistology sample didn't pay off, fatty lipoma. Not having all Beatrice's lumps tested.
Xrays showed no metastasizing, there were no clear margins on the original nasty tumor.
Blood tests were bizarre, revealing something is wrong but it maybe this, might be that.
Ultrasound revealed trouble with her gall bladder, having mucocele forming over half, blocking bile ducts.
Tired of having rare crap with my girl by the way, so another med Urisodiol.
Vet agrees she is Ill, just can't treat a dog in the same way as a person.
Does Beatrice still have the cancer she was diagnosed with 2 years ago, probably but can't prove that without taking loads of more tests.
I didn't want Bea to undergo more tests, it scares the crap out of her. I just want her to be happy and live her best life.

Not vaccinating solves some things, but also legally limits me as to where I can bring Bea and I couldn't board her, couldn't bring her to a doggy day care and legally I cannot ask my boss to bring my unvaccinated dog to work.
Silly things right, certain situations freaks Beatrice out, she used to be my calmest silliest, happiest dog. My rock as temperaments go.
Right now Beatrice is happy coming to work, I am freaking that will all have to end come August.
So onward
This sucks
No dog should have to go through this, Beatrice is badly bred and a train wreck health wise, this not fair to Bea.
Please ty hink good thoughts for my little girl.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I am so sad that you're going through this. And I agree that no dog (or guardian) deserves to go through all the testing and illness. But your story does have a silver lining - it informed me to look for a well-bred poodle. My pup is only 9 months old now, so is too young to know if he has any serious health issues. He also has a wonderful temperament (other than the typical adolescent poodle issues).

I will think positive thoughts for you and beautiful Bea.

·
Premium Member
7,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am so sad that you're going through this. And I agree that no dog (or guardian) deserves to go through all the testing and illness. But your story does have a silver lining - it informed me to look for a well-bred poodle. My pup is only 9 months old now, so is too young to know if he has any serious health issues. He also has a wonderful temperament (other than the typical adolescent poodle issues).

I will think positive thoughts for you and beautiful Bea.
Thank you, I don't anyone to have to go through what Bea and I are going through sadly I paid money for her.
I need share Beatrice's journey, hopefully others will learn from us.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
(((Hugs))) Twyla is there nothing the vet can say to get Bea a waiver for the rabies vaccine?

Reactions: ShamrockPoodle

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sending hugs to you both ❤. I think it is sweet that you can take her to work with you. I’m thinking—her chances of getting rabies or passing it on are really slim since she is with you and your dogs most of the time. It seems like there should be a way to still bring her when you want to. My daughter had adopted a very senior toy poodle and found out he had a lot of conditions the family didn’t tell her about—she actually smuggled him into work a few days when I was out of town and couldn’t watch him. Luckily he was very small and she wore a similar color to match his coat—not many people noticed. Hope the new meds help Beatrice and you can resume your normal routine!

·
Registered
705 Posts
I understand. I went through a horror with a dog myself. There are no words for the sadness. Keep your chin up. They are worth it but it's hard

·
Super Moderator
2,990 Posts
Ugh. The rabies situation is tough. I would be surprised if she doesn't have immunity lingering from her previous shots, but of course that doesn't help at all when the requirements are so strict.

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
I think you’re making the right decision, as always. I hope she can get the rabies vaccine.

·
Premium Member
4,470 Posts
Twyla, this is just such a Catch-22 situation every way you turn. I'm sure you and your vet have gone thru all the options and ramifications. The law seems to have you and your vet by the shorties every way I look.

However this goes, Bea has you and her sissie and brother to stand with her and love her.

·
Premium Member
13,395 Posts
It's a very difficult situation. I think I would opt for whatever enables Bea to be with you, at work and out and about, even if that risks shortening her life. It means so much to both of you, having her with you and doing normal things with the other dogs - I would choose quality of life every time. There is some comfort in the results - at least there is no evidence of a massive increase in the original cancer.

Poppy's bile acids have been very dodgy because of her liver failure - she takes Destolit which improves bile flow (as does the drug Bea is now taking) and seems to cope OK. She is also on a good probiotic and a tiny dose of metronidazole every few days, which between them mostly cope with what had become regular diarrhoea. I suspect SIBO, commonly associated with liver problems - yet another thing to bear in mind for Bea?

·
Premium Member
7,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
(((Hugs))) Twyla is there nothing the vet can say to get Bea a waiver for the rabies vaccine?
My vet will write out a waiver but that means according my states rabies vaccine law she can be at home or a home where the person is aware of her unvaccinated status, and it would have to be renewed yearly by my vet after loads of tests again proving her state of unwell health and you must carry a copy of this letter where ever you take your dog.
I am afraid if I just go ahead and vaccinate her, she might die, that's my fear. My other fear is if I don't I close off Beatrice's world, I am afraid she will just lay on floor and pee on herself again, maybe her current combination will keep her in good stead, Bea gets 2 doses of CBD oil whilst I am at work.
Since I work in another state and cross state lines, the laws about vaccination get more ambiguous or clear cut depending.

Legally you don't have to vaccinate your pets but you are legally responsible for fines, bills and god forbid your dog is exposed to rabies the cost of quarantine and then what is worse the illness or the exposure of a preventable deadly disease, andI have answer to an HOA, so it complicated on so many levels, and if of course how does affect your home owner's insurance.
Titers for rabies vaccine doesn't waive the legal requirement of you pet being vaccinated against the rabies it just shortens the length in quarantine it does nothing else.
Yea I have been doing a lot of reading, but whether it a local or state law, there are only 18 states that allow medical waivers and where you can go with your unvaccinated dog is very limited.
It will two years ago yesterday ,on my birthday, that this crazy journey began.

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
3,038 Posts
Happy belated birthday, Twyla! We're so good about remembering doggy birthdays, we sometimes forget about the people.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
I'm sorry that you and Be a have this journey. So how does the vet feel about the rabies vaccine, does he feel it will be detrimental or that she could handle it. Considering she is so accustomed to being with you I think its a difficult position to be in. Me personally if my vet felt ok with it, I'd probably do the vaccine just so she can live her days as normal as possible. However if he feels it will be detrimental, its another ball game. Anyway you and Be a are in my thoughts and I hope it works out.

·
Registered
Elroy: Standard Poodle
988 Posts
Are there specific medical conditions that warrant the vaccine not be given? As you know, the vaccine is mandated to protect people. I can't imagine the liability, God forbid, of an actual incident of a dog bite if she had rabies. Very serious conciderations to be had here. I'm sorry you're in this predicament. My thoughts are with you.

·
Premium Member
4,470 Posts
The only thing I can think of is, if you go for the rabies vaccination, do the 3 year. Every medical source I read says the 1 year and the 3 year are identical except for the labeling (thank you Rabies Challenge)..
Closing off Bea's world or having to leave her at home can't be the answer.
I'm not a risk taker, but like fjm says,
I think I'd take this one.

Happy belated birthday twyla. I wish we could have been there and thrown you a big party!

·
Premium Member
4,740 Posts
Thought and prayers to you and Bea. You take such wonderful care for her. Hope she'll soon be allowed to go back to work with you.

Reactions: twyla

·
Premium Member
7,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you all for listening g to me vent a little.
3 year rabies vaccines are the norm here.
Rabies vaccine waivers are issued by your vet, it is left to your vet to decide if a waiver is warranted.
Rabies vaccines are also given to protect your pet, I know enough to know rabies vaccines are generally good for up to 7 years.
As far as the legal issue goes, too many folks are anti vaxx so there are provisos written, and in this law suit happy world your aren't covered by your insurance and if you lie or mislead well etcetera. The other bit is despite living in the burbs , there is still wild animals that potentially carry rabies out there, bats, fox and raccoons. The pups and I encounter these creatures our walks in the morning.

Part of my problem is Beatrice is sick the other part is that Beatrice has always had a reaction to vaccines, albeit mitigated for the most part by a shot of benadryl.
If Beatrice is well enough for a rabies vaccine I would have her have it, I would love there to be a low dose option like Walter Grey gets.

In the meantime I am waiting to the Urisodiol to arrive, it is being compounded due to Beatrice's size, it will be chicken flavored liquid so yippee, I swear can Bea can spit a pill out 2 feet, she hates pills.

On the upside Bea got to see one of her favorite people today, she made a Bea line for him when he came to work this morning. Happy pets all around and she was thrilled.
I am happy that Beatrice can still enjoy her days.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I don't know if you've heard of this or if it would help but... We often have titers done & have been waivered out due to the dogs having enough antibodies present (as if they had a recent vaccine). But my understanding is not all states do it that way.

If you do decide to do the vaccine (& I understand your fears for doing it. My vet told me at the point my boy was starting to have an uptick in his health & I brought him in for his rabies vaccine & the vet said... ah... no. Back then I had no idea it could kill him), I've had to use this with my Collie who as a young dog was EXTREMELY vaccine sensitive. I mean very sick puppy. Luckily I had a friend out in Arizona who is an herbalist. When she learned we had given a vaccine & the pup was having bad reaction, she ran & got me a bottle of homeopathics (Thuja) & said not to touch the little round balls but give her 3-4 in a little water. I used a glass to smash them & then sucked them up in a syringe & put them in her mouth. It stopped 8 hours of dihrea/vomiting in about 20 minutes. A couple hours later she had me dose her again & then 12 hours later. Never had another symptom. She really surprised me when it came time for her to have her rabies vaccine this year & she was completely symptom free but I was ready with the Thuja if needed. In fact, nobody gets a vaccine in my house without the Thuja at the ready.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts