Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are fortunate to have a beach nearby that allows dogs after 6pm during the summer season. It's a very wide and deep expanse of sand and needless to say, it was loaded with dogs at 6pm.

We brought Gilligan, who was at first terrified. He was actually yelping (versus whining) to be picked up. We didn't comply, but did take him away from the bulk of the dogs, which were enormous compared to him. I think we saw 3 dogs near his size.

After we walked away we took him off-leash and that's when he started to have a ball. We practiced "come" and he was running between us (about 100' apart). After a bit, he saw all the other dogs going in and out of the beach and he started running toward them, but always looking back to make sure we were there. We even took him down to the water. The waves were rolling in pretty steadily, and he seemed afraid of them, always prancing away when they got close to his little feet.

Eventually a wave got him, but only up to his chest, and my husband went in with him to get his feet week. Gilligan was no longer afraid. But now he was starting to look like a wet rat :)

I'm very pleased at the outcome, considering how it started out. We thought we'd have to leave after 10 minutes and ended up staying, and let him run around, for about an hour.

But boy was he pooped. So pooped he just laid in his bed when we got home and didn't eat dinner until 11pm when he realized he was going to bed hungry. He wolfed down his whole meal and trotted off to bed :) I think he's still tired today.

We're looking forward to bringing him back next week. I don't want to have to wash him down too often :)

·
Premium Member
9,830 Posts
What a fun outing for dogs! I’m glad Gilligan is doing so well with his recalls. Most important command of all.

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Such a fun time for Gilligan! There is something about the beach that just helps dogs overcome fears. I've had dogs terrified of water who end up playing in the waves at the shore.

It's nice you can take him to a beach. Hope he gets to have more fun trips there!

·
Premium Member
4,272 Posts
Sounds like tons of fun and Gilligan did so well. Wonderful that a beach allows this time for dogs.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Sounds like he had a blast!

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
What a fun outing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts