Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so worried! His little "berries" haven't dropped and he is going to have to have a more extensive surgery. They can't even feel the testicles. Apparently they are hiding, for crying out loud!!:tongue:

Let me tell you, Baxter is a big baby. He will start crying as soon as the vet comes in with a shot....before they even touch him. lol!:tongue: When he gets his shots he makes me carry him around all day...just whining and crying every time he gets up. It is pitiful. I think I am in for a HUGE whiner after this surgery. I told my husband not to expect me to clean the house or cook supper for the next few days because I will be on baby duty. ;)

Has anyone had an experience with this type of surgery? I hadn't even heard of the testicles hiding out until now. How much of a recovery will it be? Any advice? I guess it would be more like a spay surgery?? I am just so worried about him. (and me...lol):shot:

Oh, and one more thing. I wonder if they will put the e collar on him? I can't imagine how he will deal with that. When I put the rabies tag on his collar he flopped around like he was having seizures for a whole day before he could tolerate it. I literally thought the dog was going to lose his mind over that dang tag! The e collar will surely make him crazy.

I have called and asked the receptionist all of these questions, and she laughed and said they would discuss it with me when I bring him in. Don't they know that I am obsessing about this? lol!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
How old is Baxter?

Retained testicles are a common accurance, more so with just one but both can be. I've seen a retained castrate before and the only difference is a larger scar or two scars depending on how your vet will operate.

He should not need an E-Collar, just make sure he does not lick at the incision.

Good luck, castrates are easy peasy so don't worry he should be just fine!

·
Registered
627 Posts
We had a collie that had that problem. I learned something I didn't know. The vet that did the surgery told us when he was finished that there was only one testicle. Not knowing any better we accepted that and a few years later learned from our new vet that is very rare. The new vet did more surgery and found the retained testicle. Even with an ultrasound they had trouble finding it and the second surgery was much more extensive.

They sent us home with the collar but he kept bumping into walls and furniture. Poor guy had to wear a neoprene velcro suit to keep him from licking the incisions. We had to take it on and off each time he went outside to go potty! I had forgotten about that! That was about 10 years ago so I'm sure the ultrasounds are much more accurate now. Both times the dog did just fine with the surgery.

Don't let this story worry you. I think our case was unusual which is why the first vet never found the remaining testicle. Even the one with all the ultrasound equipment had trouble finding it which is why he had more incisions. The normal procedure was pretty basic and a quick recovery!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
My former dog Willie had one undecended testicle - it required a little more surgery but not that bad - he did fine!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. He is 6 months old tomorrow. Several of the techs and two vets have felt around trying to find the testicles, but they are hiding in there pretty good. The vet said that if they were going to drop, he would expect them to at least be in that general area by now. lol

We just got back from dropping him off at the vet. He was shaking so bad. While we were there, a huge black standard poodle came in. Oh my goodness...he was beautiful and so big compared to Baxter. I couldn't believe the difference! When I saw all the hair that guy had on him...oh my! I would never be able to brush him every day like I do Baxter. That poodle's tail was about as big as Baxter!

Anyway. The vet tech said that he will have two incisions. She said hopefully they will be able to find the testicles easily and not have to search around too much for them.:tongue: I forgot to ask any questions about the collar or even the recovery. I am sure that they will fill me in when I get there to pick him up. We have to wait until 4:00 to get him. I am a nervous wreck. I am not worried about the surgery too much. I am more worried about the recovery and the pain he will be in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts