Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm dying after bathing my spoos. My back is in so much pain I want to pass out. With the weather warm, I'm using the backyard and water hose but that doesn't help. Apart from spending hundreds of dollars on a raised tub, how do those of us that have weak backs bathe a spoo without falling over? Could I take the table out there and use it instead of just having them on the ground? I know my table is made from wood so would it not rot?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
A friend of mine was able to find just a regular bathtub on craigslist for pretty cheap and her husband built her a stand type thing for it and she keeps it in her backyard. I suppose you could search around for something like that and have someone build it for you. It would still cost some money but not nearly as much as the tubs you see in groomers magazines.

This isn't hers but i found it on google

http://www.sunsetreflections.com/Harman/images/TP106WestSeascapeDogTub.jpg

Bath Central Dog Tub | Dog Bath Tubs | Dog Tubs and Washing Accessories from FetchDog

or maybe buying something like that would work as a cheaper alternative to the more expensive tubs?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow that first bathing station is really neat. Out at the humane society they have a regular bathtub (the type that is a wall and tub in one piece) with a hose but it's raised up so that you don't have to bend over. I wonder if that would be difficult to install?

·
Registered
918 Posts
The bathtub is the worst for bathing! My back, knees and all are sore after. Not to mention that usually Jasper sneaks out with a bit of soap on the side I can't reach well.

I went searching for an alternative. Not ideal, but I'm thinking I could replace my laundry sink with one of these:

Swanstone 23.375 In. x 45.375 In. x 33.625 In. Laundry Tub in White - MF-2F at The Home Depot

http://www.homedepot.com/Bath-Bathr...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I'd trim down the middle divider. And I'd have to drill the sink holes a bit differently so that we could use a tall faucet/sprayer. We'll see, still an idea in progress LOL.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a great idea except I have no laundry room sink. The laundry room is large enough for a sink but there isn't one there. I wanted to set up shop in the garage but I cannot figure out how to do a drain out there.

·
Registered
575 Posts
You can find those plastic buffet tables that fold up at wally world for about 40 bucks. THey are adjustable in height and are VERY sturdy (easily hold a 50 - 60lb dog). Put a rubber mat down on it and wash away :)

I really like that outside tub!

My tub was about $100 at Lowe's and it was built up with 2x4's that raise it up off the floor, but it's higher than what I would recommend if your only doing large dogs. Another thing you might look for is an RV type shower stall base. Put it up on cinder blocks or other raised base. They make a great "tub" because the dog is not down IN it and that makes it easier to reach the low spots :)

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
That's a great idea except I have no laundry room sink. The laundry room is large enough for a sink but there isn't one there. I wanted to set up shop in the garage but I cannot figure out how to do a drain out there.
If you do let me know.:) My old house had the perfect set up.............ahhh. I seen your post I thought OMG I am not the only one lol!! I am telling you doing 2 dogs at home is a good chunk of the day with all the clean up too. My BF is all for using the garage but again no hook ups. I do have a water hose hook up right outside but that would be cold water.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you do let me know.:) My old house had the perfect set up.............ahhh. I seen your post I thought OMG I am not the only one lol!! I am telling you doing 2 dogs at home is a good chunk of the day with all the clean up too. My BF is all for using the garage but again no hook ups. I do have a water hose hook up right outside but that would be cold water.
I need to ask a plumber how to rig warm water because my hot water heater is in the garage and my laundry room is right off from it. I think if I had a large tub they would create the warm water by both hot and cold connections together but I don't have a way to drain it.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I have been bathing Vinnie up on a grooming table in the shower for almost a year now - no problems with the table... yet :biggrin:

I would love to have an elevated tub - we have two of them at work (we use them as sinks in the kennels and bathe the occasional dog in them).

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have a booster bath, it was 150-180 and then I got the tropic shower that hooks to my hot/cold washer connections (my laundy area is in my garage) I put the drain hose under the garage door, and wash away. I have had a couple people see the water running out from under the door, and they knock on my door to let me know that my garage is "flooding" but other than that it works well.

In my old house, I would wash Kaden up on the grooming table in my shower stall, my table's core is wood, but I just set it on its side when I am done with it.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
We bathe our big dogs on the floor in a room with a drain in the middle of it in our salon. It only gets tiring if you like.. have big dogs all day. We have a bucket to sit on and it's not so bad then.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I'm no help on this one as my back aches with yours every time I have to wash the girls in the tub groan!!!! But I've been at Arreau's and she has a older tub that she has elevated and installed right in the laundry room. Its wonderful and I'm so envious.

·
Registered
681 Posts
My mini is too big for the kitchen sink, really, so he is really uncomfortable when we use it to was him, so instead, we humans are uncomfortable in our poorly designed bathroom using the tub. I told my husband, when we buy a house, we are putting an elevated tub in the laundry area and putting a hose to drain into the washer drain.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
if you have a shower with a detachable shower-head-on-a-hose thingy, you can put a small cheap table right inside the shower stall and have them up on there like AgilityIG does...

Kpoos, can you not connect a (large diameter) hose pipe to the outlet and just stick the end out the garage door into the garden for when you bath? You can roll it up and sit it in the tub when your'e not bathing so it doesn't run across your garage all the time, but it saves putting a drain in!! But if you're going to plumb it into your existing water pipes you might as well plumb the drain in too!

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
when I bathe them outside I stand them on a vinyl bench that I have on the deck and that saves my back - I also use a RapidBath system which definitely helps with the legs (that is where the bending comes in) I find with the Rapid Bath that I still want to lather up their coat with my own brand of shampoo but I don't do the legs - in winter I use my jacuzzi tub again with the rapid bath - and sit on the tub edge - wear a bathing suit lol - and do the same. I find that what really kills my back is the drying with the towel of the legs again and the feet - so much hair!!!! lol I have heard that there is a dog wash at a local car wash - ha ha - maybe try that! But really - the drying off is the worst for me - I don't use a dryer - they just wouldnt stand still for that and it take soooo long! I try to keep them short.

·
Registered
548 Posts
KPoos ... the key factor in saving your back is bathing at table height. As suggested by Cameo and a few others, we use the heavy plastic buffet size folding tables from Costco or Sams and carry them around where needed. They will fit in many shower stalls and are also great for outside. We also use a rubber mat which we purchased from Pet Edge. The advantage of the free standing table is that you can get completely around it and take it outside when the weather is nice. We have two of these tables and just used both yesterday for bathing and grooming our two spoos.

One day, of course, I would LOVE a more permanent set up :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
If my back is getting achey (as usual), in a different solution direction, I have delegated to my 9 yr old, who actually enjoys the process and does it well (bathtub at home).

When the heat is atrocious we all get outside & get wet doing it together. It is useful to have junior spoo handling help!

(And since I'm the poop-scooping, brushing, combing, toe-grinding face shaving-foot trimming-sanitary trimming between grooms gal, no one is complaining about division of labor, lol.)

·
Registered
14 Posts
After years of killing my back, I finally bit the bullet and bought a bathing systems.

I used to groom for an Afghan Breeder and she had one of the early Hydro-Surge systems. It made life so much easier. So years later - after using my bathtub and and hand held shower, it was still taking an hour or more for baths on my dogs (they weren't even in coat!). I finally spent the money and got the Oster system. Baths and conditioning now takes about 15 minutes (usually two rounds of shampoo and conditioner) - don't know why I waited so many years to get one. :doh:

It is a life saver. After baths, I let the dogs run around for about 5-10 mintues outside (the AZ sun works wonders) and they they jump up onto the grooming table and they are groomed standing up. This saves my back from so much wear and tear

1 - 20 of 31 Posts