Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do poodle owners give their dogs baths?

I own a German shepherd and a golden retriever, so I’m a member of both those forums as well. Over on the GSD forum, people say dogs should never get baths unless absolutely necessary (like rolling in something dead) and act like you’re killing your dog by bathing more than twice a year. Apparently it’ll dry out the skin and cause issues.

Well I can’t handle that because I hate touching a dog and having a nasty hand when it’s all said and done. I like my dogs to smell nice. They usually get a bath every 6 weeks or so, brushed daily. However, my vet just put my shepherd on a medicated shampoo and he needs a bath once a week. I don’t dare mention that on the shepherd forum. It made me wonder how often people on this forum bathe their poodles, because, let’s be honest, poodles need 10x more grooming than a German shepherd does. I imagine your dogs aren’t all running around with dried out skin and other issues.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
This came up on a recent thread and several members, myself included, confessed to washing their poodles daily if/when needed. I'm fairly active, so Mia is usually a mess. We hike rain or shine, and Mia is frequently muddy from the paws up to her belly, so for the sake of my floors and upholstery, she gets bathed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Poodles need to bathed and groomed regularly or their hair will painfully mat.
I have allergies so I bath8ne every other week
Bathing with shampoo is actually required because daily brushing isn’t enough between full grooms? Do you use shampoo and conditioner?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Zephyr gets a bath before being clipped, and I do face feet and tail every 2 to 2.5 weeks. He gets body clipped every 8-10 weeks.

So he gets bathed with shampoo every 2 to 2.5 weeks, but I don't use conditioner.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Dirt doesn't fall off of a poodle coat the way it falls off of other dogs. Maybe it's because their coats are longer, maybe it's because they have hair not fur, I dunno. I just know that Mia makes a mess of my comforter cover if I don't wash her first.

I use shampoo and conditioner, but many people only use shampoo. Conditioner changes the texture of the coat and affects fluffiness, although the precise protocol depends on groomer, methods, and materials.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My spoo of 14 years just recently went to doggie heaven, but I washed her every 2 weeks (with dog shampoo) and she never had any skin issues.
But, we also had a Shepard/akita and only washed her maybe twice a year. Their coats are just SO different. It's almost like apple to oranges.
Even if I would have kept my spoos coat trimmed low, by two weeks you can see and feel the dust/ fine dirt on her coat. But on my Shepard mix we never felt that. We usually washed her because she would start to smell a little. We had her for 12 years and she never had any skin issues either.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I bathe weekly at a minimum. Up twice a week depending on the weather. I use either a conditioning shampoo (e.g. Minksheen and Proline Fair Advantage) or use a shampoo and conditioner. On grooming days I will use only a shampoo though. I know many show dogs are bathed every couple days. I would guess that damage to the coat could happen if poor quality harsh shampoos are used. But people are usually using specialized shampoos for poodles. We also tend to use conditioning sprays and other coat protectants. I don't think there is any issue. I will also say my dog has perfect healthy skin. Zero dryness or itching. My dog constantly gets comments on how wonderful he smells. I find after a week he's likely to get some faint doggy odor creeping in. But before that he just smells like lovely shampoo scent.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I bathe every 2 weeks or so, but will bathe more often if Annie was dirty. Sometimes I bathe just because she is getting tangly from being in the rain/snow and I know the forced air dryer will be less work and breakage than trying to detangle her full coat with a brush. When she was a puppy, she was more inclined to get dirty, and I often bathed weekly.

If I ever own another shedding dog, I expect to do the same weekly or bi-weekly bath.

I know some shampoos are much stronger than others. The shampoo I use is pretty mild but I have another one leftover from when we had the sort of dogs who were bathed twice a year whether they needed it or not. That shampoo would be way too strong to use weekly, it would strip the coat. I tried it once on my poodle and was not a fan! However, if I used the milder shampoo I use now, I expect I would have complained it didn't get the twice a year dogs clean enough.

They do make dog conditioners, but I just occasionally use some of my own unscented organic conditioner diluted on topknot and tail.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
I like to bathe every two weeks but there have been times we've gone 6 weeks. I home groom. People who send their poodles for to professional groomers usually have them washed every 4-6 weeks.

I mostly use shampoo only, conditioner on the pompoms.

My DH and I are sensitive to dog oily skin smell and I suspect if I had another dog breed, it would get washed often. My daughter sends her Rough Collie to the groomer once a month - you can tell when she's been - her fur is gorgeous.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Every 1-2 weeks. At home. It goes pretty quick with a short coat and hv dryer. The intensity of cuddles for 30-60 minutes of work is wayyy worth it. A clean poodle is almost as good as clean bed sheets.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have a mutt dog who I wash every few weeks due to allergies.

I wash with shampoo and conditioner. His coat is never dry, always shiny and soft

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
When I first brought Noelle home, she had a bath once a week just to get her used to the process. Now it's a routine of bath, feet/face/tail grooming every two weeks. Full on groom every six weeks. She's technically due for a full on groom but that will have to wait. When it's -10 (-23 c), my 73 year old house freezes. No insulation behind the plaster walls. Shampoo kept in a rack on the bathroom wall feels like it was in the refrigerator. I can dry off fast enough to combat the cold rolling off the walls and floor. Noelle can't. Her full grooming will have to wait until it warms up. Glad I got her FFT (feet, face, tail) groom done last week, at least.

·
Super Moderator
7,870 Posts
Every 6 weeks or so and always with unscented shampoo. Peggy smells bury-your-nose-in-her-neck-and-deeply-inhale wonderful. But she’s still young. That could definitely change and I will adjust accordingly.

I wash my own hair weekly and can’t imagine washing it more frequently than that. My scalp would freak out.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Raffi gets bathed every 4-8 weeks. I use shampoo that has been diluted and am super careful about rinsing it out. I wash his feet (and sometimes belly) more often if necessary.
I also have a Corso (so very short coat), she gets bathed once or twice a year (and she now shares the poodle shampoo), she does not leave any residue when you pet her and she rarely smells. One of my old dogs was a mutt with a Shepherd-y coat, and she also got bathed once or twice a year. She needed lots of brushing, but she never smelled (well except for when she got into something rotten) and the brushing kept her clean. She got a bit oily when she was old but at that point she was getting bathed once a year, if that.
Honestly I've wondered about this difference too. Some of my thoughts:
Maybe poodle people (or at least the ones who put in the effort to groom frequently) are more careful with their shampoo choices, or are more aware of the importance of rinsing well.
Poodle hair is utterly unlike shedding dog hair, so should we expect similar needs?
On the other hand, skin is skin, no? Because it's the skin that can dry out from frequent baths. But maybe there is a difference in that too. After all, I was told that curly hair should be washed much less often than straight (for people).
I have, anecdotally, noticed that it seems like the people who complain about doggy smell are often the ones that bathe their (shedding) dogs more frequently. Did the smell come first and therefore the more frequent baths? Or are these people just more sensitive? Or are the frequent baths contributing to the smell problem?
Lol, no answers, but I'm going to keep bathing my poodle often and my shedding dogs infrequently.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I tend to bath Phoebe about every 10-15wks or as needed based on what the days events bring, if it rains you can bet that she will get some form of a bath as she becomes a mud messy. She definitely attracts dirt and all sorts of junk into her coat as she is what some may call a tom-girl! I use cowboy magic shampoo diluted with water and just a splash of blue dawn dish soap, then on her tk and poms I will use conditioner. During the summer we tend to stay at my family’s lake house where she is constantly in the water and being hosed off before bed. However with my shepherd she gets a bath as needed because like others have mentioned her fur does not hold dirt the same way a poodles will. Honestly I think that it really depends on the dog and the owner in the end.

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
My miniature girls before and my miniature boys now are bathed with a dog shampoo every 2 weeks +/- a day or three. If I don't use a 2 in 1 shampoo/conditioner, even when I do, I use a spray-on leave-in conditioner before, and sometimes during, blow drying. Additional full baths are sometimes necessary, depending on mud and such.

Spot cleaning of feet and legs is done as needed, sometimes also the ends of their ears, and mouths if they're fuzzing out.

I do a thorough combing with a greyhound comb or soft tipped slicker til I can run the comb or slicker from the skin out without catching tangles or mats every day or two, and always before a bath. Coat quality can make a difference in frequency.

This is especially important before bathing or getting otherwise wet. Any mats or tangles will shrink up and tighten. If not kept tangle free, the matting eventually becomes felted and very unhappy things can happen. (Deliberately cording uses that tendency to create the cords.)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have only ever taken Winnie to the groomers about once a month but only because I'm not sure how to give her a wash at home. I have a hose and bucket to wash her paws and legs after muddy rainy walks which we can do outside on the patio with warm water but its far too cold to give her a full body wash outside. Not sure what the temperature is but definitely in the minuses with a freezing wind. I don't have a bath at home only a shower cubicle and she is too big for the kitchen or bathroom sink. In the warmer weather I will be able to do it in the garden but just haven't figured out a way of washing her inside. I have thought about getting in the shower with her but I have visions of it all going very wrong. I tried a big plastic tub of warm water in the garage but she just kept jumping out and I ended up with more water on the floor than in the tub 😩

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have only ever taken Winnie to the groomers about once a month but only because I'm not sure how to give her a wash at home. I have a hose and bucket to wash her paws and legs after muddy rainy walks which we can do outside on the patio with warm water but its far too cold to give her a full body wash outside. Not sure what the temperature is but definitely in the minuses with a freezing wind. I don't have a bath at home only a shower cubicle and she is too big for the kitchen or bathroom sink. In the warmer weather I will be able to do it in the garden but just haven't figured out a way of washing her inside. I have thought about getting in the shower with her but I have visions of it all going very wrong. I tried a big plastic tub of warm water in the garage but she just kept jumping out and I ended up with more water on the floor than in the tub 😩
You're alone in that circumstance. I have a small walk-in shower with your basic fixed shower head. It's doable. If you want to level up as a furparent, then we can help. Everyone here is super supportive. You just have to ask...

·
Registered
496 Posts
You can get a attachment for your shower so it will pull down. I put my dog in the shower and use the hand hand nozzle to bathe him, I don't get in the shower with him, just kneel outside of it.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts