Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #1
I was out walking the puppy when one of my neighbors called out to me. A bear had just walked through their yard and into the woods. I just missed it. Yikes! This neighbor thought it was a cub, but another neighbor thought it was a yearling.

Hmmm. Most of my neighbors have appropriate trash storage. I'm of the few that leaves a trash can outside, The combined waste of two dogs plus a cat tends to overpower the attraction of any discarded food, so I haven't had any wildlife try to get into it. One of my neighbors, however, has left hamburger buns scattered around his grill twice in the past week. I wonder if I want to start carrying bear spray on my walks.

Registered
I would start carrying bear spray with you. Why has one of you neighbors left hamburger buns scattered around his grill馃え? I really like bears, but I don't want a close encounter with one!

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #3
I would start carrying bear spray with you. Why has one of you neighbors left hamburger buns scattered around his grill馃え? I really like bears, but I don't want a close encounter with one!
I'm guessing the hamburger buns come from his grandkids being slobs. He's the sweetest guy, but some of his relatives are a bit flaky.

Premium Member
Yes to the bear spray. When I was having a long visit with a friend in Alaska always wore bear bells. They are awesome. She gave me some bear bells as a keepsake. The bells are said to help repel bears. My bells are beautiful, all the handwork on the necklace and wonderful sounds. Maybe the adult version of potty bells - lol

Registered
They really make bear spray? We don鈥檛 have bears here, so I鈥檝e literally never heard of bear spray. About the closest I鈥檝e come is staying in my aunt鈥檚 cabin in Canada.

Registered
Yes to the bear spray. When I was having a long visit with a friend in Alaska always wore bear bells. They are awesome. She gave me some bear bells as a keepsake. The bells are said to help repel bears. My bells are beautiful, all the handwork on the necklace and wonderful sounds. Maybe the adult version of potty bells - lol
Can you post a pic of your bear bells, I鈥檓 so curious!

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #8
They really make bear spray? We don鈥檛 have bears here, so I鈥檝e literally never heard of bear spray. About the closest I鈥檝e come is staying in my aunt鈥檚 cabin in Canada.
Yes, it's basically pepper spray, except the can is designed to spray further with longer duration. The idea is to put a cloud of fumes up between you and the bear then hit the bear the face if it motors through the fumes.

Hmm. I need to think about this. We have black bears in my area. 300 years of being hunted has left them fairly timid (although feeding them hamburger buns could change that.) I expect most will retreat, the exception being a sow with cubs. I doubt a mama bear who thinks I'm threatening her babies will back off even with pepper spray. Plus, getting pepper spray on my dog will probably cause the dog to freeze or blunder around in an unpredicted direction. That won't help matters much.
:unsure:

Registered
I have genuinely never needed to use bear spray, even in situations where I was working near bears habituated to and unafraid of humans (9+ bears who thought honking a horn meant dinner time at a dump). . I carried it sometimes, but the general consensus was you are lucky if fhe bear is down wind of you to use it (usually you only encounter bears who are upwind and didn't smell you coming). I should mention for anyone else reading this to never ever use it if the bear is upwind of you unless you like the sensation of pepper spray! Grizzlies are a bit different, but I have walked within 100 m of a grizzly sow and her cubs without them even stirring (I didn't see them lying off to the side of a path until I was almost past them).

I would keep the dogs on leash or on a long line, and potentially put bear bells on their collars/on you when you walk, and maybe carry a large hiking stick to look bigger.

Registered
Perhaps with fewer humans out and about the bears are free to roam farther afield. This is true in the urban areas for other wildlife.

Registered
Normie and I count chubby rabbits on our morning walks. I don't think either of us wants to count bears.

Our bears get picked up by wildlife control and relocated to the national park. That's fine by me.

Bluegirl, where are you located?

Registered
Normie and I count chubby rabbits on our morning walks. I don't think either of us wants to count bears.

Our bears get picked up by wildlife control and relocated to the national park. That's fine by me.

Bluegirl, where are you located?
Northern BC where the grizzlies are now protected by law and black bear are as plentiful as bunnies. And I must say, for how many bears and cougars there are, there are remarkably few predator/human conflicts. None here for years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts