Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can’t get the search button to work today. This little guy gets so stinky. He had a bath Sunday and he is already a stinky guy. How often can you bathe a puppy?

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Sounds like Blueberry is having a ball!

Bathe your pup as often as needed :) IIRC the general thought is that shampoo strips oils from the hair, so it's best to bathe only once every week or two. However, there were definitely times as a puppy when I bathed Mia on consecutive days, according to how dirty she got. It may be sub-optimal if you're aiming at a show coat, but it won't do any harm.

·
Premium Member
6,629 Posts
It all depends on what they are stinky from, feces and urine earns a bath, the rest I would spot clean.
Oh yes I have a stink roller Miss Pia Maria

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have grooming spray but I'm trying not to use it until my daughter's allergies are under control. But I'll try maybe some wipes and see if that helps.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yeah, imo if you think to yourself "you're stinky", then it's time for a cleaning... I wouldn't let my hygene get to that point, so why let your pet. I try to apply the same hair rules since humans and poodles have a hair coat. 1 weekly washing w/ shampoo... spot rinse or full body as needed. Again, shampoo strips the oils.

If more then Basil's feet are gross, then we just go through the full routine (minus shampoo). She's very clean after rinsing off in the shower, and a blow dry. The whole process takes us less than 30 minutes for a clean and cuddly poodle. Yes please.

Don't forget cotton balls in the ears.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Depends on what the stink is but I used Show Sheen for horses. Spray on comb into the coat then dry. It helps repel dirt. Also helps reduce tangles. Then I spot treat with it in spots where we sit or lay in something or use waterless shampoo. I used to call him my long legged P.U.del... now I call him my Padoodle as he's out grown the P.U. part. (He's a purebred Poodle it's just a nickname).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
P.S. Peggy has never been stinky (unless you count post-swim smell), so that's why I'm wondering what specifically you're smelling and where it seems to be originating from.

I'd be concerned about allergies and/or yeast overgrowth.

Peggy gets a bath every 4-6 weeks, with an unscented soap-free product.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
If he's just stinky from rolling in the dirt or peeing on himself, then definitely give him a bath. However, stinkiness can also be a sign that he has an ear infection. Galen's ear infection smelled like fermenting corn to me.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
His ears are clean. Vet gave thumbs up. I think his puppy coat is just absorbing outside odors or something.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts