Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else do this with their poodle?

Recently, I have started putting Tate in time out. It sounds silly, but it actually works, and he stays where I put him until I release him (if anything, it's a good sit/stay practice time.)

For some unbeknownst reason to me, Tate has started being a yappy little dog and barking while running to the window and plastering his little yappy face against the glass. This, I'm not okay with. For the past few weeks we have been practicing "no bark" when he starts to get yappy, and I praisepraisepraise when he stops barking. But that is only working so much... he has learned to cheat the system, so to speak. He stops barking long enough to get praise or possibly a treat, then starts right up again.

So now... I've just been telling him to go to his crate and stay there. He knows where to go and sits in there (looking upstairs with puppy dog eyes when I check on him) until I tell him he can come out. I've only been doing this a couple days... but I wanted to ask if anyone else did this... or if you guys thought I was completely crazy. :)

Surprisingly, it has cut down on the barking a little bit. We'll see.. earlier he ran for the window and started to rumble, but then stopped and looked at me... instead just sticking his head under the blinds and not barking. I can live with that.

·
Registered
12,500 Posts
I use "Settle down" to mean stop barking and jumping around. My dogs associate it with settling down on the bed at night (and again if they wake me up too early!), so it has positive associations for them. I also call them to me if they are yapping at a window, and make a huge fuss of them when they come. I think a time out may be a good idea - but I wouldn't use the crate. I am trying to teach them that the crate is a lovely, comfy, happy place where good dogs find wonderful treats - I wouldn't want it to be associated with anything negative! Perhaps just a mat on the floor as a timeout spot?

·
Registered
631 Posts
I teach the enough command. For us, it is a general stop what you're doing and chill out command. I started by making a high pitch noise to distract them and c/t the minute they stop.
I wouldn't use the crate as a place for punishment. You want your dog to feel safe and happy in their crate. If you want to continue using time-outs, what about a puppy-proofed bathroom?

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Vegas isn't allowed to bark in the house. Period. If he barks, or even does that little 'huff' bark, I clap my hands and sternly say 'NO!' So far he's been very non barky in the house completely, but we've been doing this since he was tiny, so time out isn't necessary.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am trying to teach them that the crate is a lovely, comfy, happy place where good dogs find wonderful treats - I wouldn't want it to be associated with anything negative! Perhaps just a mat on the floor as a timeout spot?
I think the only "punishment" he gets from going to his crate is that he is away from me. Tate is constantly by my side, and I think that the barking is him alerting me to what is outside. I tried the "Oh yeah, there IS something outside, thanks for telling me" kinda stuff, but that didn't settle him down.

Tate is the dog that goes to his crate to hide and eat a treat he has stolen, or he runs there if it is getting too rambunctious in the house. I don't feel that sending him to his crate (the door is NOT shut) gives him negative connotations about his space. His real punishment, I suppose, would be that away time from me. When he is settled, he is allowed to come out on his own, there is no unlocking of a door or anything like that, and he isn't being thrown in there when he misbehaves. I tell him to go to his crate and point, and he runs all the way downstairs and inside on his own. The only time he is regularly in his crate is when I am gone from the house and don't take him. He, like my other dogs, gets a cookie and an "I'll be back soon." He happily runs to his crate and sits on his bed waiting for his cookie and to be locked up in those instances, and I doubt that will change.

=======================

As for the bathroom... my house has all solid wood doors, and solid wood cabinetry, so the bathroom is a no-go. It works for TQ, but Tate (while freaking out about not being with me) scratches at solid surfaces when he is confined; hence him having to get a wire crate rather than his plastic one. It is actually quite weird, his whole crate situation... he freaks out if he is completely confined, but is totally fine and could care less if he is in an x-pen or a wire crate. :wacko:

=======================

Fluffy, you're so lucky with Vegas! I'm envious of the fact that you've had him for... well... nearly his entire life and have been able to train him as such. It drives me nutty not knowing why Tate has bad habits already, and that I have to train him out of those! (Doorbells... he hates doorbells. Musta lived somewhere that had one!)

·
Registered
336 Posts
strange noise under his breath for no apparent reason

Guido also needs help with barking lately. When I first got him a few months ago he didn't bark. Now that he knows his surrounding and he feels this is his home things are changing. And Goomba is away for the summer, so he feels like he's the big dog now.

I hate barking dogs. I have zero tolerance for it. I don't have a crate but I use the small bathroom/bad-room with the lights off as a form of punishment for bad behavior. :handcuffs:

However, something strange is happening...

I have a gate out front of my home it squeaks on purpose, its a doorbell for me. If someone is coming into my yard I can hear them loud and clear. :ear: But, my neighbors gate also squeaks from time to time too. I want both Guido and Goomba to bark when the gate squeaks, its a good thing and I encourage them to. That is their job.

I train them to know the difference between the command, "Speak!" and "No Bark!".

But, Guido has been making noise, woofs, yaps, ruff-ruff, arf, grumbles and makes the strange noise under his breath for no apparent reason that I can think of. Like he hears a ghost when there is nothing there. I have no clue why he's doing it. There is no reason behind it. And when I tell him 'no bark' he keeps it up. I don't know if its in defiance? He waits a few moments and then makes another under his breath woof noise. I tell him 'no bark' again and he randomly continues. He wakes me up in the morning barking under his breath for no reason at all. :eviltongue:

I put him in the bad room and sometimes he will keep it up. I tell him through the closed door 'bad dog -- no bark' sometimes he keeps it up. But he doesn't seem to 'get it'. I'm not sure how to nip this in the bud. I find it rather annoying.

I'm wondering if he hears noise in his head. Like his a schizophrenic dog?

Pleeeze help! I welcome and suggestions....

·
Registered
12,500 Posts
I suspect his hearing is far more acute than yours, and he can hear things you cannot, and he is then reacting to them. Take a look at Turid Rugaas' "Bark: the sound of a language" for excellent info on why dog's bark, and how to reduce it. If he is barking - or wuffing - because he is nervous, then scolding or punishing him may simply make it worse. I don't think he is defying you - he is just being a dog.

·
Registered
336 Posts
schizophrenic dog

fjm -- Thank you for the book suggestion. I'll pick it up.

I'm seeing a pattern here. Guido does this weird barking noises as he is in the process of falling asleep, almost like its involuntary.

I noticed it is when he is relaxed and about to fall asleep or waking up like he a schizophrenic dog hearing things in his head.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts