Poodle Forum banner

Basic Grooming Tools

21651 Views 19 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  spoospirit
I need to know what are the basic grooming tools I should get for my home for in betweens. Links would be great!! I basically want/need to know what kind of brush and or comb, clippers, dryer, ets. Thanks guys
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3,285 Posts
A good rule for ears is don't put anything down there you can't get back out. Sooo I squirt cleaner on a cotton ball and clean with that rather than put it down in the ears too.

It's probably a GREAT idea to go ahead and get a tearless shampoo. Actualy you can use tearless baby shampoo according to my vet. I'm a little anal though and only use shampoo's desinged for dogs. A lot of puppy shampoo's are tearless if it helps any in finding one.

Other than that I can't think of anything else that hasn't been mentioned already.

· Registered
3,285 Posts
yup, it's a clipper, as far as reasonably price I can't give you any guidence there. It is WAY better to pay a little bit more in the short term and not have to replace them every year than to buy the cheap-o's at walmart.
If you have a petsmart near you, go to the grooming section of the store. They sell clippers off all kinds. Usually they have the cheapies out of the shelf and in a locked case they have the good stuff. I think there are some clippers in the case that are under 100 dollars and are good. You want one of those. Oster, andis and wahl all make good products, but again you get what you pay for. You don't want to invest in the cheapest ones those companines make.

Also on another note, check to see what kind of blade the clippers come with. You want one with detachable blades that just snap on and off, not the kind the have to unscrew to get off. You can purchase blades for these clippers in various lengths. The screw on kind, you get one length - to the skin - and thats about it. Avoid, for safety reasons, the type that have adjustable blades. The kind with a little lever on the side. Those are notorious for asjusting throughout the groom and giving you a really bad finish PLUS being dangerous. You could cut your dog with a blade like that pretty easily.

· Registered
3,285 Posts
I personaly can't speak to how well the C.C. products perform on white dog VS any other color. But I can say that all of the products in their line that I have tried do what they say they do. I accidently kind of dyed one of my dog's undercaot pink with the red on red (which they no longer make) oops LoL. I especialy like the thicker N Thicker stuff for adding volume. Nice :)

Other lines you might look into are Plush Puppy and Isle of Dog. I reccently discovered Isle of Dog and am immpressed so far. I've been using it on Jazz for about a 6 weeks now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.